rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Maybe I completed it before the time to reconnect? Was about two weeks from start to finish.

Sounds about right. It's quite a while. I just booted it up on the hope they've patched it out and it remembers permanently but nope.

After some vigorous Luigi's Mansion co-op (we need to get an actual pad for ergonomics I think...) my right joycon is making a sproingy noise when you press right (down when it's being used in co-op). I had a quick google and it seems like a lot of controllers make this noise when new, but I was wondering if it's something that goes away over time? Did anyone else get this and see it change over time?

It's well in to the "I can't be bothered sending it back to Nintendo" range of annoyances.

It's been a while since I played Celeste.... What am I supposed to be doing with the feather. I encountered a little earlier in the game but I've forgotten what to do. I was presuming it needs to be in the box but struggling to fathom out how to do. Holdng a button breathes in but I don't seem to have any other control beyond that. 

Invested in a 400Gb SD card today, which seemed pretty unfathomable way back when. Managed to transfer data via laptop with no issues which is great and now downloading uninstalled stuff in earnest to fill it up. Going all digital has been mad in some ways but so many of the top tier Switch games are totally replayable. I've amassed the most extensive and exhaustive game collection of any console I've ever owned, unfortunately none of it with any resale value whatsoever, but it's awesome to have all this stuff in one place on one little portable console.

I've also taken a punt on the Hori Pro Joycon things, that Daemon X Machina behemoth which was doing the rounds a while back. Meant to be way better sticks and buttons than using the Satisfye grip and I saw a decent price online, 40 quid or so. I'll report back with impressions tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I've also taken a punt on the Hori Pro Joycon things, that Daemon X Machina behemoth which was doing the rounds a while back. Meant to be way better sticks and buttons than using the Satisfye grip and I saw a decent price online, 40 quid or so. I'll report back with impressions tomorrow. 

Mind if I ask where you saw the mega-cons for £40ish?

6 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Mind if I ask where you saw the mega-cons for £40ish?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=hori+pro+pad&qid=1573933393&sprefix=Hori+pr&sr=8-1

Sorry the link is a bit long but Amazon, £43. When I looked a few weeks back, there were only third party sellers and they were almost double that. 

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=hori+pro+pad&qid=1573933393&sprefix=Hori+pr&sr=8-1

Sorry the link is a bit long but Amazon, £43. When I looked a few weeks back, there were only third party sellers and they were almost double that. 

Thanks. Same for me, nearly £100 when I last looked. 

And it's more comfortable than the satisfy grip?

@Gloomy Andy Not sure about that yet but I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon. I heard that the Satisfye is more comfortable simply to hold but the better sticks and bigger buttons make the Hori Split more comfortable to use. Will defo report back, looking forward to getting it in my hands. 

20 hours ago, Stanshall said:

@Gloomy Andy  Reporting back.

20191117-151805.jpg

Size comparison: Satisfye Grip, Hori Split Pad Pro, Joycons. 

Tl;dr: This is very good, and the D-pad alone justifies it for me. Satisfye is the most comfortable to hold. The Hori Split is the most comfortable to use. 

I'm pretty picky about grips and stuff and I've been through a few. The Satisfye Grip is still the most comfortable in your hand and the angled right grip means your thumb sits more comfortably on the right stick. It has fatter, rounder, deeper grips which mean that your little finger curls round more naturally. You could hold it comfortably in one hand if you wanted to.

With the Hori, your little finger tends to splay slightly and sit along the bottom of the Switch like if you were playing in bog standard 'naked' handheld, but that might just be muscle memory. That said, having played for twenty minutes or so, I've found that the shape of the Split Pro Pads means that your little finger can sit more along the back of the Switch quite comfortably. It's a slightly different grip position to get used to but it feels comfortable and your thumb can access the left stick and D-pad perfectly well without any adjustment. I find that even with the Satisfye, the sticks require a bit of frequent repositioning work with the thumb because of the smooth material and low stick height. This makes stuff like fighting games or shmups or precision platformers a bit of a pain for me, and they're probably my favourite genres. 

The Hori Split Pad has way more comfortable sticks, almost as good as the Pro Controller albeit with a little bit more of a deadzone, and crucially, it has the best D-pad available by far. This alone has instantly justified the purchase for me, because shmups and 2D fighters instantly feel better than any other control option I've got, aside from my 360 stick and Mayflash converter which are somewhat less handy on the train. I played some Rolling Gunner and Psyvariar Delta and they are both so snappy and precise with the D-pad. I don't know how I ever managed even with the Pro Controller analogue stick. It also has much more comfortable face buttons, bumpers and especially triggers. 

Important to know that there's no rumble at all or gyro in the Hori, nor can you do the IR/Amiibo stuff with them, though none of that matters to me.

Grip Comfort: Satisfye - 10, Hori - 8

Stick Comfort: Satisfye - 6, Hori - 9.

D-pad Comfort: Satisfye - 3, Hori - 10.

