rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

There was also the Smash Bros Ultimate Switch Console too. They generally seem to do them for their biggest franchises, wouldn't be surprised if something is announced for Pokemon Sword & Shield later this year..

1 minute ago, Cheyenne said:

There was also the Smash Bros Ultimate Switch Console too. They generally seem to do them for their biggest franchises, wouldn't be surprised if something is announced for Pokemon Sword & Shield later this year..

They've already announced a special edition Switch Lite for Pokémon Sword & Shield.

Oh bloody hell I already forgot about that! But I wonder if there would also be something for the regular model, given this whole nonsense NEG has put forward of them not releasing new styles and edition since early 2018.

On 06/07/2019 at 10:17, Blunted said:

I think it was @bradigor who mentioned the cheap pro-alike pads on AliExpress, got one in the post this morning (because I couldn't justify £60 for a pad right now considering how much I've spent on games in the last month or two) and it's surprisingly good! Reassuringly weighty.

Cheers for the heads up.

Just jumped on this bandwagon. Hoping it arrives in the 2-3 weeks you've experienced.

Small PSA: When I tried to order one, Aliexpress had sneakily tried to bump my order up to 4 units.. Had to switch  to 'full page' payment, and reduce the number in my basket.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CBT said:

Just jumped on this bandwagon. Hoping it arrives in the 2-3 weeks you've experienced.

Small PSA: When I tried to order one, Aliexpress had sneakily tried to bump my order up to 4 units.. Had to switch  to 'full page' payment, and reduce the number in my basket.

Wish I'd read this as I just got a pro controller a few days back.

Its a lovely piece of kit though...although the Nintendo tax is a bit annoying... :) 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The 3DS was barely older than the Switch is now when the 2DS came out.

Yeah the first chunky 2DS which was aimed squarely at children, the New 2DS which became the standard model instead of the 3D one only came out last year.

The New 3DS which came out a couple of years after the first 2DS even improved the 3D using eye tracking, so they'd hardly abandoned it.

But let's be honest anyway, the 3D added nothing mechanically game play wise, all the games play exactly the same in 2D or 3D. 

They're revising the Switch, sounds like a prelude to ditching the Switch and just running with the Switch Lite.

Robert Redford nodding.gif

They're highly praised and the Switch is loved for its primary on/off TV function. No way are they moving on from that just because they're making a cheaper handheld-only version because the 3DS price-point has finally dried up for them. 

I mystified where the data that around 70% of people use the console both docked and handheld has translated into thinking that means they are going to phase out the console's primary selling point.

• Upvote 6

But I'm excited that they've figured out how to combine them. I can't play handheld for long, for various reasons, but now they'll hopefully go gangbusters bringing those previously handheld- only experiences to traditional console players.

I seem to remember before the Eurogamer switch scoop there was a rumour that the next Nintendo consoles would be a handheld console and a home console that both played the same games, so this is very tenuously a step towards that.

The next step of course would be a Switch Pro which isn't portable.

6 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

Oh bloody hell I already forgot about that! But I wonder if there would also be something for the regular model, given this whole nonsense NEG has put forward of them not releasing new styles and edition since early 2018.

No new Joycons was the Jan 2018 marker. Bundle Joycons you can't buy alone doesn't count. Late 2019 for the Switch bundles itself, bar Dragon Quest Builders 2 bundle that's only in Japan.

• Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, NEG said:

No new Joycons was the Jan 2018 marker. Bundle Joycons you can't buy alone doesn't count. Late 2019 for the Switch bundles itself, bar Dragon Quest Builders 2 bundle that's only in Japan.

So Nintendo don't have anything excluding all these arbitrary conditions you've added. Gotcha. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

I seem to remember before the Eurogamer switch scoop there was a rumour that the next Nintendo consoles would be a handheld console and a home console that both played the same games, so this is very tenuously a step towards that.

The next step of course would be a Switch Pro which isn't portable.

What? The original Switch is literally this. It's a handheld and a home console and it plays the same games.

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Nequests said:

You could just admit you were wrong, man. 

I could have been more clear, certainly.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

A Switch Pro without the portability wouldn’t be much of a Switch Pro at all.

If they allowed cross progression between such a Pro and a Lite, that would be something but also around £500 for both.

I'd guess the market that would like a Pro generally had no interest in a lite but owns a switch already. I know I'd go for a heftier home-only machine and keep my standard switch for the infrequent times I travel.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hylian said:

What? The original Switch is literally this. It's a handheld and a home console and it plays the same games.

No you misunderstand, separate entities. A handheld and a console, not the handheld AND console we got, which none of us could have predicted would work as well as it does.

I adore my switch, but I couldnt argue that it isn't compromised in any way by having to be both, and Nintendo have obviously listened to demand for a cheaper smaller model.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

People are apparently forgetting Nintendo always have a home console and a handheld - two healthy revenue streams.

Yeah I'd agree, its not a replacement its for a different market that was waiting for the next portable rather than a hybrid that they mentally cant connect with. This thing is pretty heavy aswell, not sure how much lighter the new one is. Visually it at least looks more portable even if it isnt necessarily :3 . Plus the whole no dpad thing is probably offputting to many who play more portable maybe more 2d type games(slightly more than everyone else who also wants the d-pad).

14 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

2 1/2 years later & I’ve finally caved.  Everything in that post was wrong, I ended up with a PS4, and Ninty left the servers on!!

Anyway, it’s for my son who had to have an operation today.  Now, back to BOTW on my Wii U.

Hope the op went well, and he get's better soon!

• Upvote 2

Thank Dude, all went well and he’s back home recovering.  It was only a small op but even that was enough to take us from “It’s £300” to “he deserves it, he’s been so good & brave”:hug:

Anyway, back on topic, it’s a clever bit of kit, although the slight flexing of the joycons when attached concerns me slightly (has anyone snapped them off?) and MK8D looks as lush as always.  It also came with a £30 eshop voucher, recommendations anyone?  Mario/Rabbids is cheap, although I know he wants Splatoon so I’m going to have to setup a Switch Online account for that, is it worth it?

• Upvote 8

Does anyone know if you can use the Twitch Prime Nintendo Online offer more than once on the same Nintendo Account?

I did it using my Twitch Prime on my Nintendo account, but found out my Mum has Amazon Prime, so she could get Twitch and do Twitch Prime, but could I then link my Nintendo Account to her Twitch Prime and stack another 12 months?

@bradigor it's in the faq.

Can I link different Twitch Prime accounts to my Nintendo Account and claim each offer multiple times?

No. You can only claim each offer once on a single Nintendo Account.