rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Never played this.... Love the film. Am I in for a treat? 

Yes. It’s not the plot from the film though.

4 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

My son want a (non-Mario) racing game. Ideally with real cars. He was looking at TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge and Gear Club Unlimited 2. 

Any views on those games or alternative recommendations. 

It's not 'real' cars, but I got quite a bit of fun out of Rise: Race the Future

• Upvote 2

I thought that Blade Runner game had had the source code lost or something. Edit: it was, sounds like the developer is doing some cool stuff to work round that. 

It's a really good, unusual and underplayed classic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Yes. It’s not the plot from the film though.

Yeah. I've seen a few articles about it in Retrogamer.. always looked like a cool game. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Wow!  There's a game I'd never thought I'd see again. A friend lent me this when it came out tonks ago. Might actually finish it this time. 

Just need Privateer 2 now (for Clive Owen) and maybe Spycraft. 

6 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

My son want a (non-Mario) racing game. Ideally with real cars. He was looking at TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge and Gear Club Unlimited 2. 

There was a nice response on here, but I really enjoyed Asphalt 9, which is free, and you can play a fair bit before hitting a pay wall (which in turn is time limiting unless you pay to advance which is kinda pointless imo).

All that said, for a kid there is loot box stuff etc so you may prefer to avoid

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

GRID is a full fat driving game with bags of content. Get that.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, deKay said:

This is fantastic news! I remember this coming out around the time I started reading PC Gamer who did a huge feature, but my lowly computer couldn’t run it. I pretty much forgot about it until just right now!

Man, I finished it (Bladerunner) a couple of times back in the day.

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

I thought that Blade Runner game had had the source code lost or something. Edit: it was, sounds like the developer is doing some cool stuff to work round that. 

It's a really good, unusual and underplayed classic. 

With my cynic’s hat on, what a strange coincidence that they’ve managed to do all the hard work of reverse engineering it just after the open-source ScummVM added support last year. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

With my cynic’s hat on, what a strange coincidence that they’ve managed to do all the hard work of reverse engineering it just after the open-source ScummVM added support last year. 

And GOG released the original in December.

Finished Murder By Numbers which was fucking excellent.

13 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Get it - its really good :)

What are the benefits of having one over the regular joycons with a grip? Any idea if it's more comfortable than the Satisfye?

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What are the benefits of having one over the regular joycons with a grip? Any idea if it's more comfortable than the Satisfye?

For me its full size thumb sticks and larger face buttons.  

Basically it feels like playing with the Switch Pro controller but in handheld mode.

It has its disadvantages (mainly no gyro and no rumble and also it does make the Switch rather long) but it is massively more comfortable than any grip that I've tried and massively better for any game that relies on duel stick control

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

For me its full size thumb sticks and larger face buttons.  

Basically it feels like playing with the Switch Pro controller but in handheld mode.

It has its disadvantages (mainly no gyro and no rumble and also it does make the Switch rather long) but it is massively more comfortable than any grip that I've tried and massively better for any game that relies on duel stick control

I see, cheers. Shame about the lack of rumble. Do you miss it?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Finished Murder By Numbers which was fucking excellent.

I've just started it. Breezed through the tutorial and started the game proper feeling confident. Until I got to the first puzzle......think I may need to do this when I am more awake!

I've never played picross before so I think I just need to get my brain into gear. I understood everything in the tutorial but in practice on a wider grid I can see how challenging it could potentially get. 

Yeah, the biggest early trick you'll realise that say, 4 4 in a 10 grid means you can actually fill in several squares even though it might not seem like it at first.

39 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, the biggest early trick you'll realise that say, 4 4 in a 10 grid means you can actually fill in several squares even though it might not seem like it at first.

Yes. Just had this revelation. Plus I hadn't realised that 1, 4 for example has to be entered in the same order. I thought it could be 4, 1 or 1,4. :doh:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I did a bit of a comparison when I got it but long story short, not as comfortable to hold as the Satisfye because the grips aren't as big/round but the buttons and sticks are vastly more comfortable to use and the D-pad is excellent. It also slides into the dock more easily with the Hori Split Pad joycons attached. 

I've barely used the Satisfye grip since I got these and I play on handheld quite a lot more now, given that the D-pad is better than the Pro Controller. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers @Stanshall. I may have to buy it. I'm sure there are some games that are dependent upon rumble, though, no? Often games will use it to tell you when you're near a secret, or something like that.

42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers @Stanshall. I may have to buy it. I'm sure there are some games that are dependent upon rumble, though, no? Often games will use it to tell you when you're near a secret, or something like that.

Aside from Odyssey, I can't think of anything but I'm sure there will be. I still play 80/90% docked but Hori is the best and only way I play handheld now, and I play that way more than ever.

As an aside, I actually find the HD rumble in the joycons annoying and rattly/buzzy but it might just be that both of my sets are defective. Certainly, I would never have rumble on if I were on public transport. I don't miss it in handheld at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Aside from Odyssey, I can't think of anything but I'm sure there will be. I still play 80/90% docked but Hori is the best and only way I play handheld now, and I play that way more than ever.

As an aside, I actually find the HD rumble in the joycons annoying and rattly/buzzy but it might just be that both of my sets are defective. Certainly, I would never have rumble on if I were on public transport. I don't miss it in handheld at all. 

Ordered! Hopefully I'll be good for Animal Crossing in handheld mode.

What with this, the Pro controller, SNES controller, Bluetooth dongle, Satisfye grip, case and screen protectors, my Switch accessories bill is getting to be near enough to what I played for the actual bloody console...

• Empathy 1