rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

13 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Still being able to hook it up to a tv. A lower price.

Ah right, standard Switch with revised internals allowing a price drop. 

It's weird that the non-dock bundle isn't available outside of Japan.

1 minute ago, Keyboard Koala said:

But if it has to be compared to their home console, it really isn't a 2DS successor anymore I think.

I mean, they're merging the two previously distinct things, aren't they? Won't please everyone, but I'm on board. I had the original DS, but not much on it. I'm well up for them unifying development going forward, which they appear to be doing (the likes of Phoenix Wright etc. appearing on the Switch is a good sign).

I wasn't super bought in to the Nintendo system though, so YMMV.

17 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

What happened to RRP?

Nintendo stopped doing that about 15 years ago.

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Ah right, standard Switch with revised internals allowing a price drop. 

It's weird that the non-dock bundle isn't available outside of Japan.

I read a while back that something like 70% of Japanese Switch owners never used the dock. So makes sense to sell them one without it. As the chart I posted a few pages back shows, the percentages in the rest of the world show a somewhat different picture.

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I don't see the point as it's still not really portable.

It can be carried from the couch to the toilet. That's all the portable I need!

(TMI)

• Upvote 1

The point is quite obviously the most obvious fucking thing in the world.

IT'S CHEAPER THAN THE FULL FAT SWITCH.

Jesus.

• Upvote 8

39 minutes ago, Adrock said:

The point is quite obviously the most obvious fucking thing in the world.

IT'S CHEAPER THAN THE FULL FAT SWITCH.

Yet not cheap enough imo. But that's because the Switch is a huge success; Nintendo are a company; people will buy it regardless. See also: the ridiculous price of a seperate dock.

Ideally it would've had connectability and a £150 SRP.

It's basically lost its key "switch" feature.

• Upvote 1

They're not gonna halve the price of the console with its first iteration. It'll sell well at £200 and there's still lots of room to reduce it further in the next couple of years. 

This thing is going to shift like shit off a shovel.

Remember everyone going 'hahahaha the fuckin TWO DS hahahaha' which basically walked back the fundamental concept of the 3DS and looked ridiculous and then every kid on Earth had one within like a month?

Will be the same except the games are a shit load better. 

• Upvote 6

I don’t use the current switch as a handheld, like literally never. 

But whilst this new Lite version isn’t for me. I heard some mad claims that on lower spec games the battery can last between 6 and 7 hours. Which is good I guess!

also... it’s just Nintendo that say no TV functionality.  3rd party people may find a way ;)

3 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

It's launching on the 20th of September? Leave it to Nintendo to launch a new Switch on the same day as the Link's Awakening remake and not have a special edition or bundle pack.

Yeah typical bloody Nintendo! They never do special edition consoles or bundles. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Do people forget that Pokemon Sword and Shield is coming? This is going to sell like fuck! 

Not if how much Game Freak have fucked the game is anything to go by.

• Downvote 1

I must say the size comparison NEG posted is quite eye-opening. I'm surprised they didn't go for a smaller size to make it definitively portable. I get Stu's point though. I reckon a Vita sized screen would be adequate UI display wise. 

I'll wait for a red one. Or spice orange!

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

This isn’t meant to be an upgrade. This is to replace the 3DS. This is for parents to buy for their little kids who a) don’t get big tv access and b) don’t/can’t yet look after things. Like the 2DS. 

It’ll do gang busters. 

You say that but this is way more expensive than the 2DS, for example, and so are the games. This is also looks way more flimsy and breakable if dropped than the DS family of consoles.

I mean I presume it has the same chipset as the other Switch, so not offering a dock accessory seems odd and cuts off another revenue stream.

Also the lack of a kickstand is another odd decision - especially as they show how 1/2 Switch works with additional joycons.

Obviously I fucking want one :facepalm:

53 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah typical bloody Nintendo! They never do special edition consoles or bundles. :rolleyes:

Not what I said really, was it? I'm not surprised they announced one for Pokémon but surprised they didn't announce a Zelda one off the bat. We'll see, I suppose.