rllmuk

Nintendo Switch

Is 3 hours of battery really not enough for people? I mean, I'll always take a longer battery life, but not at the expense of other things (weight and portability etc). If I'm on a plane, I have a plug. If I'm on a train, I have a plug. If I'm at home, I'm near a plug. When I put it down, I put it in the dock and it charges a bit more before I play it again. I only ever use it in handheld mode and it's never a problem for me.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah the bezel is shit - I was hoping Nintendo would get with the programme instead of rocking form factors like it's 2006. 

I think they should increase its height a couple of mil to retain their 6.2, or else take advantage by making the Lite smaller.

And I know it'd be 720p, but I could still imagine lots of people using an HDMI-out occasionally. Like if you want a portable for commuting that you can plug in at work or whatnot. If you're staying somewhere with a TV overnight...

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is 3 hours of battery really not enough for people? I mean, I'll always take a longer battery life, but not at the expense of other things (weight and portability etc). If I'm on a plane, I have a plug. If I'm on a train, I have a plug. If I'm at home, I'm near a plug. When I put it down, I put it in the dock and it charges a bit more before I play it again. I only ever use it in handheld mode and it's never a problem for me.

Long haul you’ll have a plug. Short haul, probably not. And if it’s your kid using it and you’re spending ages clearing customs or waiting in departures (and can’t find a plug), it eats up quick.

I assume you only take the train during off peak hours.

The main thing is the hassle of having to charge it more often or sit there with a wire tethering you down. Granted, there are worse things happening in the world but you’d want a longer battery life on any portable device. It’s not portable when it’s plugged into a wall.

• Upvote 4

I imagined a Switch Lite as more of a DS-sized thing with a clamshell form that you could fold up and stick in your pocket. This looks only marginally less cumbersome to lug about with you than the original Switch. Pointless unless you have no interest in playing on a TV. At least they gave it a d-pad.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Long haul you’ll have a plug. Short haul, probably not. And if it’s your kid using it and you’re spending ages clearing customs or waiting in departures (and can’t find a plug), it eats up quick.

I assume you only take the train during off peak hours.

The main thing is the hassle of having to charge it more often or sit there with a wire tethering you down. Granted, there are worse things happening in the world but you’d want a longer battery life on any portable device. It’s not portable when it’s plugged into a wall.

Also as every parent knows, being handed a device because it's run out of juice is a pain in the arse and it's gonna happen more with these.

5 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Nintendon’t switch.

Ninten No Switch

I had a Switch for a few weeks until I realised I was only playing inferior ports at home on it, so it's always been a handheld to me. But losing the ability to continue on a bigger screen at home's pretty huge, and it could've been way more portable.

The thing they really need to get right as well is the marketing message. Not for folks on here, but for the parents buying one for their children who don't know much about it. They are going to have to make it incredibly clear that this doesn't connect to a TV, or they will have a whole bunch of possibly pissed off purchasers who will fill the crap papers with their complaints and gripes, which the press will all too gleefully jump on.

Given Nintendo's efforts on communicating in the past, I don't trust them to do this properly. The one time they nailed it perfectly was with the Switch launch, so maybe it'll all be grand. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Vorgot said:

The thing they really need to get right as well is the marketing message. Not for folks on here, but for the parents buying one for their children who don't know much about it. They are going to have to make it incredibly clear that this doesn't connect to a TV, or they will have a whole bunch of possibly pissed off purchasers who will fill the crap papers with their complaints and gripes, which the press will all too gleefully jump on.

Given Nintendo's efforts on communicating in the past, I don't trust them to do this properly. The one time they nailed it perfectly was with the Switch launch, so maybe it'll all be grand. 

Hmmm, and considering the promo video shows Switch Lite plays all Switch games which support handheld mode as denoted on the back of each box, before choosing to demonstrate how it also works with games like 1-2 Switch provided you have extra joycons - a game which doesn't support handheld mode. So no mixed messaging there :wacko:

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

You say that but this is way more expensive than the 2DS, for example, and so are the games. This is also looks way more flimsy and breakable if dropped than the DS family of consoles.

I mean I presume it has the same chipset as the other Switch, so not offering a dock accessory seems odd and cuts off another revenue stream.

Also the lack of a kickstand is another odd decision - especially as they show how 1/2 Switch works with additional joycons.

Obviously I fucking want one :facepalm:

It's a new SoC. probably a die shrunk Tegra. That's a pretty expensive thing to do. Also latest reports say that nintendo has also issued a filing for a revised switch with differant SoC and differant internal storage.

13 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

True enough. Look at the clusterfuck Wii U was.

Just now, Paulando said:

It's almost like this is who they've designed it for.

