rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, probotector said:

The faster we forget the GameCube era the better.

Nothing but miss after miss and probably has the worst iteration of every big Nintendo Franchise not to mention the death of Rare.

In hindsight the only game that seemed complete was Liugis mansion and that was Pretty short. 

Oh it's an april fools post isn't it?

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, probotector said:

Nothing but miss after miss and probably has the worst iteration of every big Nintendo Franchise not to mention the death of Rare.

In hindsight the only game that seemed complete was Liugis mansion and that was Pretty short. 

Metroid Prime 

Animal Crossing

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Were all highlights. Both MP and PM:TTYD are still the best versions of their franchises. Animal Crossing has only been beaten this year. 

• Empathy 1

I will have to disagree with you in relation to Metroid Prime.

That has nothing to do with Metroid bar borrowing some design ques. Plus Super Metroid is the king of that franchise.

Animal Crossing was a port of the N64 version. Never played paper mario as I’ve never been a fan of the series. 

Mario Kart DD, Sunshine, Wave Race, Wind Waker, all poor. F-Zero GX was good but the handling wasn’t as good as X.

Overall, I had high hopes for the GC but it was bitter blow after blow. Mario Galaxy aside, It’s only with the Switch that they’ve gotten their groove back.

So much so that I’m purely a Switch gamer now.

So let’s focus on what matters...remakes of Mario 64 and Galaxy!!

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, probotector said:

Animal Crossing was a port of the N64 version. Never played paper mario as I’ve never been a fan of the series. 

This kind of reductive arguing sucks, I meaning who fucking cares, no one had heard of Animal Crossing until the Game Cube.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This kind of reductive arguing sucks, I meaning who fucking cares, no one had heard of Animal Crossing until the Game Cube.

Let's face it all arguing sucks.... As long as people are enjoying their games then great....

Everyone will have an opinion on something but as to enjoyment value that is completely subjective. So trying to convince people why something like say Mario Sunshine is not the best Mario etc?! Waste of time. Sure there might be a concensous out there but then sometimes I've hated games that are supposed to be amazing according to the reviews etc.

Anyway ..... Perhaps stick to the things we enjoy/ed about the game and keep things positive .. not sure.... 

• Upvote 1

Metroid Prime was also way better on the Wii with its great pointy controls. It turned a great game into an all-time classic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Probably because it was called Animal Forest.

Question. 

Partner got given a 256GB MicroSD card at work (something to do with her boss and phone upgrades or something), so going to swap it out for the 128GB in the Switch. Are saves all stored on the Switch itself? Not bothered about re-downloading the actual games, but don't want to lose my saves. 

16 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

Probably because it was called Animal Forest.

Yeah and was released in Japan only on the 64 DD as far as I know so played by basically no one. Game Cube was where the series started in earnest. 

9 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Question. 

Partner got given a 256GB MicroSD card at work (something to do with her boss and phone upgrades or something), so going to swap it out for the 128GB in the Switch. Are saves all stored on the Switch itself? Not bothered about re-downloading the actual games, but don't want to lose my saves. 

if you have nintendo online they're stored in cloud 

6 minutes ago, denisb said:

if you have nintendo online they're stored in cloud 

Not all of them though. 

Edit: Stopped being a lazy prick and Googled it. Stored on the system memory. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah and was released in Japan only on the 64 DD as far as I know so played by basically no one. Game Cube was where the series started in earnest. 

No, it was N64.

The DS version was much better than the gamecube version. You could visit other people too. And its portable ( the way AC works best).

However the gc version with the retro games was pretty amazing.

8 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

No, it was N64.

I thought it made use of the internal clock on the DD unit allowing for time of day play that AC became known for? I’d imagine a stand-alone N64 version to be quite a different experience without it, regardless my point remains - the series only became known outside of Japan on Game Cube, arguing it’s just an N64 port is kind of pointless given the context, and yes I know it wasn’t you who presented that argument but you appear to defending it - if not...

3 hours ago, probotector said:

Yeah Resident Evil 4 debuted on GameCube. 

So did Viewtiful Joe. 

Oh, and Smash Brothers: Melee was amazing. 

Oh yeah, Pikmin 1 and 2. And DK: Jungle Beat. 

And Super Monkey Ball. 

Otherwise, yeah. 

• Upvote 6

If you guys had been saying that Mario Sunshine was your favourite Mario game and had some nostalgia attached to it then fair enough.

But let’s not go on about how it’s the best Mario game or even one of the best. It’s probably Mario’s lowest moment. It felt like something Sonic Team had shat out. 

The Game Cube was a fine console with some great games, but it was a low point for Nintendo. It’s just that a low point for Nintendo is still better than 99% of the stuff out there!

• Upvote 1

The GameCube was an amazing console, last pure gaming console until Nintendo found their mojo again.  Disliked the DS to WiiU era, characterised by gimmicky hardware innovations being prioritised over original gaming concepts, felt like Nintendo believed that the hardware made the game not the other way round. They were definitely on a road towards a more lifestyle app and software company under Iwata too with just the core franchises getting the sequel  treatment to appease their loyal fans. Definitely took a swerve away from that with the switch, one of my fav consoles ever and could possibly be my favourite ever by the end. I hope future hardware just expands upon what they’ve created here. 

• Upvote 4

Don’t get me wrong, the GC was great, but it was clear that Nintendo were lost during that era. All of their mainline franchises got sequels that were IMO the worst in the series bar Smash and Fzero.

The Wii and DS eras were even more of a disaster.

One thing I’m concerned about is the lack proper new games on the Switch. They seem to be treading water. It feels like they are righting wrongs they made in recent years with games. 

Can’t complain too much as their games on switch have been top notch return to form.

The time is right for a new Wave Race and FZero!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

The DS version was much better than the gamecube version. You could visit other people too. And its portal ( the way AC works best).

However the gc version with the retro games was pretty amazing.

You could visit other people on the GC too. I often did for turnip related reasons.

44 minutes ago, deKay said:

You could visit other people on the GC too. I often did for turnip related reasons.

I guess , but that was by memory card only which was pretty limiting. I think a lot of people created second towns too. Recall the game including a memory card just for the game itself.

Had a quick play of Arkanoid Vs Space Invaders on the way to work.

You control the Arkanoid paddle at the bottom of the screen (portrait mode) and move it with your finger to block and return the aliens' fire.

Doesn't seem to be an option to use the normal controls, unless I haven't found it yet.

Quite fun, but has that mobile phone port feeling.

8 hours ago, probotector said:

Don’t get me wrong, the GC was great, but it was clear that Nintendo were lost during that era. All of their mainline franchises got sequels that were IMO the worst in the series bar Smash and Fzero.

The Wii and DS eras were even more of a disaster.

One thing I’m concerned about is the lack proper new games on the Switch. They seem to be treading water. It feels like they are righting wrongs they made in recent years with games. 

Can’t complain too much as their games on switch have been top notch return to form.

The time is right for a new Wave Race and FZero!

:facepalm:

9 hours ago, Azrael said:

Apart from all those amazing games, and the Wavebird, the GameCube was shit. 

image.jpeg.4d7c81c85436dac71d8a6bebd45cfe30.jpeg

• Upvote 2