Nintendo Switch

Is there any comfortable way to play Super Mario Galaxy in handheld mode?

I want to start playing my stuff in handheld mode more - in most 3rd party games, playing on the TV is silly because it looks better and is normally far easier to buy on other consoles but if I can sit on the sofa and play Galaxy I'd be so happy.

Touchscreen is mandatory I presume? And if so - how, exactly? No way I could play and touch at that same time but want to check if anyone else played handheld.

I played through 90% of the game in handheld mode. Some of the mini game stages use the touchscreen and others use tilt, which isn't as nice in handheld mode. You quickly get used to swiping at star bits on the screen as you play. 

My launch Switch has decided to blue screen all of a sudden. It’s had plenty of use, but this has come out of the blue (ho, ho). Gutted really, as I wanted to have another play through BoTW.

I don’t suppose anyone knows a way to fix it? I’ve had a look around, but can’t find anything that works. I’ve watched enough 11 minute videos that don’t offer a solution at the end to last me a lifetime.

Failing that, does anyone know how much Nintendo charge to fix them? If it’s prohibitively expensive, I’ll probably just offer it up to someone on here for spare parts.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I played through 90% of the game in handheld mode. Some of the mini game stages use the touchscreen and others use tilt, which isn't as nice in handheld mode. You quickly get used to swiping at star bits on the screen as you play. 

Ah thanks! I haven't played Galaxy in years - I thought using the Wii pointer to pick up floating stars was like an almost constant which was putting me off!

Thanks again!

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

My launch Switch has decided to blue screen all of a sudden. It’s had plenty of use, but this has come out of the blue (ho, ho). Gutted really, as I wanted to have another play through BoTW.

I don’t suppose anyone knows a way to fix it? I’ve had a look around, but can’t find anything that works. I’ve watched enough 11 minute videos that don’t offer a solution at the end to last me a lifetime.

Failing that, does anyone know how much Nintendo charge to fix them? If it’s prohibitively expensive, I’ll probably just offer it up to someone on here for spare parts.

I would be interested in it for parts for sure, although if you have a heat gun, it might be worth trying to reflow the CPU first, as that would be my first effort, before stripping it for bits if that failed.

If you're in the market for just a tablet, as you've already got the other bits, I might have a spare, I'll need to check how many docks / full setups I have first and see, but think there is at least one or two kicking about.

4 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I would be interested in it for parts for sure, although if you have a heat gun, it might be worth trying to reflow the CPU first, as that would be my first effort, before stripping it for bits if that failed.

If you're in the market for just a tablet, as you've already got the other bits, I might have a spare, I'll need to check how many docks / full setups I have first and see, but think there is at least one or two kicking about.

Thanks Mike, but I’ve no idea what reflowing the CPU even means, so I think I’m best leaving it alone!

I’m definitely interested in the tablet portion though, if you’ve got a spare. To be honest, it’ll only ever be used docked anyway.

Let me know if you’ve got one and maybe we can take this to PM to sort out?

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Thanks Mike, but I’ve no idea what reflowing the CPU even means, so I think I’m best leaving it alone!

I’m definitely interested in the tablet portion though, if you’ve got a spare. To be honest, it’ll only ever be used docked anyway.

Reflowing a cpu, or indeed any chip that is soldered to a circuit board, means you roast the chip with a heat gun to the point where the solder that attaches the chip tto the board becomes liquid and you can then remove the chip or replace the chip. Your sort of unbonding it from the board. 

An example of this being used to repair consoles is with the PS3 and wiiu which had dodgy hdmi chips on the board. They sometimes needed to be reflowed i.e the solder need to be melted so the chips could be replaced with new ones or just moved slightly to sort the connect out when the whole thing cooled down.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

I'll give you a shout tomorrow, currently STILL fighting with my iMac, trying to get the PoS back to a working state, it's been 4.5 hours so far :(

8 hours ago, JPL said:

Imminent release of Switch Pro confirmed. 

I just dusted my switch off for some evening play in bed, and remembered it doesn’t support Bluetooth headphones. :facepalm:

is there a decent low cost Bluetooth solution, or should I just invest in a pair of wired headphones?

33 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I just dusted my switch off for some evening play in bed, and remembered it doesn’t support Bluetooth headphones. :facepalm:

is there a decent low cost Bluetooth solution, or should I just invest in a pair of wired headphones?

I think someone is selling one in trading atm

I don't even give an shit about the drift, it's more that I had to hold them up in the air so my leg or a cushion didn't nuke the fucking signal to the Switch. Total Borrower tier pieces of shit. 

39 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I don't even give an shit about the drift, it's more that I had to hold them up in the air so my leg or a cushion didn't nuke the fucking signal to the Switch. Total Borrower tier pieces of shit. 

I’ve had two Switches. A launch one and a second I got in November 2018. 

I had an awful time with the first with joycon & pro pads not keeping a connection. 

When I got the new one the difference between them was just silly. The new one had twice the Wi-fi signal of the old one in the same spot and had zero issues with joycon connections. 

I still have the defective one in a cupboard as I could t bring myself to sell it to someone else. I might take it apart and see if there’s an aerial not connected or something. 

Was showing my girlfriend the Super NES and NES game apps on her new Switch, and she hadn’t realised that it was a whole range of games ready to play, rather than a digital shop window. And once aware of the games, she found it irritating to identify the games because over the over-detailed menu design. Suspect she’s not the only person who didn’t realise that having an online sub gives access to old classic games as part of the package. Or have problems selecting the games to play. Nintendo could’ve designed it all rather better.

55 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Was showing my girlfriend the Super NES and NES game apps on her new Switch, and she hadn’t realised that it was a whole range of games ready to play, rather than a digital shop window. And once aware of the games, she found it irritating to identify the games because over the over-detailed menu design. Suspect she’s not the only person who didn’t realise that having an online sub gives access to old classic games as part of the package. Or have problems selecting the games to play. Nintendo could’ve designed it all rather better.

Everything, to be honest.

I've still not worked out how to talk with mates and also hear game audio. It's a bit embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Everything, to be honest.

I've still not worked out how to talk with mates and also hear game audio. It's a bit embarrassing.

Yeah, much as I like the ability to play Super Metroid and Pop’n Twinbee on a cool console/handheld hybrid (the most incredible thing my 12-year-old self could’ve ever imagined),

the execution is lacking. I mean, minor thing perhaps, but the optional scanlines are just plain awful. Not a patch on the M2 or Hamster releases. Have to admit that I haven’t dared attempt the online play feature yet due to doubts over how well it might work...

16 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Just looking at the calendar here... it would bit weird for them to do a Direct during the weekend, but they’re gonna have to if they want to get the usual January one in on time.

29th Feb is when we’ll get the Jan Direct I’ve heard.