Nintendo Switch

On 14/02/2021 at 12:00, probotector said:

supplemented with niche interest games like Pikmin, a series where every entry has flopped hard. 

Apart from the recent Pikmin re-release, which has sold really well....so..

Shut the fuck up. Pikmin games deserve more sales, they need to stick  with them - release Pikmin 4 etc

I want a new Wave Race as mush as the next guy - but I’m not calling for them to stop making anything else in order to make it. Let them make what they want to make. Let them surprise us with mad shit like Labo. It’s what they do. I don’t want them to be E fucking A.

I don't so much want a new one - didn't think much of Blue Storm - but I would love Wave Race 64 to come to the eshop.

I'd happily pay usual new release price for a physical release.

Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the N64 they'll do a racing all-stars.  Wave Race, F-Zero and 1080.

(dreams on)

On 14/02/2021 at 11:21, probotector said:

Have Nintendo even ever had two wins in a row? They always get big headed and fuck up their follow up console!

Which of Nintendo's consoles are we calling failures?

Wii U I'll give you, but what else? N64? Sold better than the Mega Drive, and nobody calls that a failure. 3DS? Sold more than the NES. GBA? Sold even more than that.

The GameCube is often considered a failure, but IIRC it had a massive tie ratio so sold one hell of a lot of software.

NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Switch, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS have all been successful. Some more than others, but none of them poorly. Just because they sold fewer than rivals doesn't make them a failure. Otherwise Tesla would be failure if you're referencing Ford.

Plenty of people call the Mega Drive a failure to be fair, albeit not in the UK.

But comparing cross generation doesn't quite work, the game (sorry) changed.

"No-one" calls the Amiga a failure but the combined sales of every model of Amiga made is less than half that of the Wii-U and about half a Dreamcast.

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I don't so much want a new one - didn't think much of Blue Storm - but I would love Wave Race 64 to come to the eshop.

I'd happily pay usual new release price for a physical release.

Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the N64 they'll do a racing all-stars.  Wave Race, F-Zero and 1080.

(dreams on)

Poor old Excitebike.

People call all sorts of stuff failures, but arguably, there are actually few real failures. The DC was a failure, because it did not save SEGA and they pulled out of hardware. Nintendo haven't really had a failure, really. I've never played on a Wii but it's one of the most popular consoles ever made, which is mad. I am about to get my first PS2 this week.

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

The GameCube one wasn’t great. Or the Game Boy one. 1/3 hit rate. I might just agree. A new excitebike/truck would be welcome though. 

Excite Truck, definitely Excite Truck, such an underated game IMO, came and went and is still stupidly cheap, get it bought played and enjoyed if you have not already :)

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

People call all sorts of stuff failures, but arguably, there are actually few real failures. The DC was a failure, because it did not save SEGA and they pulled out of hardware. Nintendo haven't really had a failure, really. I've never played on a Wii but it's one of the most popular consoles ever made, which is mad. I am about to get my first PS2 this week.

The WiiU skirts pretty bloody close given they replaced it inside 3 years.

4 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Sold more than 500k in Japan alone (not counting digital either) - so for a re-release I think it's done more than well enough. It's clearly going to be over 1m WW - and if we're going to say 1m+ is 'flopped hard' territory now then there are a lot of games that fall into that category.....

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The WiiU skirts pretty bloody close given they replaced it inside 3 years.

WiiU is a stone cold failure. Hence why Nintendo feel safe recycling all their games for it because for 99% of people they are brand new Switch games. 

The guy also totally forgot about the Virtual Boy. 

14 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Sold more than 500k in Japan alone (not counting digital either) - so for a re-release I think it's done more than well enough. It's clearly going to be over 1m WW - and if we're going to say 1m+ is 'flopped hard' territory now then there are a lot of games that fall into that category.....

Defo not flop territory, but not mega hit. Certainly compared to the kind of sales increases we're use to seeing with Switch releases. 

I like Pikmin so do hope we get a 4th but it's perhaps not quite the no brainer that it should be. 

11 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

WiiU is a stone cold failure. Hence why Nintendo feel safe recycling all their games for it because for 99% of people they are brand new Switch games. 

The guy also totally forgot about the Virtual Boy. 

I'm standing straight on the first 5 minutes of the next Yesterzine here but the Switch really is just the Wii U again as well.

It's the exact same idea realised in the way they probably should have done it the first time, the Wii U was the right idea just a little too early and slightly in reverse (a home console that could (sort of) be portable rather than a handheld that could be a home console.

13 hours ago, Tomcat said:

That’s easily the best thing I’ve read in 2021 so far. 

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm standing straight on the first 5 minutes of the next Yesterzine here but the Switch really is just the Wii U again as well.

It's the exact same idea realised in the way they probably should have done it the first time, the Wii U was the right idea just a little too early and slightly in reverse (a home console that could (sort of) be portable rather than a handheld that could be a home console.

The tech wasn’t advanced enough or cost effective to do it in 2012, just look at the size of a Wii U.