rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well, I got the Batmans in the sale. Feel like I’m front loading 2020 so hopefully won’t need new games until May or something.

I went pretty crazy over the past week. That’s probably me good until Two-point Hospital in Feb or so. Maybe I’ll actually play it this time.

Yeah I‘m using all my strength to not even look at the current sale as I‘ve built a wee pile of shame recently and I hate doing that.

Said pile:

Celeste

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Civ 6

Shovel Knight: House of Cards 

Dark Souls Remastered 

No more. That’s enough. 

Definitely.  

23 hours ago, harbey said:

Another new Switch owner here. Got what I want from the big titles for now (Mario Odyssey and Zelda  BOTW) but no idea about what to look at from the online store. Is there anything which is essential? Sorry, asking a question which I'm sure has been answered plenty of times already. 

Those two plus Tetris 99 are all you need for about six months.

• Upvote 2

My post-Christmas dragging it out til Jan 2nd chilled mince pie slug vibe involves:

- AI: The Somnium Files (enjoying it so far, very easy and lazy with a jargon appendix for when you fall asleep due to lack of interaction and too many selection boxes). 

- Dragon Quest XI:S (still on the demo, didn't realise it was about ten hours, that's the more than I stick with most games so I might as well keep playing this until I either get bored or want to continue. I would have saved thousands of pounds on the eShop if every big game had a two-hour demo or something). 

- Ys VIII (another cheerful, head in the sand type game which I played for ten hours or so and got bored but I keep seeing it pop up as some minor classic so I'll give it another go).

- ESP Ra.De. Psi (I can't get past stage four yet but I'm having a beast of a time with it, not really got that lazy Chrimbo limbo vibe but sometimes you need shaking out of your stupor for twenty minutes).

- Darius Cozmic Collection (not sure exactly why but I bought the expensive Consumer Edition of this on sale on the Japanese eShop, I thought it was a compilation of both versions they released so I could flog my physical import copy and have everything in one place. It's just a compilation of the home console 8/16-bit ports from the mega expensive physical edition. Forty quid for the Master System version of Sagaia and a PC Engine Darius game and a few others. Actually, turns out they're brilliant and it's also got me back into the arcade collection featuring Darius Gaiden, the absolute champ).

I also really feel tempted to start BotW again. Hmm.

• Upvote 1

Thank you to whoever it was sharing their experience of using these about a month ago. I read with interest and got some for Christmas. I recommend then to anybody who plays a lot in handheld mode. It’s so much more comfortable.

148BB607-4F79-4969-AB49-582026C23077.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Yeah, probably was me. I'd say having played with them for about a month or so, I definitely prefer the Hori Split to the Satisfye but they're not quite as comfortable. I think that was my initial conclusion, as well. Satisfye is 10 for comfort, 8 for sticks and buttons. Hori is 8 for comfort, 10 for sticks and buttons. The D-pad is better than the Pro Controller, though, so it makes shmups and fighting games even more viable in handheld than on the telly. 

• Upvote 1

Children of Morta is amazing 

Flew completely under my radar. I don’t even like games like Diablo but this has blown  away. My hidden gem of the year. 

• Upvote 3

I had a great few hours this afternoon trying out the games I bought in the sale last week. I already knew I like Carcassonne, but I’m really pleased with Sayonara Wild Hearts and Gris. Both seem perfect post-Christmas games, to enjoy with a drink and a mince pie, for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Sayonara Wild Hearts has an incredible soundtrack and a nice graphic style but it seems to be just yet another into-the-screen auto runner. I’m really not seeing how people are proclaiming it’s a possible GOTY when it’s just a reskin of a trillion other near identical games. This one doesn’t even have a hook like rhythm matching or anything. Unless I’m missing something? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

Thank you to whoever it was sharing their experience of using these about a month ago. I read with interest and got some for Christmas. I recommend then to anybody who plays a lot in handheld mode. It’s so much more comfortable.

1 hour ago, Gloomy Andy said:

It was @Stanshall if I'm remembering correctly

I really want a set but think it'll be overkill considering I already have a Satisfye grip

I got some too for Christmas and can also second this.

