rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

The article says it’s 25% faster and is the same chip that’s in the revised Switch we already have. We already know that the new Switch has a couple of new higher-speed performance modes that aren’t used; presumably the new Shield uses them and puts up with the higher power drain and heat output.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The article says it’s 25% faster and is the same chip that’s in the revised Switch we already have. We already know that the new Switch has a couple of new higher-speed performance modes that aren’t used; presumably the new Shield uses them and puts up with the higher power drain and heat output.

Is the chip in the new switch just a x1+. I thought the new switch was just a smaller die. If we do get a switch pro and it’s only 25% better no sure that is enough to keep up with the ps5 and Xbox two. 

Was playing Mario Maker with the SNES controller last night. Good God it's lovely.

I mean; it's a complete fucking rip off and I feel like I've been properly done; but good God it's lovely. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

Is the chip in the new switch just a x1+. I thought the new switch was just a smaller die. If we do get a switch pro and it’s only 25% better no sure that is enough to keep up with the ps5 and Xbox two. 

I think you’re right, the X1+ might be something other than the die shrunk X1.

Honestly I have no idea if Nintendo are bothered about a Switch Pro at this stage, I think there’s all kinds of mileage in the current hardware.

Yeah, I can't see the Pro being a thing. The Switch is in its 3rd year, I could see them coasting on its success for the next couple of years before announcing the Switch 2. 

• Upvote 1

I think we get a switch pro next year with smaller bezels a 1080p screen and 128gb storage. This will cost £349 I think and undercut the ps5 and Xbox two. Maybe launch it with breath of the wild 2. 

• Empathy 1

And to be fair if they want to keep it cheaper than the ps5 I think they could charge £450  For it and still be cheaper. I think the ps5 is going to be mega expensive. But switch pro  I would say £349

• Empathy 1

On 16/10/2019 at 08:33, Omizzay said:

So this thing finally arrived and I've been playing the Switch exclusively in handheld the last 5 days or so just to fully test it out.  And the bottom line is that it's truly awesome and well worth the purchase IMO.

The Hori Split Pad is so comfortable to play long sessions on and I was really surprised that it was so light.  The thumbsticks are really well designed - a lot bigger and therefore more precise - ideal as Overwatch just got released.  I also tried out the dpad with the only fighter I have (DBFZ) and it feels perfect.  There are additional buttons on the back that can be programmed but I haven't made much use of them till now.  The build is quite solid, but that's to be expected as it's actually licensed by Nintendo.

The initial shock at the size of the controllers is soon forgotten about (especially if you have big hands) and I don't think I'll be able go back to the Nintendo Joycons anymore.

Highly recommended.

Do the buttons click?

edit- just seen the prices! never mind

edit 2- though I am interested, how much did you pay for it and where from?

£350 is way too expensive for what is essentially a fairly humble upgrade - basically DS-DSi or 3DS-new 3DS. I think it could happen but will just replace the current model to keep the continuity with the Lite. 

They got patents on being able to build new processing power etc. in to the dock long before anyone knew what Switch was, so I could see them doing a new dock accessory with an external GPU that literally does nothing but bump the existing games up to 4K.

7 minutes ago, Shoes said:

no.

fair enough. I would probably pay up to that price for a switch pro but then if we do get a switch pro will it get any exclusive 3rd party games. 

12 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

would you not pay £350 for a 1080p screen almost no bezels and 128gb storage and of course it been 25% more powerful 

You just know it'll mean even tinier text in games.

• Empathy 1

Yep it will but hopefully Devs work with that. i have no interest in next gen consoles as they are now just PC's, Nintendo have a great opportunity to   market the Switch or Switch pro as a fun machine that plays games not something just going for more and more power.

14 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

would you not pay £350 for a 1080p screen almost no bezels and 128gb storage and of course it been 25% more powerful 

This sounds all well and good, and quite desirable, and then you fire up BOTW, Odyssey or Links Awakening and none of it matters. IMO of course.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Coolcongo said:

fair enough. I would probably pay up to that price for a switch pro but then if we do get a switch pro will it get any exclusive 3rd party games. 

And that's why they won't do it. They won't split their playerbase. They could introduce a Pro which plays current Switch games better, like the PS4 Pro and Xbox X, but that doesn't mean it'll get more third party releases. 

A new Switch 2 in a couple of years seems far more likely. Backwards compatible with the current Switch and slightly stronger than the PS4, I could see it managing to straddle the difference between this gen and the next gen consoles well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

And that's why they won't do it. They won't split their playerbase. They could introduce a Pro which plays current Switch games better, like the PS4 Pro and Xbox X, but that doesn't mean it'll get more third party releases. 

A new Switch 2 in a couple of years seems far more likely. Backwards compatible with the current Switch and slightly stronger than the PS4, I could see it managing to straddle the difference between this gen and the next gen consoles well. 

That does make sense and i forget how much it will spilt the player base and the  One X and ps4 pro all they had was 4k and bit nicer looking, they are pointless pretty much because they offer nothing the base consoles offer. i still think 4K is not that big of a deal much rather have a nice HDR display than a 4k display 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Pavey said:

This sounds all well and good, and quite desirable, and then you fire up BOTW, Odyssey or Links Awakening and none of it matters. IMO of course.

This. PS5 and Xbox Two will no doubt be very desirable but Breath of The Wild 2 more so, IMO. It’s games that shift consoles not specs.

• Upvote 3

Nintendo Switch has sold over 15 million in the US alone.

The Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems have combined to sell over 15 million units in North America since the launch of the flagship Nintendo Switch system in March 2017, according to internal data from Nintendo. Through September, Nintendo Switch sales in North America were up more than 20% year to date. In the U.S. alone, Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling video game console for 10 months in a row, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191017005908/en/

4 hours ago, Coolcongo said:

no sure that is enough to keep up with the ps5 and Xbox two. 

Why do Nintendo need to keep up with anyone? 

They have always operated in their own space, well outside of the power battles of other consoles. Switch is significantly underpowered compared to its current competitors yet it is still the console I play the most so must be doing something right. And it seems to be selling pretty well despite not keeping up...

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Mike S said:

Why do Nintendo need to keep up with anyone? 

They have always operated in their own space, well outside of the power battles of other consoles. Switch is significantly underpowered compared to its current competitors yet it is still the console I play the most so must be doing something right. And it seems to be selling pretty well despite not keeping up...

Yeah, it's a console many of us on here own as well as an Xbox or a PS4. The best decision Nintendo made was to stop trying to keep up with the Joneses.

• Upvote 2

I still struggle to believe that this little gem houses so many great games.

How many  handhelds can you flick between Mario, Zelda, and then a bit of  Final Fantasy 7 or Resident Evil 4? (without hacking)

Timeless classics in the palm of your hands. Truly a great time to be alive.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I know I keep going on about this but the simple function of the Switch is so constantly delightful. Putting on my headphones, turning on the GBA and getting through a world of a Mario or a Metroid or a Castlevania was my respite from a difficult day so many times in the past and being able to curl up on the couch like that with Mario Odyssey feels really nice. That I can plug the same thing in to the TV and have a cheery game of Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo or Goose Game when things are good is like some magical bonus.

It’s unfathomable that someone made a console like this.

For whatever reason my son often ends up playing Splatoon on the sofa, just because he can.  I thought it would only leave the dock when we went on holiday tbh, but I too have spent some significant time lounging and playing on that little screen.  It was a very worthwhile investment for the family.

• Upvote 1