rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Starting playing Super Metroid for basically the first time ever. Already stuck.

Am at a bit where the only way I can see to progress is a passageway that has two doors that close. I can run through before the first one closes but can’t reach the second in time. I then have to lay a bomb to break the floor to return to try again.

I have 2 types of missiles, high jump, ball, charge shot. What obvious thing am I missing?

I'm stuck in Super Metroid! @Cyhwuhx Is it possible to fuck up your progress by sequence breaking? I used a few timed bombs to bounce my way up through a little gap in a room in Norfair which I'm not sure I was supposed to do, and proceeded to get the speed booster. Eventually I made my way to an elevator that leads from Maridia to Crateria, but at the top of the elevator my path is now blocked by a yellow door (don't have a weapon for opening this) and when I make my way back down to the room I came from in Maridia, the door I originally came through is still yellow. The only other path is blocked by a power-bombable floor, and I don't have power bombs. :unsure:

33 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Starting playing Super Metroid for basically the first time ever. Already stuck.

Am at a bit where the only way I can see to progress is a passageway that has two doors that close. I can run through before the first one closes but can’t reach the second in time. I then have to lay a bomb to break the floor to return to try again.

I have 2 types of missiles, high jump, ball, charge shot. What obvious thing am I missing?

You can't get through this until you have a certain item that lets you run faster (I think). 

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

You can't get through this until you have a certain item that lets you run faster (I think). 

I did wonder that. If this is the case there must be some other direction I can go. Damned if I can find it though.

55 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I did wonder that. If this is the case there must be some other direction I can go. Damned if I can find it though.

That's Metroid. Have you tried drawing an extensive map with pen and paper?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This been posted yet?

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=1280&cropY1=0&

Nintendo has apparently filed a patent in Japan for a new type of hinged Joy-Con. 

It's not really hinged, it's just... bent. The rail hinges but the joycon itself is rigid.

img-1.thumb.jpg.c5b85ab503103798a0e8b90dabb316cc.jpg

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

We should find out what that weird plastic new peripheral thing is all about today. I'm guessing sex toy. 

Fill my cavity Switch edition. 

16 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

We should find out what that weird plastic new peripheral thing is all about today. I'm guessing sex toy. 

I'm really excited to see what it is. I reckon it's a horror game where you've got to grip Kirby by the lips to stop him sucking you in.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Same price at CD Keys if you’re after the digital version. 

That is the digital version. There’s a physical box with a code in it but the shopto one is just a code.

Given Nintendo’s track record for using Donkey Konga bongos to illustrate parents for the Wii technology and the like, I think those rails could be for just about anything.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Nintendo has apparently filed a patent in Japan for a new type of thing you'll have to repair 6 months later.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I'm stuck in Super Metroid! @Cyhwuhx Is it possible to fuck up your progress by sequence breaking? I used a few timed bombs to bounce my way up through a little gap in a room in Norfair which I'm not sure I was supposed to do, and proceeded to get the speed booster. Eventually I made my way to an elevator that leads from Maridia to Crateria, but at the top of the elevator my path is now blocked by a yellow door (don't have a weapon for opening this) and when I make my way back down to the room I came from in Maridia, the door I originally came through is still yellow. The only other path is blocked by a power-bombable floor, and I don't have power bombs. :unsure:

It is possible yes, I almost blew mine this weekend by trying to get the Grapple before Power Bombs (well, it doesn't really lock you out, but will require a lot of bomb jumping to get out again).

But the Speed Booster is in Norfair, so how did you enter Maridia? Did you also pick up the Wave Beam? Because otherwise you might be in top Brinstar Red instead where the Power Bomb is located.

EDIT: also, don't forget you can rewind!

10 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Go up the elevator from Norfair to Brinstar again and looks very closely at the wall on the right.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

That is the digital version. There’s a physical box with a code in it but the shopto one is just a code.

This I did not know. Seems like a stupid waste of plastic and carbon emissions.

• Upvote 1

Here's a thing, Amazon offer a 2 year warranty on consoles for £12.75 which includes accidental damage.  Think I'd rather go for that than Nintendo direct tbh.

Anyone ever had it/needed to use it?