Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Think you're going to have to contact them, I had a quick squint on my order page and there's no way to change the payment that I can find.

Aye, I’ve got onto them and been told that the payment was successfully made but that there’s an error with dispatching it. That strikes me as odd as I doubt Nintendo are shipping the consoles this long before release! It’s supposed to be the 13th I think? Hmm, I’m resigned to expecting some fun shenanigans but we’ll see!

7 minutes ago, Welrain said:

I’ve not touched my switch for a while,now, even Mario 3D all stars was a quick play and then shelved. Is there anything coming up in the near future that I’d regret missing if I just sold it?

The fact you're asking this question should tell you everything you need to know.

Just had a note from Nintendo that they want £200 to repair my kids Switch.

They are Diagnosing as "Main Board Faulty - Out of warranty" - basically it would not charge.

Obviously I don't really want to pay £200 to repair a 20 month old console. So, what are the chances of pursuing this using consumer law, is it negligible?

I don't think I will get it repaired anyway, probably rather get a Lite or hope for something on Black Friday (unlikely I know).

3 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Just had a note from Nintendo that they want £200 to repair my kids Switch.

They are Diagnosing as "Main Board Faulty - Out of warranty" - basically it would not charge.

Obviously I don't really want to pay £200 to repair a 20 month old console. So, what are the chances of pursuing this using consumer law, is it negligible?

I don't think I will get it repaired anyway, probably rather get a Lite or hope for something on Black Friday (unlikely I know).

Wonder if its just the battery that has died? 

£200 seems excessive though.... 

On 05/02/2020 at 12:45, Alexlotl said:

Nintendo have got back to me about my Switch, which wouldn't start any games, either from card or the internal storage. The email from repairs just said "damage due to disc read error".

Called up customer services (evidently offshore) who seemed to have no idea why that category was chosen, and apparently the main board needs replacing. £53.50. They couldn't say whether the replacement board would be a die shrink.

Anyone else had to have a main board repair?

See above - same issue only cost me £54 back in February, something fishy going on there. Switch was a similar age, about 22 months old. It was an original model, rather than the die-shrunk better battery one.

What I actually got was a completely different Switch (again, original model) with a different serial number, minus all my saves.

3 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

See above - same issue only cost me £54 back in February, something fishy going on there. Switch was a similar age, about 22 months old. It was an original model, rather than the die-shrunk better battery one.

What I actually got was a completely different Switch (again, original model) with a different serial number, minus all my saves.

Thanks for this. I guess I'm going to have to call them and try and work something out. Not getting the same switch back will be another issue (Animal Crossing specifically) but we can just deal with that if needed.

Honestly if it was under £100 I'd have just grudgingly paid it. £200 just seems wrong though, I mean are they saying all the other bits including JoyCons are only £70 all in?

Will give them a call.

2 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Thanks for this. I guess I'm going to have to call them and try and work something out. Not getting the same switch back will be another issue (Animal Crossing specifically) but we can just deal with that if needed.

Honestly if it was under £100 I'd have just grudgingly paid it. £200 just seems wrong though, I mean are they saying all the other bits including JoyCons are only £70 all in?

Will give them a call.

How handy are you with a screwdriver?

Maybe worth a go? Looks easy enough. I expect the average battery life to be around 24months so guessing its what the problem will be. That or the USB C port is damaged.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

How handy are you with a screwdriver?

Maybe worth a go? Looks easy enough. I expect the average battery life to be around 24months so guessing its what the problem will be. That or the USB C port is damaged.

I'm ok actually. I will def consider this rather than pay £200. Didn't want to invalidate the warranty but apparently that's goosed anyway :)

I'll see what they say on the phone - I wouldn't have thought the port would be damaged - the dock kind of guides it in, so even with kids using it should be ok but who knows.

I've found the Switch generally pretty poor quality (love the console obvs) - even mine which I couldn't have looked after better has cracks around the vents on the top and the JoyCons are all knackered.

It still had some charge when we put it in the dock and the green light on dock started flashing and it wasn't charging.

Went through some troubleshooting, tried a different dock, tried plugging in to mains adapter (all official ones) and it just would not register that it was charging in any way.

Eventually the battery died. I tried it again before sending off, left it plugged in a few hours as I'd heard sometimes it needs a bit of charge to even wake, but nothing.

Typing this had made more skeptical of the "main board" being broken as the actual switch was working fine, just running out of power. I guess that board prob   does some sort of power regulation though.

I lost faith in Nintendo with my Switch repair.  They told me that they had extended my warranty by 12 months every time I had to send my broken JoyCons back to them, but then when the system itself failed it turns out that they only extended the warranty on the bits that broke. I paid £55 for my repair which lasted one day so I sent it off again.  When it came back (2 months in total without a console) it was in a cardboard box with no inner padding, just bouncing around.  