Yes, except that I don't think it's really designed for playing on the go. I don't think the original Switch is either. Playing it on the bus is an absolutely awful experience. Are people seriously fishing a case out of their rucksack, taking the Switch out of the case, putting the case away, plugging their earphones into the Switch and booting it up for fifteen minutes, then putting it all away again when they reach their stop, all while wedged between a passenger on their left and a window on their right? As opposed to taking a DS or, these days, a smartphone out of their pocket?

It's designed perfectly for lounging around at home in different rooms and in bed, or at least that's the only time I use it as a handheld. And I love it for that reason. Or in the back of a car, actually - I can see that.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Yes, except that I don't think it's really designed for playing on the go. I don't think the original Switch is either. Playing it on the bus is an absolutely awful experience. Are people seriously fishing a case out of their rucksack, taking the Switch out of the case, putting the case away, plugging their earphones into the Switch and booting it up for fifteen minutes, then putting it all away again when they reach their stop, all while wedged between a passenger on their left and a window on their right? As opposed to taking a DS or, these days, a smartphone out of their pocket?

It's designed perfectly for lounging around at home in different rooms and in bed, or at least that's the only time I use it as a handheld. And I love it for that reason. Or in the back of a car, actually - I can see that.

I've used this example before, but Switch is the perfect coffee shop console, and you can't walk down any high st these days without there being a billion of them.

One nice way of looking at it is that the Lite is essentially the follow up to the Gameboy Advance, the GBA2 so to speak. Perhaps one day we'll get a Switch Micro with Advance Wars 3 :o

24 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

For me it wont be portable enough to replace other handheld options - and overpriced - but the inclusion of the D-Pad and the screen's increased PPI makes it the Switch I'd opt for.

What other options are there? 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What other options are there? 

GBA with a flash cart. Vita, PSP. 3DS. All sensibly sized handheld options with a million things to play if out and about.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Hmmm, and considering the promo video shows Switch Lite plays all Switch games which support handheld mode as denoted on the back of each box, before choosing to demonstrate how it also works with games like 1-2 Switch provided you have extra joycons - a game which doesn't support handheld mode. So no mixed messaging there :wacko:

1 2 Switch does support handheld mode. But you will need to stand up the Lite somehow when playing with someone using joy cons.

On 26/06/2019 at 14:10, bradigor said:

Decided I couldn't afford £60+ for a Pro Controller, so picked up one of these:

Third Part Switch Pro Controller

Y'know what? It is pretty decent, no NFC, but other than that it feels as good as a Pro Controller. Everything seemingly works fine and the Switch even sees it as the Splatoon version too. 

Cheers for the recommendation on this. Mine arrived today and it's great.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, NEG said:

GBA with a flash cart. Vita, PSP. 3DS. All sensibly sized handheld options with a million things to play if out and about.

Not really comparable are they? None of them are even in production, and good luck playing BoTW, Odyssey, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokemon etc. Switch Lite will be the only dedicated handheld on the market now that support for 3DS has pretty much died.

25 minutes ago, NEG said:

1 2 Switch does support handheld mode. But you will need to stand up the Lite somehow when playing with someone using joy cons.

That's my point, 1-2 Switch does not show the symbol for handheld play on the back of the box, the one they advise you to look for when determining which software is compatible with the Lite, and as you point out, it's not obvious how local multiplayer on one Switch Lite works without a kick stand. 

57 minutes ago, alex3d said:

According to the FT "most games" will be compatible. Is that true? Which games won't be? 

Does snipper clips use the joy cons as “wiimote” style motion controllers? 

Id imagine any games that only have that option would be incompatible.

35 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Ah, okay. Hope they communicate that correctly to consumers.

54 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I'm sure Nintendo would happily remind everyone that they can just buy new Joy-Cons to achieve this.

EDIT - And perhaps sir might consider a new Charging Joy-Con Grip(TM) so that he might charge his new Joy-Cons.

Double Edit - I actually think the Switch Lite is a great move. Timed around Pokemon, it's obviously going to get the Switch into the hands of a lot more kids in a kid-friendly way (no chance of losing a Joy-Con in the park or wherever it is that kids go). It also doesn't annoy any existing Switch owners because there's no new functionality that they're suddenly missing out on - this isn't a New 3DS second stick situation. I think it's great. The compromises are a shame but make sense. I guess the major challenge will be communicating the lack of TV mode. They maybe should have called it the 'Switch Out' or 'Switch Go' or 'Switch No TV Mode Edition' to really communicate that detail.

16 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Ah, okay. Hope they communicate that correctly to consumers.

In the reveal video they already did - look for the “hand held supported” logo on the back of the game box. If it’s there, it’ll work.