rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

22 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there a recommended USB-HDMI adaptor people use for a Switch on a second TV or for travelling?

There is, but I can't find mention and I don't have one. You MUST use the official PSU though, whatever dock you get else you risk bricking the Switch.

Someone reading must know what the best one is.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rgraves said:

Superdata Research:

:o:hat:

Any idea of physical sales? 

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Any idea of physical sales? 

We'll find out in Nintendo's quarterly report on May 7th. Although it will only track the first 7 days. It's going to be huge, though - it sold approximately 2 million in the US alone to the end of March. 

• Upvote 1

Couple of interesting games on the eShop today - anyone played them to share thoughts? While True: Learn() and Super Pixel Racers.

Itta looks like a great bullet hell twin stick adventure game but I have enough of them to play, so might wait for a price drop.

Would be interested on thoughts on Super Pixel Racers...

On 18/04/2020 at 20:56, Tomcat said:

Is Coffee Crisis any good?  There's a copy in my local store.

Anyone played Coffee Crisis?

I'll be getting it with my Evercade but before then I can't tell you. I've heard it spoke highly of though.

It's likely this is people reusing passwords that have been compromised elsewhere though, right?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's likely this is people reusing passwords that have been compromised elsewhere though, right?

Many people over resetera said they had unique passwords from password managers. Unless nnid is a separate login but can also be linked to your Nintendo account. Nintendo really has way too many account systems in place.

3 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Anyone played Coffee Crisis?

I bought it for a £2 last month. 

I love side scrolling fighters...it just didn’t feel right to me.

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Unless nnid is a separate login but can also be linked to your Nintendo account. Nintendo really has way too many account systems in place.

It is, yes.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I've genuinely no idea which of the 8 million Ninty accounts I've had over the years this is.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah I've genuinely no idea which of the 8 million Ninty accounts I've had over the years this is.

I don't think it really matters - just log into your current Nintendo Account, update your password, make sure you have 2FA turned on. Probably unlink your NNID as well if you really want to be sure (and it's linked in the first place).

So we’ve 10 more years until 90’s Arcade Racer? Bah.

• Upvote 2

On 24/04/2020 at 19:15, Revival said:

80's Overdrive is out on May 7th.

80s-Overdrive_04-24-20.jpg

Doesn't immediately grab my attention the way final freeway did.

On 23/04/2020 at 13:55, probotector said:

That is pure profit for Nintendo. They get pretty much the whole £50 bar bandwidth and server costs.

Have they stopped paying tax now?

• Upvote 2

My Genki Covert Dock finally arrived the other day. I've used it once so far but very impressed with it whilst playing Cuphead on the TV. Also just tested it on a couple of laptops and they dual screen without a hitch (one was a GPD Pocket 2 which also charged and my Dell work laptop which just did the dual screen).

I've found the travel adapters really hard to remove though. Took me ages to remove them as I was worried I'd break it if I tried forcing them off.

20200425_101210.jpg

20200425_101226.jpg

20200425_101319.jpg

• Upvote 2

I can't my head around this. 

All the advice points to using an official power lead with any third party docks. 

What makes this so different? It's not as if it's an official 1st party accessory. 

16 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

I can't my head around this. 

All the advice points to using an official power lead with any third party docks. 

What makes this so different? It's not as if it's an official 1st party accessory. 

Presumably it provides the correct amount of power which most third party power supplies don't.

• Upvote 1

I think that was eventually debunked - although the power regulator in the Switch was what was usually broke, implying a power issue, there’s no reason why any of the PSUs used should have caused a problem. Nobody has had any problem with those PSUs when they are connected directly to a Switch without a dock.

Conversely, third party docks of the drop-in type were always involved. It is known that the Switch dock uses a non-standard, loose USB-C plug that allows you to insert and remove the console easily, and third parties don’t have a specification for that. It is very likely that third parties’ own version of that loose plug was shorting pins that shouldn’t be shorted and sending big volts on pins that shouldn’t carry them.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I tracked down what I was thinking of.  

There is one area in which the rumors of Switches getting bricked due to proprietary, non-standard Nintendo design is correct, however. Nintendo wanted the Switch to slide very smoothly in and out of its dock—but the USB-C mechanical design spec doesn't allow for that. So Nintendo's own dock for the Switch is very slightly narrower than the USB-C standard in order to provide the desired smooth slide instead of the usual snug click.

Third parties want to emulate that mechanical feel as closely as possible, but there's no published standard—they basically just take a stab at it and hope for the best. Given that the standard already has pins spaced only 0.5mm apart, even a slight design or manufacturing defect is likely to cause a port to fail.

The main point of the story, which I'd forgotten, was that there was a specific Switch dock (and presumably some off-brand derivatives of it) that was sending 9V down a pin that was meant to take 6V.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/heres-why-nintendo-switch-consoles-keep-frying/

There's no reason not to use any competently-put-together USB-C charger with the Switch, and there's no reason for the Switch to be more vulnerable to bad USB-C chargers than your phone would be. But I'd be really wary of anything third-party that was an actual "dock", which the Switch dropped in to directly instead of through a cable.

• Upvote 3

Indeed. I’ve always used a belkin usb c cable plugged into my Ikea multi usb charger. My switch has been fine. 

One thing I forgot to add was that they recommended USB-C 3.1 cables which is included, I think it's something to do with passing through as DisplayPort video.

• Upvote 2