Nintendo Switch

deKay

8 hours ago, NEG said:

It had exclusive levels that are regarded as some of the best in the series. Originally on the N64.

I've not played it, but I was under the impression it's entirely unique rather than just Doom with extra levels. All the information I've seen describes it as a full sequel to Doom II.

EDIT: I've just realised that that's probably what you meant anyway.:facepalm:

@Sarlaccfood Basically there's no reason not to play the original Doom again. Doom 64 is a different game entirely.

7 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I've not played it, but I was under the impression it's entirely unique rather than just Doom with extra levels. All the information I've seen describes it as a full sequel to Doom II.

This is accurate. Doom 64 is mental; so many people just assume it's some janky port. It's as if there was a Scorsese-directed masterpiece version of Godfather III that was only ever released on VHS but most people never saw it cause it had a similar cover to the shit version we're all familiar with.

12 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Is Doom 64 a new game or a remaster of OG Doom with better sprites etc?

It was complete new game for N64. It also had really disturbing crying baby sounds in the hell levels. Was great.

Aye, why not at the price. Never really played the first Doom 'properly' for whatever reason so started there and it's absolutely brilliant. The maps are fantastic (and some of them surprisingly big and complex). It's pretty flipping savage too.

Playing Cuphead last night I realised how awful the dpad is on the Switch Pro controller. Completely unplayable. Up/down being registered as diagonals etc. Apparently there's a simple fix for this in which you put a bit of sellotape over the initial bit of each contact. This reduces the sensitivity and therefore the frequency of incorrect inputs. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+D-Pad+Sensitivity/124493

I play most of my games with the pro pad and if they’re suited to the dpad with digital controls that’s what I use. It’s perfect for me. Most recently played Bloodstained entirely with it!

1 hour ago, Hylian said:

Playing Cuphead last night I realised how awful the dpad is on the Switch Pro controller. Completely unplayable. Up/down being registered as diagonals etc. Apparently there's a simple fix for this in which you put a bit of sellotape over the initial bit of each contact. This reduces the sensitivity and therefore the frequency of incorrect inputs. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+D-Pad+Sensitivity/124493

I've done it. Worked perfectly.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I play most of my games with the pro pad and if they’re suited to the dpad with digital controls that’s what I use. It’s perfect for me. Most recently played Bloodstained entirely with it!

I've noticed it on Picross; handheld on joycons, I use the four buttons to put down lines of squares/crosses accurately. On the Pro dpad, every so often it'll throw a diagonal and **** up my game.

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

I've done it. Worked perfectly.

Did you just do this fix, or did you also do the additional thing of putting some tape in the centre? Apparently that raises the pivot point up, which also helps.

58 minutes ago, deKay said:

Surprised at this. Didn't realise Fire Emblem had the pull it does. Maybe the mobile game helped?

SnapShot_190729_092048.png.75f8b69c0cdbc32a93a8668b5d335d5b.png

It's also sold out at shopto.net, thegamecollection.net, base.com. Simplygames still has it but they've hiked the price! Thought Nintendo had undershipped it but maybe it's more popular than I thought.

I know digital sales aren't taken into account, so that might be part of the reason, but I expected Wolfenstein to have sold more. Not least because it's multi-platform.

59 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Did you just do this fix, or did you also do the additional thing of putting some tape in the centre? Apparently that raises the pivot point up, which also helps.

Yeah, I did the central tape. Took a bit of trial and error,  as the first couple of times it was either too thick or too thin, but third time worked a charm. 

On 26/07/2019 at 20:21, Mr Tony said:

Awesome. I'll be buying them!

Any of you lot use a grip case? 90% of my switch playing is done in handheld mode, but trying to play FPS games like that gives me horrible hand cramp. I was looking at the Orzly Grip Case for £8 on Amazon unless anyone has a better recommendation. 

I have the Skull & Co. Gripcase.  It's amazing!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71HPQ069SRL._SX466_.jpg

10 hours ago, Omizzay said:

I have the Skull & Co. Gripcase.  It's amazing!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71HPQ069SRL._SX466_.jpg

Totally agree. I got one of these last week after getting stung by a cheap knock off a few months ago. 

Its so comfortable. I can play for hours with no hand cramping.

only cost about about 15 quid aswell. 

Got Doom II - tbh after expecting it to be £19.99 or some shit I felt I couldn't say no when I saw it was actually extremely reasonably priced! Well they haven't patched out the need for the Bethesda net login yet, had a right old faff getting it up and running, had to go to a PC. But apart from that it is as great as ever. Something so liberating about not having to aim on the Y-axis! I was tempted to play it single stick like I did back in the days, but that doesn't seem to be an option (except maybe for single Joycon, but I ain't playing like that).

22 hours ago, ann coulter said:

It's also sold out at shopto.net, thegamecollection.net, base.com. Simplygames still has it but they've hiked the price! Thought Nintendo had undershipped it but maybe it's more popular than I thought.

I think it’s also because most popular streamers are playing this non stop on twitch too

Posted this in the Captain Toad thread but it may be of interest here too. Potentially free Captain Toad!

The full game is going free to play in Japan from 5 August to 11 August for those with a Nintendo Online sub. Interestingly you can download it for free from the Japan store already (am doing so now) and it has full English language support, so it'll be interesting to see if it lets us launch the game on the UK accounts our online subs are attached to. Have to wait until 5 August to find out, I guess.