rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Never understood why the Switch never got analogue triggers like the 'Cube. There again the Wii didn't either. Odd really given the other consoles both sport them. Probably cost saving knowing Nintendo but does seem a backward step after the cubes were so good IMHO.

I think there might have been an interview, maybe an Iwata Asks, which talked about the importance of the Wii U gamepad's weight not being too much and analog triggers were one of the things they got rid of to keep that down. And the battery probably.

• Upvote 1

If you look at a tear down on a GC pad the analogue triggers needed a huge amount of space behind them. I can see why they wouldn’t work on a smaller controller very well. A shame as they’re one of be great fidget toys. 

• Upvote 2

So if Mario 64 comes out I hope it’s as the inaugural N64 emulator game - a little freebie up front to sweeten the whole deal before we end up parting with £30 for each successive rerelease. 

It would also guarantee more N64 games to come; conversely a stand-alone release would pretty much rule out N64 emulation joining the NES and SNES, which would be rubbish. 

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

So if Mario 64 comes out I hope it’s as the inaugural N64 emulator game - a little freebie up front to sweeten the whole deal before we end up parting with £30 for each successive rerelease. 

It would also guarantee more N64 games to come; conversely a stand-alone release would pretty much rule out N64 emulation joining the NES and SNES, which would be rubbish. 

I can see Mario 64 starting the N64 Switch Online games later this year. Then we'll start getting releases - Mario Galaxy 1&2 HD pack, Sunshine Remake and Super Mario World Deluxe. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Justice for Sunshine, finally!

will we finally get the fabled 3D version?

With what, Labo VR?

If they were just to port the N64 version of Mario 64 I'd much prefer the more modern DS version ported instead, with proper analogue movement finally. If they regretted the other playable characters slant they had they could just limit it to Mario with a bit of extra work.

But yes, a 64 port would suggest further 64 ports down the road, although they seem reticent to start up the ditched Virtual console again. The subscription model for NES/SNES is much better.

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

Mario All-Stars 2

Just do that Nintendo, make all the monies. 

That's what I'd like; a lovely little compilation, that's available physically so I can easily share it with the children. I suspect I'll be disappointed though. 

(Relatively disappointed, I mean. This is still magnificent news)

I hope 64 isn't just a port but a proper rebuilding of the game to be HD. It really deserves a proper tech upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if they do do a compilation - why charge £40 for a collection of ports when they can charge us £20-30 (and the rest, probably) for each one and we'll all lap it up?

• Upvote 2

Mario 64 should get a full upgrade really. I mean it's a pretty basic looking game with rather small areas so a full remake isnt totally out of order. If mario controls like he does in odyssey well that would be great.

The way the Eurogamer report is worded, it’s a port not emulated.

Hope it’s not the shitty DS abomination though.

• Upvote 1

I’m having a weird issue where my left JoyCon disconnects while I’m in handheld mode. Not sure if it’s on both sets of JoyCons, but will test when I get a chance. 

A quick Google says try to give the connections a clean out, but just thought I’d check in with a bunch of people I trust (that’s you) first?

They’re never gonna bundle 3D World with four other games when they’ve just been selling us a NSMBU port at full price. Surely. 

• Upvote 3

3D World Deluxe would likely be a separate standalone release. The hope is that 64, Sunshine and the Galaxies might end up on a ‘Super Mario Allstars: The 3D Years’ sort of compilation.

I have a creeping suspicion that Galaxy 1 and 2 are going to get overlooked here.  Nothing to substantiate this, it just feels like Nintendo are gonna hit the Wii U port of 3D World, Sunshine and 64 and won't want to saturate that play style.  I think it's a travesty (and hopefully won't happen) but maybe they'll think the Galaxy games are a bit too close to  Oddessy for comfort and skip those ones.

Grargh!

It does seem unlikely that Nintendo would release Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World Deluxe so close together. I won't be surprised if we just see 64 (as part of Nintendo Switch Online) in September and 3D World Deluxe at some other point in the year.

30 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

It does seem unlikely that Nintendo would release Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World Deluxe so close together. I won't be surprised if we just see 64 (as part of Nintendo Switch Online) in September and 3D World Deluxe at some other point in the year.

"Seems unlikely", but multiple sources are saying that Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are all coming this year, as is a new Paper Mario and a deluxe version of 3D World.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

"Seems unlikely", but multiple sources are saying that Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are all coming this year, as is a new Paper Mario and a deluxe version of 3D World.

475.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;))

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I know. Although, as already mentioned, I don't think Eurogamer has any credibility as far as Nintendo rumours go.

This is all too much. Just ordered a Switch lite - it’ll turn up months from now but can’t wait! 

• Upvote 2

Don't get your hopes up for Mario 64 being anything other than launching the N64 collection on Switch just like NES and SNES.  

Every other game will be sold standalone.  C'mon guys - you know this.  It's Nintendo ffs.

I hope they do with sunshine what they did with Wind Waker.  A proper eye popping colourful version of that could be gorgeous.

and I will buy every one of them.

• Upvote 3

Mario 64 in the Odyssey engine is surely going to happen, right? I mean, they made one of the levels already.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Mario 64 in the Odyssey engine is surely going to happen, right? I mean, they made one of the levels already.

What level?