Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, gratuitous sax said:

Given you are out of warranty you don’t have any contractual recourse against Nintendo (as manufacturer), so I think you are limited to kicking up a fuss with them to see if they can offer you a better outcome. 

Alternatively, your contract is with the retailer you bought the console from, so you could try complaining to them. The law implies a term into each consumer contract that the goods supplied have to be of satisfactory quality, which includes durability.

So you could complain to the retailer that you would expect a £300 family console designed for everyday use to last more than 20 months, and see where that gets you. As a consumer, you would not expect to have to replace an item like this every two years.

That’s probably a difficult argument to maintain without any evidence of an underlying hardware defect (unless you can get something in writing from Nintendo about what has caused the fault?), and you can see why the retailer might take the opposite view that, given the console has developed the fault after 20 months of wear and tear, then that doesn’t mean it wasn’t of satisfactory quality when they supplied it.

It wouldn’t be worth the time, effort, cost and risk to pursue it any further if you can’t sway the retailer, but some retailers (e.g. Amazon) will prioritise customer service over their legal responsibilities, so it’s worth a shot. Even if they don’t offer a full refund or replacement, you might get something out of it to soften the blow of the repair cost.

Even if you struck gold and the retailer accepted responsibility for remedying the fault, they would almost certainly offer you a replacement rather than a repair. Which means you would lose your Animal Crossing island forever with, I’m afraid, no legal basis to sue them for the extreme emotional damage which would inevitably follow.

Hope that helps anyway.

You can transfer your animal crossing island. I am not sure if you need both old and new consoles to do it, but there is a way.

4 hours ago, gratuitous sax said:

Given you are out of warranty you don’t have any contractual recourse against Nintendo (as manufacturer), so I think you are limited to kicking up a fuss with them to see if they can offer you a better outcome. 

Alternatively, your contract is with the retailer you bought the console from, so you could try complaining to them. The law implies a term into each consumer contract that the goods supplied have to be of satisfactory quality, which includes durability.

So you could complain to the retailer that you would expect a £300 family console designed for everyday use to last more than 20 months, and see where that gets you. As a consumer, you would not expect to have to replace an item like this every two years.

That’s probably a difficult argument to maintain without any evidence of an underlying hardware defect (unless you can get something in writing from Nintendo about what has caused the fault?), and you can see why the retailer might take the opposite view that, given the console has developed the fault after 20 months of wear and tear, then that doesn’t mean it wasn’t of satisfactory quality when they supplied it.

It wouldn’t be worth the time, effort, cost and risk to pursue it any further if you can’t sway the retailer, but some retailers (e.g. Amazon) will prioritise customer service over their legal responsibilities, so it’s worth a shot. Even if they don’t offer a full refund or replacement, you might get something out of it to soften the blow of the repair cost.

Even if you struck gold and the retailer accepted responsibility for remedying the fault, they would almost certainly offer you a replacement rather than a repair. Which means you would lose your Animal Crossing island forever with, I’m afraid, no legal basis to sue them for the extreme emotional damage which would inevitably follow.

Hope that helps anyway.

Thanks for this, I had assumed it was not worth the effort but I needed someone to tell me :) I was just pissed off yesterday.

I'll maybe give it a go with Curry's but don't hold out much hope. Looking into 3rd party repair places to see if I can get it done cheaper - if not will prob look to replace with a Lite at some point in the future.

On 04/11/2020 at 00:29, Welrain said:

I’ve not touched my switch for a while,now, even Mario 3D all stars was a quick play and then shelved. Is there anything coming up in the near future that I’d regret missing if I just sold it?

Sounds like you’ve skipped Hades there son.

Get that remedied!

Lockdown 2 has prompted me to look at buying a Switch. Possibly when Black Friday happens soon.

My last console was PS3 and I really enjoyed Dead Space, Metal Gear games, and NFS Hot Pursuit... I see NFS is released soon for Switch, but what about Deadspace or stealth type games? Alien: Isolation any good on Switch?

Is there a Switch 2 or Pro around the corner that makes buying now a bad idea?

51 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

Is there a Switch 2 or Pro around the corner that makes buying now a bad idea?

I (and by 'I', I mean people on a few different podcasts I listen to) reckon that there's something in the pipeline for March/April next year. Not that I have any real evidence, mind, beyond a few games being scheduled to release around then, including the new MH game, which looks pretty technically demanding, for the current Switch, anyway, and also that the Mario collection is going to stop being available by then, which suggests they're going to make the games in it available separately, along with Galaxy 2, most likely.

But who knows? :coffee:

It’s being talked about in some of the mainstream outlets like it’s an open secret on the scale of this year’s iPhone SE. If it’s coming out in spring - which also seems a given - then probably third party devs have seen it and may be talking about it off the record with journalists.

21 hours ago, bear said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/hori_releases_accessibility_controller_for_the_nintendo_switch

I think this is cool. I know you could get the Xbox accessibility controller to work through using a Mayflash( that's the crowd right?) adaptor but that's an extra layer of something to go wrong. Hopefully it's a success for Hori. 

