IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Not Thread Owner

I lucked out and got one from Smyths Toys recently - they’re listed on Stock Informer but you don’t get alerts, so worth keeping a manual eye on them.  They’re ridiculously scarce at the moment. I continued getting Stock Informer alerts for a few days and they’d all gone by the time I clicked on the alert link every time - something to do with bots scooping up all the stock for price gougey resellers - bah.

Mine is for my soon-to-be 12 year old son’s birthday. Any tips on setting it up? Let’s assume we’ll probably end up with a lite too at some point for his little brother and/or me - can you share digital purchases between accounts like on PS4? Are saved games stored on the switch or on the cart? Anything else a Nintendo noob needs to know?

Oh, and do I need to lie about his age so that he can play Fortnite with his mates?

Was just thinking about the mass shortage of Switches, and think Nintendo have missed a trick here by not rereleasing the Wii U as 'The Lockdown Switch', the one you can't take out but you are staying at home anyway.

There are plenty of the same games, for cheaper prices too. 

In all seriousness, the Wii U for £65 or whatever it is is a very viable alternative to the Switch, while there is this shortage of them. I fired up SM3DW yesterday, and forgot how good it is. Going to revisit The Wonderful 101 later today I think.

Keep an open tab on Stock Informer set it to bleep any time there’s a page update, rather than relying on their emailed alerts. I haven’t had to hunt for a Switch but I’m pretty sure that’s how I managed to nail my PSVR a few years back.

I also set up an alert with Nintendo UK, they must surely be first in line to get some?

My youngest has now said she doesn’t even want a Switch. It’s too late for that though, the wheels are in motion.

So Tesco had an Animal Crossing one, which I have provisionally purchased. There’s nothing less good about that one is there? Google says it has the improved battery life. I guess the only ‘downside’ is AC being a code...

5 minutes ago, DC said:

So Tesco had an Animal Crossing one, which I have provisionally purchased. There’s nothing less good about that one is there? Google says it has the improved battery life. I guess the only ‘downside’ is AC being a code...

Got the Animal Crossing Switch, and the battery lasts ages.

25 minutes ago, DC said:

Youve won a watch there, the AC Switch is so hot right now. 

You’ve absolutely nailed it @DC. That AC Switch is a thing of beauty.

Oh, and AC being a download code is actually a huge plus. That game begs to be permanently installed and accessible at any time without the faff of tiny cart swapping for “quick dips” in and “out” (he says after 200+ hours of Animal Crossing submergance)

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You could even buy that AC one, sell it for a profit and then buy a normal one when they come back in stock. 

Ah this isn’t how I roll, thanks though.

This is wonderful isn’t it? I’m already thinking of getting Mario Party and two more controllers. We’ve played a bit of Snipperclips and my daughter loves it. Is it good or does the novelty wear off? Any other good party / local multiplayer games for us?

1 hour ago, DC said:

This is wonderful isn’t it? I’m already thinking of getting Mario Party and two more controllers. We’ve played a bit of Snipperclips and my daughter loves it. Is it good or does the novelty wear off? Any other good party / local multiplayer games for us?

Yeah I’d keep it myself - it’s a lovely bit of kit that AC one.

Multiplayer wise Overcooked is great fun especially if you’re considering more joycons, Mario Kart is amazing, and Mario Party is good fun too although takes at least an hour to play. 

Did you pick up any other games with your Switch? Can’t imagine your children playing much else mind once they get going on Animal Crossing - I don’t get a look in anymore :hmm:

Just now, Jackson said:

Heave ho is my favourite local co op game on switch, it's hilarious and avoids the frustration/stress of Overcooked. Both is the best option though of course!

What’s Heave Ho? Too many games on Switch! 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

What’s Heave Ho? Too many games on Switch! 

It is indeed amazing. Me and my other half spent an evening on it the other week. It's hilarious. 

2 hours ago, DC said:

Can vouch for The Stretchers, and also Good Job. Though depends on how old your kid is, but both are fantastic couch co-op. 

5 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

You’ve absolutely nailed it @DC. That AC Switch is a thing of beauty.

Oh, and AC being a download code is actually a huge plus. That game begs to be permanently installed and accessible at any time without the faff of tiny cart swapping for “quick dips” in and “out” (he says after 200+ hours of Animal Crossing submergance)

Plus AC has already had 2 gigantic patches, so it's not like you'd be saving all that much space at this point anyway.

So I’m going in on some more Joycons so we’re good for four players. Are third party ones to be avoided for any reason? I’ll pay the full Nintendo price if it’s worth doing so. I’ve heard TCGS talking about drift on the official ones, does that affect all the controllers? Any recommendations for anything particularly good?

Got Heave Ho and Hidden In Plain Sight. Going to go for Mariokart and Mario Party I think. I assume MK is comfortable to play with the joycons?

Do people use dock socks or screen protectors? Is the dock scratching the screen an overblown issue?

Ive not felt this feeling in a while. It’s excitement.

Mario Kart plays perfectly with joycons yeah, I don’t know about any other fully functioning third party ones btw i.e. that can be detached from the console and used separately with motion controls, IR camera, hd rumble etc. so go for the official ones, there are some cool colours available. 

My wife and kids presented me with a Switch Lite as an early birthday present, along with a copy of Animal Crossing - which means I can start my own island and leave my daughter’s Switch alone!

I immediately bought Hyperlight Drifter as although I got it for free on PC I was never going to get around to playing it, but the Switch opens up more gaming opportunities! 

Anyways, I’m looking for a shooter... I love Cave and Psikyo titles but TATE mode isn’t really an option with a Lite.

I’ll probably get Gunlord and Sturmwind as I loved them on Dreamcast.

Any thoughts or recommendations? How are vertical shooters like Gunbird 2 on the small screen?

@StoooTube

Can I recommend Rolling Gunner first of all? It's a hori doujin, ex-Cave dev, very visible, great fun. 

I'd say the Psikyo stuff is fine because visibility tends to be pretty bold. You can get the Alpha and Bravo Psikyo compilations which work out decent value. Likewise, Ikaruga is just about possible for the same reason, backgrounds are a bit indistinct but bullets and enemies very clear. I'd also say Psyvariar Delta is fine because it has very bold bullets and a number of visual options for hit boxes and stuff. Danmaku Unlimited 3 also very visible. ESP.Ra.De less so in handheld, for me. 

The Lite also seems to have a proper D-pad so that's another thing in its favour. 

The Psikyo collections are excellent. I recommend them both, one of them has Sol Divide which is proper shite but all the others are great. Psyvariar Delta is a must so is Danmaku Unlimited 3. Darius collection too if you’re looking for a retro shooter.