Buttons Comfort: Satisfye - 6, Hori - 9.

There's still potential for further improvements, then. The fatter Satisfye grips are perfect and I'd love a fatty Split Pad revision but the Hori will be my handheld mode of choice regardless from now on. The D-pad, left stick and triggers open up my handheld library enormously. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Stanshall said:

20191117-151805.jpg

Size comparison: Satisfye Grip, Hori Split Pad Pro, Joycons. 

Tl;dr: This is very good, and the D-pad alone justifies it for me. Satisfye is the most comfortable to hold. The Hori Split is the most comfortable to use. 

I'm pretty picky about grips and stuff and I've been through a few. The Satisfye Grip is still the most comfortable in your hand and the angled right grip means your thumb sits more comfortably on the right stick. It has fatter, rounder, deeper grips which mean that your little finger curls round more naturally. You could hold it comfortably in one hand if you wanted to.

With the Hori, your little finger tends to splay slightly and sit along the bottom of the Switch like if you were playing in bog standard 'naked' handheld, but that might just be muscle memory. That said, having played for twenty minutes or so, I've found that the shape of the Split Pro Pads means that your little finger can sit more along the back of the Switch quite comfortably. It's a slightly different grip position to get used to but it feels comfortable and your thumb can access the left stick and D-pad perfectly well without any adjustment. I find that even with the Satisfye, the sticks require a bit of frequent repositioning work with the thumb because of the smooth material and low stick height. This makes stuff like fighting games or shmups or precision platformers a bit of a pain for me, and they're probably my favourite genres. 

The Hori Split Pad has way more comfortable sticks, almost as good as the Pro Controller albeit with a little bit more of a deadzone, and crucially, it has the best D-pad available by far. This alone has instantly justified the purchase for me, because shmups and 2D fighters instantly feel better than any other control option I've got, aside from my 360 stick and Mayflash converter which are somewhat less handy on the train. I played some Rolling Gunner and Psyvariar Delta and they are both so snappy and precise with the D-pad. I don't know how I ever managed even with the Pro Controller analogue stick. It also has much more comfortable face buttons, bumpers and especially triggers. 

Important to know that there's no rumble at all or gyro in the Hori, nor can you do the IR/Amiibo stuff with them, though none of that matters to me.

Grip Comfort: Satisfye - 10, Hori - 8

Stick Comfort: Satisfye - 6, Hori - 9.

D-pad Comfort: Satisfye - 3, Hori - 10.

Buttons Comfort: Satisfye - 6, Hori - 9.

There's still potential for further improvements, then. The fatter Satisfye grips are perfect and I'd love a fatty Split Pad revision but the Hori will be my handheld mode of choice regardless from now on. The D-pad, left stick and triggers open up my handheld library enormously. 

Do the buttons click?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, davidcotton said:

1 tb cards now available you know.  512gb cards are sooo yesterday.

Yeah alright Daddy Warbucks.

@Stanshall

Thanks for the write up, very comprehensive!!

I might pick a pair up after Xmas (or if there's a BF offer). 

I love the Satisfye but having to take it out to dock is a pain (that's where it goes each night to charge, rarely play on the TV). Seems like the the split pro mega con will be a more worthwhile investment than one of those skull & co case/grip combo. 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone upgraded their microsd card and ran into problems like it just not working at all?! I ran through the official Nintendo instructions as well as some that said to “copy and paste” rather than drag and drop to get around an issue with the Switch fw but nope. Every time I get a message saying the microsd card is from another system. 

I’m just redownloading the whole shebang.

edit: looks like I’ve picked up a schnidey microsd card. Bah. 

Got an SN30 Pro Plus on a whim and it is a heckin chonker of a cross between a DS4 and a SNES pad. Comfy though. I appreciate the ability to just use AA batteries.

I just got the train back from Leeds after a work event and ended up playing Mario Kart and Smash Bros. on my Switch with the random person sat next to me after we got talking. First time this has happened but I love that this was an option

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

Rekt - the rocket league x tony hawk game / is £2.49 right now. I got it. Haven’t played it yet so that’s my review.

I just bought this based on your comprehensive write up(I actually have)..

• Empathy 1

The Witcher 3 on this is an absolute revelation. Once you get past the graphical downgrade it plays brilliantly and being mobile means that I can spend my time ranting about in the works and just soaking up the atmosphere. I’ve also started reading the quest log after completing the missions. Often a lot of them don’t turn out to have the happy ending you think they did... the mice in the tower being a great example of you, like me, still believes in the power of love...

• Upvote 3

I still get blown away that I am playing The Witcher 3 on a Switch. I only play in handheld and it is great. In all honesty though, I don't care about graphical downgrades as long as I can still play the game. I grew up with Pong, Space Invaders, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Colin The Cleaner, Dizzy and the likes. I graphical downgraded version the The Witcher 3 is still amazing to look at. 

• Upvote 3