This is excellent news. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0862HJBQN/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_1285150262?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&linkCode=sl1&linkId=ef9c00282c74716d0048b5151827e1fa&tag=gamesasylum00-21

Wonderful 101 £24.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YM4DGWK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&linkCode=sl1&tag=gamesasylum00-21&linkId=86931fdb67282b3c08ef5eba4234d6e3&language=en_GB

Avicii Invector £13.99

On 12/11/2020 at 18:49, Twinbee said:

My son is petitioning for the Switch version of Minecraft (as the excellent PS3 version is no longer supported).

I heard it was dreadful, but has it been fixed?

I honestly don't know. There was some fuckery to do with Microsoft accounts or something.

I’m completely fed up with Nintendo fannying about with my broken joy con. They want more than £40 for the repair, which is more than the thing is worth, and refuse to entertain dropping the repair cost or offering a straight swap. 

Do I have a leg to stand on here? Or is my rage completely impotent? It’s joy con drift, of course - second time sending it back, first time outside of the warranty period. 

Naturally I already bought a new set of joy cons in the mean time, not to mention the hundreds of pounds I’ve already poured into their coffers through Switch purchases alone. I think the fact that they’re quibbling and refusing to meet me half way is what irks the most. Customer satisfaction, or a perceived sense of what’s fair and unfair, doesn’t factor into it for them. 

In a world of Amazons and Microsofts, who are prioritising customer service, this really rankles. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I’m completely fed up with Nintendo fannying about with my broken joy con. They want more than £40 for the repair, which is more than the thing is worth, and refuse to entertain dropping the repair cost or offering a straight swap. 

Do I have a leg to stand on here? Or is my rage completely impotent? It’s joy con drift, of course - second time sending it back, first time outside of the warranty period. 

Naturally I already bought a new set of joy cons in the mean time, not to mention the hundreds of pounds I’ve already poured into their coffers through Switch purchases alone. I think the fact that they’re quibbling and refusing to meet me half way is what irks the most. Customer satisfaction, or a perceived sense of what’s fair and unfair, doesn’t factor into it for them. 

In a world of Amazons and Microsofts, who are prioritising customer service, this really rankles. 

Seriously? £40 ?!? If it is JUST drift, send it to me, I'll do it for the cost of the stick and the postage.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

My kids switch is coming back unrepaired as they wanted £200, going to try and do it myself. 

I haven’t returned any joycons - just been using contact cleaner but having to do it more regularly. 

We have 4 sets of joycons in the house and each one of them has at least one controller with drift, they’re totally crap and it does leave a bad taste despite the obvious greatness of the console/games. 

53 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Seriously? £40 ?!? If it is JUST drift, send it to me, I'll do it for the cost of the stick and the postage.

Stick drift and one of the dpad buttons stopped responding to input. 

Im not crazy, am I? There’s no way the repair could or should cost more than the unit is worth because the unit is valued at how much it costs in components to build, plus labour and profit. If all they’re doing is replacing a few of those components, it logically can’t cost more than a new joy con; ignoring the fact that no one would accept paying more to refurbish that which is valued at less for new. 

What is the considered opinion for a second controller on switch?

Preferably wireless as I use an 8bitdo dongle to connect a 360 controller wirelessly and it stops me plugging in another controller due to the size of my dongle(fnarr fnarr)

looking for a 360 type controller

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Stick drift and one of the dpad buttons stopped responding to input. 

Im not crazy, am I? There’s no way the repair could or should cost more than the unit is worth because the unit is valued at how much it costs in components to build, plus labour and profit. If all they’re doing is replacing a few of those components, it logically can’t cost more than a new joy con; ignoring the fact that no one would accept paying more to refurbish that which is valued at less for new. 

This was mentioned earlier but like almost all electronics companies, Nintendo have contracted out UK repairs to a bunch of randos because it'd be uneconomical for them to run their own repair centre here. I'm sure it's a question of how much the repair firm thinks they can charge and how little they can get away with doing, and Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with the process.

On 21/11/2020 at 15:47, FuntimeDave said:

Thanks 

It made me realise I should have put 3rd party controller.  It will be for the occasional gaming with the kids so cannot justify the high price point for the pro.

Someone is selling a pro controller in trading - buy that. 

On 21/11/2020 at 15:47, FuntimeDave said:

Thanks 

It made me realise I should have put 3rd party controller.  It will be for the occasional gaming with the kids so cannot justify the high price point for the pro.

AliExpress knock-off Pro Controller. About 17 quid and is perfect except for the absence of NFC and HD rumble.

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll post it here. Kotaku have done an article about the history of Monolith Soft and it's a great read. 

https://kotaku.com/from-xenogears-to-xenoblade-the-history-of-monolith-so-1845759844/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Even as a Nintendo fan, they're absolutely my favourite Nintendo studio. I can't think of any other studio than 'get' overworlds as well as they do. 

Although bear in mind the games are not on the cart, so what you're buying is a digital copy you need a cart in to play.

It's £24 on the eShop and in this case, since the cart will be useless if Ninty turn off the servers anyway, is the better buy.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Although bear in mind the games are not on the cart, so what you're buying is a digital copy you need a cart in to play.

It's £24 on the eShop and in this case, since the cart will be useless if Ninty turn off the servers anyway, is the better buy.

The first game is on the card, so I wouldn't say its useless.