Nintendo Switch

I can't believe it's been three years and one day since I walked through every large supermarket in my area, saw no sign of Nintendo outwith a handful of tired 3DS games and assumed they were finished.

11 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The Switch and Zelda BotW are 3 years old today. :)

I find that incredibly hard to believe. As in, fuck me, where has that time gone?

Would explain my grey hair and hairy ears though i guess.

Is sending new releases out a day or two before their street date still a thing now? If so what’s the current best place which might do this with animal crossing new horizons? I usually buy physical but am travelling on the 20th so any chance of getting it before I go would be awesome.

I’ll have to give BOTW a go again soon. Never a big fan of Zeldas and on initial play it didn’t win me over. A friend recently bought a switch and has never played Zelda before and thinks it’s the best game ever made, he loves it. 

Conversely I picked up Links Awakening a couple of months back. I played a bit of it on the GB as a nipper but was too young to get much out of it. I loved every moment of that game, the first Zelda I ever completed, just beautiful from start to finish and I can’t remember the last game that made me feel sad, but that’s what I felt at the end. Loved it. 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I’ll have to give BOTW a go again soon. Never a big fan of Zeldas and on initial play it didn’t win me over. A friend recently bought a switch and has never played Zelda before and thinks it’s the best game ever made, he loves it. 

Conversely I picked up Links Awakening a couple of months back. I played a bit of it on the GB as a nipper but was too young to get much out of it. I loved every moment of that game, the first Zelda I ever completed, just beautiful from start to finish and I can’t remember the last game that made me feel sad, but that’s what I felt at the end. Loved it. 

I don’t have either and I’m closer to getting LA atm as I just can’t dedicate the time to BOTW with work and kids. 

17 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

It might seem improbable but BotW is arguably better able to fit short chunks of gameplay. Both are excellent, though. 

Really?  That does surprise - but I’m open to a steer. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Really?  That does surprise - but I’m open to a steer. 

Yeah, it's because the overall goals are so large for the most part that progress is naturally broken down into so many smaller chunks. Each little temple is more or less a five or ten minute scenario. Each environmental puzzle in the open world is similar. Combat scenarios play out like little set pieces with a massive range of available approaches. Beyond that, the world itself encourages you to set little goals, get to the top of that mountain, reach the bottom of the valley, see what's on the other side of the forest. It's a game you can play for hours at a time but structurally, you will have 'achieved' dozens of little things in that time, many of which will seem like goals you've set yourself. That's a big part of what makes it so special to me. You rarely perceive how you're being directed so it feels like constant spontaneous discovery. 

Ehhh I'll stop there, I don't want to put you off by banging on about it! :D

It's also one of those games that you think you'll just nip on for 10 minutes, then suddenly it's hours later and you still haven't set out to do what you wanted to in the first place. It's incredible!

27 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Looks like my left joy con has finally given up the ghost. Anyone know what the repair price is at Nintendo? 

What's wrong with it? if it's the stick, they're well easy to do yourself.

8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

What's wrong with it? if it's the stick, they're well easy to do yourself.

Stick stuck pressing down. I've got contact cleaner but this is no longer doing the job. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Stick stuck pressing down. I've got contact cleaner but this is no longer doing the job. 

Stick should be less than a fiver, take your time and follow a YT tutorial, should tke around half an hour the first time, you'll need a tri wing screw driver, and be gentle with the screws, they're not the strongest and I've nearly rounded one off before, but it is definitely a job you can do yourself, if not, I believe there are a couple of chaps on here who would do it for you, or I have spare sticks and would be happy to do it for the cost of parts and postage, sod paying Nintendo prices :)

A friend fixed mine for me. The sticks were like a fiver from eBay.

Also, anyone got any experience of fitness boxing?

I want it for a cardio workout. I tried the demo and it seemed fun, didn’t always register punches?

Anyone got any long term experience of it?