rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Describing it as a second Switch for our 'gaming arsenal' would be great if you could actually move data between the machines. But you almost certainly won't be able to, so this won't work for me. If you could, I'd consider buying one for my son but I'm obviously not going to buy digital games twice.

Pretty sure you can game share?

9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm not sure that this is "better". It's cheaper, smaller and apparently has slightly improved battery life, but it can't output to a TV and the joycons are fixed. If you just want a handheld then it's probably a better choice, but you'd lose out on the flexibility of the regular Switch.

They have the stats on how each mode of the Switch is used, so I'm betting they've found a large proportion only ever use it handheld. I know a few people on here do.

Makes sense to have a cheaper handheld only device if that's the case. Still a shame it won't dock though.

Not being able to use the same account on both a normal and Lite would complicate matters a lot. Especially if most of your library is digital. And Nintendo's track-record with digital is spotty at best so... oh boy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Not quite.

I can get a digital version of a game and install it on my Switch and my daughter's hypothetical Switch. However, she can only use it using my profile on her Switch (not her own), and if she's doing that I can't play it on my Switch at the same time.

So what I'm saying is, we need to buy two copies of Animal Crossing.

• Upvote 1

Will they allow this unit to run at a higher clock speed so those games that don't run as well as docked get a bit of a performance boost?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You can gameshare with downloaded games i believe. However, i'd want to say take my switch lite with mario maker 2 somewhere, maybe work on a level during lunch and then come home and continue working on it on my normal switch. Something like that.

Can you be logged into the same account on two systems?

Just now, teddymeow said:

Will they allow this unit to run at a higher clock speed so those games that don't run as well as docked get a bit of a performance boost?

Seems pretty unlikely.

• Upvote 1

How much do we thing? £179? £100 less than the real Switch.

Probably be £199 though.

Does Mario Odyssey require motion controls (flicking stuff)? What will happen with this?

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

It sounds a bit 2DS really, in terms of audience and form.

But not price, crucially.

I see no reason why it can't use a dock, seems like a bizarre decision.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

this is the question I was going to ask.

Just now, Stanley said:

But not price, crucially.

I see no reason why it can't use a dock, seems like a bizarre decision.

It does, I guess perhaps the smaller size means it wouldn't fit existing docks, and they don't want to make a new one? Also saved a few pennies taking out the relevant components, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

Does Mario Odyssey require motion controls (flicking stuff)? What will happen with this?

It doesn't require them. You can still use the joypad, but i believe the motion controls are better in a way (a lot of speedrunners tend to use motion for this reason).

I'm surprised nothing has been said about the onboard memory - assuming it's 32GB again - there is a SD Card slot on the back of the unit lite though.

2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

It does, I guess perhaps the smaller size means it wouldn't fit existing docks, and they don't want to make a new one? Also saved a few pennies taking out the relevant components, no doubt.

I'm sure they save a bit of cash removing the hdmi / output components. I am surprised that it doesn't have output via USBC or even screen mirroring though.

Nintendo had said that Pokémon: Let's Go was designed to be a TV experience and that Sword/Shield were created as handheld experiences. I wonder if we'll see more of this.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm sure they save a bit of cash removing the hdmi / output components. I am surprised that it doesn't have output via USBC or even screen mirroring though.

Because the games would - for most people - look shit. You’d be playing the handheld mode version on a big tv.

6 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

Be interesting to find out. I remember at least one moon (in the desert level) requires flicking the joycon after taking control of a bullet bill, otherwise you can't make it far enough before you lose control.

Just now, imp said:

Be interesting to find out. I remember at least one moon (in the desert level) requires flicking the joycon after taking control of a bullet bill, otherwise you can't make it far enough before you lose control.

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

Because the games would - for most people - look shit. You’d be playing the handheld mode version on a big tv.

Yeah, ok good point.

They should have really improved the battery life up to 10 hours.

Good to see Nintendo have at least learned a bit of forward thinking as far as their control methods go. I remember being astounded when I couldn't use the Wii U pro controller on NSMBU.

(EDIT: this is in ref to the fact Odyssey has a fall back to non-motion controls)

We have digital titles bought under my account and my son's account. Can't see this working well for us, unless they remove some of the restrictions of their game sharing. 

2 hours ago, smac said:

Quick: someone get @TehStu up to 88MPH...

:)

Yeah, the form factor really is genius. My lad has taken to playing with the Switch on the coffee table propped up by the stand, like a mini TV. Even when the big TV isn't in use. Takes all sorts, but then that's the beauty of it.

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

They should have really improved the battery life up to 10 hours.

What's the betting it uses the exact same battery, and the paltry gains are simply due to the smaller screen?

13 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

It does, yes. Some moons can't be collected without the "jump slightly higher" waggle move.