IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

AI and Games did a great little vid about why Rabbids is so good. Personally, I really like it. It's one of those games where you think it wouldn't be possible to take out certain bits (the stress and anxiety) and still keep the essence of it, but they did it.

14 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Yeah, happens when undocked but going to power options and picking restart sorts it out.

I’ve ordered some contact cleaner anyway, what’s good for lifting the rubber seal thing?

I just used a cotton bud and nail varnish remover on mine (if not taking the joycon apart). Swish it around the base of the shaft :blink2: and the soft rubber should just move out of the way. 

Does sound like the console is the guilty party, unfortunately. 

Finally bitten the bullet on a Switch Lite with Animal Crossing, I think it's just what's needed right now.

I'm out of the loop with all this though - do I need a Nintendo Online Subscription for Animal Crossing?

44 minutes ago, Baz said:

Finally bitten the bullet on a Switch Lite with Animal Crossing, I think it's just what's needed right now.

I'm out of the loop with all this though - do I need a Nintendo Online Subscription for Animal Crossing?

Yes, for the multiplayer elements. No if you just want to play single player. The multiplayer stuff is a big part of the experience, however, even if it is janky as all balls.

A year's sub to Nintendo Online is about £17-18, I believe, cheaper from sites like CDKeys, so it's cheaper than the equivalent from MS or Sony. Worth it!

48 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, for the multiplayer elements. No if you just want to play single player. The multiplayer stuff is a big part of the experience, however, even if it is janky as all balls.

A year's sub to Nintendo Online is about £17-18, I believe, cheaper from sites like CDKeys, so it's cheaper than the equivalent from MS or Sony. Worth it!

Thanks for the reply. What sort of multiplayer elements are there? Worth it for Animal Crossing?

1 hour ago, Baz said:

Thanks for the reply. What sort of multiplayer elements are there? Worth it for Animal Crossing?

Yes, I'd say so, definitely. With multiplayer you can visit other people's islands to have a nosy, exchange items/furniture/flowers/fruits, etc, some of which you won't be able to access without online. You need online to take part in the turnip trading minigame to earn mad dollar, and also to send letters with gifts to other players. It's a big part of the game. Last night I spent an hour on another forumite's island having a tour, competing in an obstacle race and taking group photos. Can't do any of that without online. Have a look in the dedicated AC thread and the trading one - lots of the things people talk about in there require online.

Edit:

None of this is to say that the single-player experience isn't great, by the way, because it is, but the multiplayer enhances it, for sure.

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, I'd say so, definitely. With multiplayer you can visit other people's islands to have a nosy, exchange items/furniture/flowers/fruits, etc, some of which you won't be able to access without online. You need online to take part in the turnip trading minigame to earn mad dollar, and also to send letters with gifts to other players. It's a big part of the game. Last night I spent an hour on another forumite's island having a tour, competing in an obstacle race and taking group photos. Can't do any of that without online. Have a look in the dedicated AC thread and the reading one - lots of the things people talk about in there require online.

Edit:

None of this is to say that the single-player experience isn't great, by the way, because it is, but the multiplayer enhances it, for sure.

Thanks, it sounds like I'll be doing that then. Will join in with the fun in the AC thread when I'm up and running with it.

Yeah, I've seen that on there before and as a Hanwell resident I rushed to find out if it was THE Hanwell. Imagine, virtual recreations of a ... I dunno, a reasonably nice park with a big viaduct through it? A very small clocktower that nevertheless has a cafe named after it? A pub that proclaims the very long-ago year it was built, but then also the much more recent year it was rebuilt entirely? So disappointed to find it was just a generic name made up by somebody American for the game which doesn't actually look all that good.

4 hours ago, Baz said:

if you can get added to someone’s family account, it’s much cheaper. Most charge about £5 to be added

Quick question about Zelda saves, cloud or otherwise:

I have a friend who wants a Switch and Zelda, but can't find one.

I've offered to lend them mine, since it doesn't get any play, but if they do, will they be able to transfer just their User's Zelda save when they eventually buy one? 

Don't want to do a full system transfer, and their account on my switch won't be the primary one. But who wants to lose hours of progress when they get their own machine?

Can it be done, or should they wait?

2 hours ago, milko said:

Yeah, I've seen that on there before and as a Hanwell resident I rushed to find out if it was THE Hanwell. Imagine, virtual recreations of a ... I dunno, a reasonably nice park with a big viaduct through it? A very small clocktower that nevertheless has a cafe named after it? A pub that proclaims the very long-ago year it was built, but then also the much more recent year it was rebuilt entirely? So disappointed to find it was just a generic name made up by somebody American for the game which doesn't actually look all that good.

Ah, that is a shame. I watched the trailer and I did wonder but it's been a few years since I've been in those ends.

26 minutes ago, schmojo said:

And so (sorry for being clueless, not touched any of this stuff before), he'll just be able to... use an SD to get his save from my switch to his, and mine will be intact, but without his profile?

No I don't think so, he'll need an online sub (£18 for the year) so the saves will be stored in the cloud and become retrievable.  You can't access the save data otherwise.

If you have both switches to hand, it's possible to transfer a profile from one to another so long as it's linked to a Nintendo account on the 'source' console. It doesn't need to have an online sub associated. The profile on the 'new' switch shouldn't be linked to anything.

I transferred my daughter's profile on my switch to her new one when she got it, so that she could continue her Yoshi save.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

A lot of old and new games are ported to Nintendo Switch; this talk will show that Switch is a capable platform that can run even the most demanding today’s games with little loss in fidelity. We describe in detail CPU, Memory and Build size optimizations and tradeoffs we made during the development of Switch version of Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

GTC 2020: Witcher III on the Nintendo Switch: GPU & Memory Optimization

https://developer.nvidia.com/gtc/2020/video/s22697

I typed out a whole post but then accidentally deleted it, so I'll give the short version:

Reventure is on sale for £1.99.

It's a really cool (albeit very basic in terms of graphics) adventure game with a lot of positive surprises. It does a lot with a little. It's clearly a labour of love and funny to boot.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Edit: Probably should have put this in the eshop thread

6 hours ago, Squigs said:

If you have both switches to hand, it's possible to transfer a profile from one to another so long as it's linked to a Nintendo account on the 'source' console. It doesn't need to have an online sub associated. The profile on the 'new' switch shouldn't be linked to anything.

I transferred my daughter's profile on my switch to her new one when she got it, so that she could continue her Yoshi save.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

I stand happily corrected. 

Very annoying, seems my switch charging cable (that came with it) is no longer working.

Whats the cheapest solution to replace it? The end is just USB-C right? So is the best option just a plug thing (like an iphone charger, sorry Im not sure what the right term is!) with the correct rating which I can connect an existing spare cable to? Thanks.