Jump to content
rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Recommended Posts

Xenoblade is barely a JRPG and it's not even in the top 10 of JRPGs. Heathens.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warface is now on the Switch if that interests anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Xenoblade isn't barely a JRPG and it's not even in the top 10 of JRPGs. Heathens.

Wrong. It’s better than BoTW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Wrong. It’s better than BoTW. 

 

BoTW isn't a JRPG either. Sheesh!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BotW is the best game ever, Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG ever. Both things can be true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lasted about 15 hours on Xenoblade before the urge to batter the protagonist's face in every time he said the same fucking thing over and over got the better of me.

 

FFXII is the correct answer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

BotW is the best game ever, Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG ever. Both things can be true. 

 

Xenoblade Chronicles isn't a JRPG, so it simply can't be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Adrock said:

 

Xenoblade Chronicles isn't a JRPG, so it simply can't be true.

 

This stance is new on me. Why isn't it a JRPG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

BotW is the best game ever, Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG ever. Both things can be true. 

 

Dragon Quest XI shits all over Xenoblade from a great height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

Dragon Quest XI shits all over Xenoblade from a great height.

Piffle, my good man. And I say that as a former fan of the DQ games. If I had to make a top 5 best JRPG's, it would be:

 

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Skies of Arcadia

3. Grandia

4. Final Fantasy XII

5. Chronotrigger

 

Dragon Quest VIII would probably just be outside my top 5, however. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xenoblade 'isn't barely' a JRPG? Actual, factual madness. It's more ambitious and inventive than the strictly inflexible DQ series (11 is a jump forward, though) but it never strays from the JRPG genre for a second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deKay said:

Warface is now on the Switch if that interests anyone.

Is this on the UK store? Been waiting for a good online shooter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

Is this on the UK store? Been waiting for a good online shooter. 

According to Eurogamer, yes. But it’s not on the Nintendo site yet.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Piffle, my good man. And I say that as a former fan of the DQ games. If I had to make a top 5 best JRPG's, it would be:

 

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Skies of Arcadia

3. Grandia

4. Final Fantasy XII

5. Chronotrigger

 

Dragon Quest VIII would probably just be outside my top 5, however. 

I think you and me might secretly by the same person. 
 

(not played Grandia yet but do have it on my ps classic). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

 

This stance is new on me. Why isn't it a JRPG?

 

It's an MMORPG without the MMO. It's gameplay style, battle system, UI and looting mechanic has been ripped, wholesale, from the MMORPG genre.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrock said:

 

It's an MMORPG without the MMO. It's gameplay style, battle system, UI and looting mechanic has been ripped, wholesale, from the MMORPG genre.


So basically it’s not a JRPG because you don’t like the battle system and want nice familiar menu based combat. Got it.

 

Funnily enough, I’d say your description is a fair one for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But Xenoblade 1 & 2 are character-driven JRPGs through and through. There’s more to an RPG than the battle system. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing unraveled 2 at the moment (~£6.50 in the sale). It's lovely really enjoying it. The artwork is great it's a really chill out platformer/puzzler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, deKay said:

According to Eurogamer, yes. But it’s not on the Nintendo site yet.

downloading now on the uk store 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this might be about the battle system. Presumably Xenoblade's bedfellow FFXII isn't a 'True JRPG', with its similar masked turn-based battle system. You could slap FFVI into a huge open world MMO map and give it some MMO elements and it'd still remain a JRPG. Purists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:


So basically it’s not a JRPG because you don’t like the battle system and want nice familiar menu based combat. Got it.

 

Funnily enough, I’d say your description is a fair one for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But Xenoblade 1 & 2 are character-driven JRPGs through and through. There’s more to an RPG than the battle system. 

 

It depends how loose you are with the definition of a JRPG. The multitude of horrible loot drop side quests that rely on RNG for a chance of a drop are straight out of MMORPG's.

 

The battle system isn't something that needs to be set in stone for a JRPG, I welcome innovation in fact, but not when it's lifted directly from MMORPG's. The accepted MMORPG battle system is unsatisfying and generally very boring. That precludes it's inclusion from the JRPG genre alone, let alone the above.

 

It is, plainly, ripped directly from MMORPG mechanics. Which is why it's tiresome, I persisted with it for bloody ages and I can play just about any JRPG. I consider myself the JRPG arbiter and I've made my judgment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, donpeartree said:

So an RPG, then. 

A Japanese RPG.

 

Wrong. It's an RPG. Which is what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Adrock said:

 

Wrong. It's an RPG. Which is what I said.

"Wrong! It's not an RPG! It's an RPG!" :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I’m transferring one switch to another is it pretty easy to do? Got an extended battery model to replace my battered original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donpeartree said:

"Wrong! It's not an RPG! It's an RPG!" :lol:

 

You're failing to get it. Xenoblade is a bog standard RPG with horrible mechanics, a grating main character and very few, if any, redeeming features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Piffle, my good man. And I say that as a former fan of the DQ games. If I had to make a top 5 best JRPG's, it would be:

 

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Skies of Arcadia

3. Grandia

4. Final Fantasy XII

5. Chronotrigger

 

Dragon Quest VIII would probably just be outside my top 5, however. 

List is upside down!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrock said:

 

You're failing to get it. Xenoblade is a bog standard RPG with horrible mechanics, a grating main character and very few, if any, redeeming features.

I don't like it, either. Doesn't mean it's not a JRPG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.