IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Switch Pro rumours doing the rounds again, now coming 2021:

Even if I did give these rumours any credence (which I don't), I really don't think I'd be in a rush to run out a pony up for a Pro model at this point. I play my Switch docked 95% of the time as it is, so things like a bigger screen and Bluetooth support aren't going to be a system seller for me. I'd be more interested in the internals, like a better APU that results in improved performance and fewer frame drops, sort of like what they did with the *new* 3DS, but then that upgrade was hardly a success for them so you can kind of tell why they haven't gone down the Pro route yet.

I'm not really sure who the market would be for a 'Pro' model that only has external improvements, as opposed to internal ones as well, unless you predominantly use it undocked and want a bigger/higher-quality screen and BT support for your commute (not that anyone's committing now), but if they're going to get it to run at 1080p undocked then they're going to have to put a better chip in it anyway.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Do we know if Nintendo will repair drifting Joycon (launch version) for free? I realise it’s been covered a million times before but I’m unsure on their current stance.

Quoting since I don’t want the question lost to previous page oblivion.

30 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Quoting since I don’t want the question lost to previous page oblivion.

Try your luck appears to be the going approach.

A friend got his kids drifting joycons fixed out of warranty a month or so ago, he just registered the repair and sent them in and they can back fixed without charge. 

Support if you ask them however still seem to indicate it’s a chargeable repair in the UK (unlike the states where they will fix them regardless due to the class action suit).

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Does nVidia even make a SoC Nintendo could build a new Switch around?

Switch has an X1 variant. There's the X2, Xavier and Orin (due next year) that are similar architecture but higher spec, so yeah, they do.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Aren't the new Tegras all geared towards machine learning for self-driving cars?

That's their main selling point but the GPU component of the Orin apparently does RTX. Not sure why a self-driving car needs that.

At the heart of Huang’s keynote was the announcement of Nvidia’s next-generation graphics processor (GPU) architecture known as Ampere. The Nvidia Drive AGX Orin series is based on this new platform. Ampere is the successor to the current Turing architecture that powers Nvidia’s RTX 20xx series video cards. However, the current generation Nvidia Drive platforms including Xavier are based on the predecessor to Turing known as the Volta. 

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Does nVidia even make a SoC Nintendo could build a new Switch around?

There was something in one of the recent(ish) leaks that pointed at Nvidia working on a proper 5nm Tegra replacement. I cant remember exactly where I read it though unfortunately.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Yes, the switch SoC is two or three generations old iirc. 

Probably not enough of a gap for a 4k switch 2 or whatever, yet mind. 

My money is Switch 2 doing 4K via DLSS. Portable screen 1080p tops. Digital Foundary will do a thousand videos zooming in on edges but the mass market will not care. 

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

DF have been big evangelists of the technology, these days they’re frequently saying that “native 4K” probably isn’t worth pursuing compared to better upscaling and anti-aliasing measures. I’m sure they’d be delighted.

That won't stop them zooming in on edges and artefacts. And I'll be sitting watching it despite not particularly caring. 

21 minutes ago, kensei said:

My money is Switch 2 doing 4K via DLSS. Portable screen 1080p tops. Digital Foundary will do a thousand videos zooming in on edges but the mass market will not care. 

Makes total sense. And digital foundry are actually all for dlss, they did a video showing in some cases it's better than actual 4K!

They do the zoom ins for people watching on phones. You really can't see any difference otherwise. 

On that note, John from DF is doing a commentary track for a Blu Ray release of Street fighter the movie. Amazing. 

And now Bloomberg are reporting about the upgraded Switch - with 4K capability. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021

The specifications of the new machine have yet to be finalized, though the Kyoto-based company has looked into including more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics, people briefed on the strategy told Bloomberg News, asking not to be identified because it’s private.

The release of the upgraded Switch would be coupled with, or followed by, a slew of games from Nintendo itself and related outside studios, the people said. Those games would address a wide range of players, from casual gamers seeking small doses of escapism to more devoted fans putting in marathon gaming sessions. The focus on next year’s pipeline explains Nintendo’s relatively quiet software release schedule so far this year, the people said.

10 hours ago, deKay said:

That's their main selling point but the GPU component of the Orin apparently does RTX. Not sure why a self-driving car needs that.

anything involving RTX cores that would be suitable would currently start at the price of the current switch, not the few pennies that Nintendo will have in their bill of materials for a SOC.

neither of those two things is going to change in the next six months