I have bought seemingly every grip going for the Switch with varying levels of success (Skull & Co one probably the best) but this also gives you full size sticks and buttons which makes a huge difference. Love it. Only minus really is the lack of motion controls

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Children of Morta is amazing 

Flew completely under my radar. I don’t even like games like Diablo but this has blown  away. My hidden gem of the year. 

Yeah it's smashing. Made with so much love, I never skipped past a cutscene or optional lore.

If you see it for under a tenner it's a bit of a no brainer, IMO.

3 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

Interesting. I might try one of these if I can't solve why my left joy con' buttons all stopped working bar the analogue stick.

I also 3rd (or 4th) getting the split 3rd party joycons. Love that they give more support to the switch by having some of it behind it. Plus a silent d-pad. Only problem is I now need a new case recommendation 

On 26/12/2019 at 18:52, Cheyenne said:

Hard West is £1.79 in the sale. I've had my eye on it for years, always wondering if it would ever get a console port. Then it gets a Switch one! Been playing it a bit today and I'm rather immersed. Nice Xcom-alike with a tasty Weird West theme. At times it can look a bit cheap (some companions menu faces look like early 90's 3D models) but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Map interaction is a little like West of Loathing too. More cowboy games please!

Sold. Love me an XCOM style game and this did look rather intriguing. +1 for more cowboy games too.

So I got a bunch of credit for Christmas and went on a rampage...

- Baldur's Gate pack

- Rogue Legacy

- The Swindle

- Streets of Rogue

- Swords of Ditto

- Pan-Pan

- Blazing Beaks

I expect to play less than half of these.

• Upvote 2

Burned through hollow knight recently after buying the physical version and it inspired me to add more boxed games to my library.

bloodstained, dead cells: goty, wargroove and dragon quest XI S.

I’m going to be sorted for a while I feel.

Bloodstained is something. Not going lie they should have delayed its release.

8 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Bloodstained is something. Not going lie they should have delayed its release.

If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it three patches ago. Input lag has now been fixed, at least, loading times improved somewhat, and there's a fourth major patch on the way which they've suggested will upgrade visuals and hopefully bring it more in line with the other console versions.

17 hours ago, deKay said:

Sayonara Wild Hearts has an incredible soundtrack and a nice graphic style but it seems to be just yet another into-the-screen auto runner. I’m really not seeing how people are proclaiming it’s a possible GOTY when it’s just a reskin of a trillion other near identical games. This one doesn’t even have a hook like rhythm matching or anything. Unless I’m missing something? 

Same here. This year’s Emperor’s New Clothes for me.

18 hours ago, deKay said:

33 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Same here. This year’s Emperor’s New Clothes for me.

For me, it's all the elements combined to make something special - enjoyable gameplay, great graphics, a well told story and a fantastic soundtrack. Playing it put a massive smile on my face and reminded me why I love games. Mind you, I can't say I've played a lot of other into-the-screen runners.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, friedgold said:

So I got a bunch of credit for Christmas and went on a rampage...

- Baldur's Gate pack

- Rogue Legacy

- The Swindle

- Streets of Rogue

- Swords of Ditto

- Pan-Pan

- Blazing Beaks

I expect to play less than half of these.

Rogue Legacy, The Swindle and Swords of Ditto are all excellent rogue-lites albeit very different takes on the genre.

Pan-Pan was OK but I was a bit disappointed with it.

2 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

For me, it's all the elements combined to make something special - enjoyable gameplay, great graphics, a well told story and a fantastic soundtrack. Playing it put a massive smile on my face and reminded me why I love games. Mind you, I can't say I've played a lot of other into-the-screen runners.

It isn’t bad at all, don’t get me wrong. And the soundtrack is one of the best I’ve heard all year. But the gameplay has been done so many times before, often better.

It's among my games of the year, but I imagine if the music and visual presentation don't elevate it enough for you then it's easy to see just the basic auto-runner underneath.

A shame, certainly, but I can understand where you're coming from.

1 minute ago, acidbearboy said:

I can't even think of another auto runner I've played. What's hot?

Probably not on the Switch but the Rayman one. Also Harmo Knight and Runner2.

They’re 2D though. For 3D, probably something like Thumper.

My son was kind enough to buy me a switch for Christmas . ( I can now sell my Wii u) . I thought Oo I can download Tetris 99 for free . Wonder if it’s any good ....

My life has been consumed . 

• Upvote 5