rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

39 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Say someone had completely ignored the switch since launch, but was due to receive one at some point in the next week, what would your recommendations be for EXCLUSIVE stuff. 

I'm sure I'll get round to buying loads of indie stuff on the eshop, half of which I'll probably own already, but I'm really interested in the stuff I can't play anywhere else. 

Although tbh it'll probably be 99% a mobile Dark Souls device for the majority of its life...

Dark Souls is amazing on Switch, for both portable and docked play, it's a lovely conversion.

Box Boy & Box Girl would be my other recommendation, lovely little game especially in co-op.

Smash Bros is utterly essential too.

• Upvote 1

Midwalian has pretty much nailed it - you can't go wrong with the pile of awesome that would be:

BotW

Splatoon 2

Mario Cars 8 Deluxe

Splatoon 2

Mario Odyssey

Splatoon 2

Mario and Rabbids

Splatoon 2

ARMS

Splatoon 2

• Upvote 5

@Blunted - you'll want to be picking up Super Mario Maker 2 at the end of June too, if you have any love for 2D Mario platform games.

Endless enjoyment.

• Upvote 1

And then 2 weeks after that Dragon Quest Builders 2, which will probably be game of the year - it looks amazing.

2019 is Switch's year no question.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Midwalian has pretty much nailed it - you can't go wrong with the pile of awesome that would be:

BotW

Splatoon 2

Mario Cars 8 Deluxe

Splatoon 2

Mario Odyssey

Splatoon 2

Mario and Rabbids

Splatoon 2

ARMS

Splatoon 2

Will just 5 copies of Splatoon 2 be enough? :lol:

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Blunted said:

Get the year online subscription and take advantage of the 84 quid voucher scheme they've just implemented.

34 minutes ago, Blunted said:

You can get free online via amazon/twitch if you have prime. 

• Upvote 1

I've snapped up Super Robot Wars.  Only tried these games years ago on the GBA, but didn't get very far.

Anyone played the Switch one?

On 17/05/2019 at 18:04, Blunted said:

No. You can never have enough Splatoon 2. NEVER.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

No. You can never have enough Splatoon 2. NEVER.

I took a look at my playing time on the Switch...:o

• Empathy 1

Was 995 hours a few weeks/months back. It's now over 1000 for sure.

It's my daily go-to game; even if I'm running through another game, say on PS4, I'll have a 40 min session at lunchtime.

Not that I'm that highly ranked as a result of all that game time - @DC Lemon is something like X Rank on all modes, I float around the lower S+ ranks.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Soi said:

I've had a Switch for a few months, but not picked up Splatoon 2. What makes it so good?

It's a third person shooter that is entirely unlike any other third person shooter. It's an absolute delight to play, look at and listen to.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Soi said:

I've had a Switch for a few months, but not picked up Splatoon 2. What makes it so good?

It's hard to explain but if you ever got hooked on a multiplayer FPS before, be it Counter Strike, Quake, Doom, CoD or whatever, most people who got hooked on that kind of game for the first time because it was a new twist on a familiar mechanic. We'd all played shooters before Doom introduced LAN enabled multiplayer in the early 90s, but the addition of competitive shooting against real people made it fresh. 
Splatoon takes everything that you love about multiplayer shooters and in many ways re-invents the genre. It also rewards team play as it's impossible to get anywhere if everyone runs around Rambo style. 

• Upvote 1

For me, no voice chat in online, but generally it's a great online game.

Matches are short, around 3-4 mins or so, and intense (especially in ranked). The setup allows for an amazingly rich set of, frankly, bonkers weapons types, and a tactically complex game.

See, think of it a bit like a paintballing game - except that you shoot a lot more ink, and it covers the ground, which in the basic game is what you need to do - cover more ground in ink than your opponents. You can ink over their ink, too, to reclaim what you lose to them. Hit your enemies with enough ink and they get 'splatted' and returned to base to respawn.

But then - you're a squid kid! You can instantly change form from kid to squid, and in squid form cannot shoot but can swim through ink of your colour; you're harder to see and move faster in this way. So inking also gives you freer travel around the level. This switching between squid and kid allows you to set up pop-up ambushes, lurk in the ink, slide unseen down inked walls and the like.

And as you are splashing ink around, the variety of weapons is massive - as well as basic 'shooters' from fast and short-range to slow and hard-hitting, to 'sniper' type weapons, you have buckets to slosh paint, paintbrushes which give you super-speed on foot, modified washing machines ('sloshing machines') that play like mortars, umbrellas that shoot ink like shotguns and act as shields...

And each weapon has two sub-weapons; a standard sub like a grenade, sticky grenade, rain cloud (rains ink over a wide area), ink bubbles; and a special, which you need to charge up by covering the ground in ink.

You buy items of clothing (in-game currency, no IAPs here) that have a primary buff and can be trained with up to three secondary buffs, that do anything from make you invisible when moving in ink to reducing ink consumption to increasing movement speed. So you can tailor your gear to your play style.

So a hugely rich gameplay that they have balanced to perfection. And in a joyous setting - no dull brown marines here.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Soi said:

Cheers all. I love multiplayer shooters...

Sticks to aim or gyro?

More people use gyro apparently. I prefer sticks in the pro controller as I never play it in hand held.

• Upvote 1

Has gyro aiming, and that's the way to go, with sensitivity set to max.

I play it exclusively on a Pro controller - a lot of people swear by detached joycons.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Soi said:

Cheers all. I love multiplayer shooters...

Sticks to aim or gyro?

Both. Sticks for broad movement, gyro for precise control. I've seen people turn off the gyro bit, but they are wrong. When it clicks, anything else feels like a nasty, imprecise step backwards.

I've said it before, and I'm sticking with it, Splatoon 2 is one of the best things Nintendo have put out in years. It's ridiculously well put together.

• Upvote 1