rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

20 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Splatoon is fricking amazing. Shame you’ll both have missed out on the Splatfests, so make sure you play the final one next weekend. 

He went for Mario & Rabbids.  He hasn’t stopped playing it apart from sleeping.  I’m sure he’ll get a Splatoon another time.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, friedgold said:

So I've  got £50 Amazon credit burning a hole in my pocket and can't decide - Mario Maker or a Satisfye grip case?

Is this a trick question?

Why would you even be considering a bit of plastic?

Because it's free money and I'm terribly susceptible to bullshit internet opinion :huh:

MM bought and downloaded anyway, between this and DQ Builders 2 it's been a very pleasant birthday.

stupid stick drift.

anyone tried this?

B07MN9K74Q

EDIT - no idea why it doesn't display but link works. (Maybe deKay has posted so much in this thread it has killed Amazon link display) 

I've seen people suggest opening up the Joycon and putting a little piece of static foam like you get in graphics cards boxes inside it... Is that still the best accepted fix or does using contact cleaner achieve the same result? I've had stick drift pretty much since I got it.

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've seen people suggest opening up the Joycon and putting a little piece of static foam like you get in graphics cards boxes inside it... Is that still the best accepted fix or does using contact cleaner achieve the same result? I've had stick drift pretty much since I got it.

Yeah as deKay indicates this isn't the joycon dodgy connection issue. For that one you are right, using the joycons disconnected they act up/disconnect and needs a fix. I sent mine back to Nintendo for a fix even though Ididn't really experience it that badly at all.

No this is stick drift, which is the Switch registering movement of left (or right) stick when it isn't being pushed. I get this on left stick and on calibrate screen it is REALLY obviously wrong. occurs whether joycon is attached or not.

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with the lack of robustness here as the stick drift issue is pretty prevalent from what I have read and the joycons are not cheap to replace.

Is it because they are so much smaller than PS4/Xbox sticks and so dirt can interrupt them much easier?

EDIT - A quick google indicates that PS4 and xbox controllers can also suffer with plenty of writeups on it, odd as I have never had it on others.

EDITEDIT - I hope they have a better solution for the Switch lite as you can't simply replace the joycons on that! Nasty repair bill if contact cleaner doesn't work there.

I found I had this issue even if attached to the Switch in handheld mode. The left stick keeps drifting upward randomly. So is this not fixed with the static foam fix?

Just now, Benny said:

I found I had this issue even if attached to the Switch in handheld mode. The left stick keeps drifting upward randomly. So is this not fixed with the stack foam fix?

nope that only fixes connectivity - which is same as when button presses don't register.

Stick drift when connected or disconnected where button presses are ok indicates the stick mechanism itself is struggling and needs a clean out - contact cleaner is best apparently because its the only thing that can penetrate and clean it out.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Yeah as deKay indicates this isn't the joycon dodgy connection issue. For that one you are right, using the joycons disconnected they act up/disconnect and needs a fix. I sent mine back to Nintendo for a fix even though Ididn't really experience it that badly at all.

No this is stick drift, which is the Switch registering movement of left (or right) stick when it isn't being pushed. I get this on left stick and on calibrate screen it is REALLY obviously wrong. occurs whether joycon is attached or not.

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with the lack of robustness here as the stick drift issue is pretty prevalent from what I have read and the joycons are not cheap to replace.

Is it because they are so much smaller than PS4/Xbox sticks and so dirt can interrupt them much easier?

EDIT - A quick google indicates that PS4 and xbox controllers can also suffer with plenty of writeups on it, odd as I have never had it on others.

EDITEDIT - I hope they have a better solution for the Switch lite as you can't simply replace the joycons on that! Nasty repair bill if contact cleaner doesn't work there.

Every ps4 pad I’ve had has drifted, six or seven I’m on now - taking apart and cleaning generally fixes them for a bit - not tried contact cleaner so will give that a go. To be fair my PS4 pads get hammered, probably less overall hours than switch pads as all the family use those...

Dont think I’ve had an Xbox pad with drift but not had one long enough or used enough with upgrades on consoles / elite pad and not having an Xbox for over a year now - 360 pads suffered it, my last one had a dead zone about the same as a std ps3 pad at times!

Going on holiday for a month, my switch is still broken but my friend is going to lend me his, need to buy a good big game to play while I'm away any suggestions?

Thinking octopath traveller but heard it ain't amazing. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That’s the one I got. I got it from Wickes for a similar price. Might be worth checking there if you’ve got a local one, if it’s less hassle that getting it delivered. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

Going on holiday for a month, my switch is still broken but my friend is going to lend me his, need to buy a good big game to play while I'm away any suggestions?

Civ VI

Slay the Spire!

I’m currently playing through Octopath. It’s not amazing. If I hadn’t bought it digitally I’d have stopped by now :(

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Clipper said:

stupid stick drift.

anyone tried this?

B07MN9K74Q

EDIT - no idea why it doesn't display but link works. (Maybe deKay has posted so much in this thread it has killed Amazon link display) 

To echo comments by others, contact cleaner will fix this. Crap continually builds up so I find I need to give it a spray every now and again - it’s definitely Nintendo’s worst analogue stick since the N64, which disintegrated through normal use. 

For reference, I bought the WD40-brand contact cleaner - don’t use normal WD40, make sure it’s contact cleaner. 

Hollow Knight!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Hollow knight great shouts but I've already play it.

I enjoyed Dragon quest builder but got a little bored and didn't finish it.

I'd like an rpg like xenoblade 

I'm just borrowing my mates switch, so kinda need hard copy games