I suggest  if your console is out of warranty there's little reason to choose Nintendo as a repair centre.  They are shit at what they do, and there's loads of 3rd party places that will surely repair your console quicker and locally.

RepairTech are the official Nintendo repair centre in the U.K. https://www.repairtech.co.uk

Their focus used to be on quantity rather than quality (they had very low margins and didn’t track failed repairs), it doesn’t sound like it’s changed much. If you’re out of warranty there’s lots of online guidance for doing it yourself, or find an individual or repair shop who will give it more TLC. 

The robbing bastards at Nintendo want £41 and 56 penneth to repair my broken left joy con, which prices the repair marginally higher than a straight replacement.

Only snag is I don’t seem to be able to find singles for sale anywhere - Nintendo’s U.K. online shop has minging grays listed but out of stock. 

Does anyone have experience in this area? Are the repairs people actually going to replace mine with a new one anyway, making it a fairly reasonable exchange?

If it’s anything like an in warranty repair they just replace the stick and return it to you. (The serial number always matched on my repaired blue one.)

In the US they released separates of the blue L and red R joycon for a slight discount recently, something like $40. Even after VAT, shipping and the Parcel Force convenience fee it could still be cheaper to get one of those.

My new 400Gb micro sd card arrived today.  I copied the data from the old one onto my mac, and then copied it back onto the new card.  Inserted it in the switch and powered up and it says it cannot read the micro sd card.  I formatted it in the switch and checked on the switch and it recognised it as an empty card of the correct capacity.

On plugging back in to the computer the "Nintendo" folder was still there which was unexpected.  I deleted it and copied the data back over again, plug it back into the console and it again says it cannot read the card.  Plugging it back into the mac and I can read it fine and see all the data.

WTF is going on?

51 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

My new 400Gb micro sd card arrived today.  I copied the data from the old one onto my mac, and then copied it back onto the new card.  Inserted it in the switch and powered up and it says it cannot read the micro sd card.  I formatted it in the switch and checked on the switch and it recognised it as an empty card of the correct capacity.

On plugging back in to the computer the "Nintendo" folder was still there which was unexpected.  I deleted it and copied the data back over again, plug it back into the console and it again says it cannot read the card.  Plugging it back into the mac and I can read it fine and see all the data.

WTF is going on?

Formatted it again and stuck it in my mac to find a bunch of files created on there.  So this time I left them in place and copied the differences over.  This time it didn't complain that the card was unreadable, and showed 128GB in use but it still insisted I needed to download all my games again. 

I'm giving up now and just going to format it again download everything from scratch.  :angry:

On 04/11/2020 at 14:09, Alshie said:

Given you are out of warranty you don’t have any contractual recourse against Nintendo (as manufacturer), so I think you are limited to kicking up a fuss with them to see if they can offer you a better outcome. 

Alternatively, your contract is with the retailer you bought the console from, so you could try complaining to them. The law implies a term into each consumer contract that the goods supplied have to be of satisfactory quality, which includes durability.

So you could complain to the retailer that you would expect a £300 family console designed for everyday use to last more than 20 months, and see where that gets you. As a consumer, you would not expect to have to replace an item like this every two years.

That’s probably a difficult argument to maintain without any evidence of an underlying hardware defect (unless you can get something in writing from Nintendo about what has caused the fault?), and you can see why the retailer might take the opposite view that, given the console has developed the fault after 20 months of wear and tear, then that doesn’t mean it wasn’t of satisfactory quality when they supplied it.

It wouldn’t be worth the time, effort, cost and risk to pursue it any further if you can’t sway the retailer, but some retailers (e.g. Amazon) will prioritise customer service over their legal responsibilities, so it’s worth a shot. Even if they don’t offer a full refund or replacement, you might get something out of it to soften the blow of the repair cost.

Even if you struck gold and the retailer accepted responsibility for remedying the fault, they would almost certainly offer you a replacement rather than a repair. Which means you would lose your Animal Crossing island forever with, I’m afraid, no legal basis to sue them for the extreme emotional damage which would inevitably follow.

Hope that helps anyway.

On 04/11/2020 at 08:29, Welrain said:

I’ve not touched my switch for a while,now, even Mario 3D all stars was a quick play and then shelved. Is there anything coming up in the near future that I’d regret missing if I just sold it?

Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors is all that’s left this year, and Firness Boxing 2 - Mario 3D World next Feb, that’s all we know at present Nintendo wise. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

@Jonny5 did you put the new card in the Switch first, and have the Switch format it? This is what I did and it worked like a charm. 

Yep, tried that with no luck. It’s not the end of the world, it’ll download it all over night and gives me chance to clear out some old demos.