rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Just now, The Mighty Ash said:

So it charges in the dock but can't display on the tv :lol:

well there could be some missing information from the translation. Maybe it comes with a special type of recharge dock like the ones used on the WiiU gamepad or something.

All the printing is back to front. They'll have to sort that out.

The idea of a Switch that doesn't, you know, Switch, seems weird. But there's bound to be a market for it. 

Just now, jimmbob said:

All the printing is back to front. They'll have to sort that out.

The idea of a Switch that doesn't, you know, Switch, seems weird. But there's bound to be a market for it. 

Well look at the 2ds. Took out the main gimmick of the 3ds and yet still sold well as a cheaper, kid friendly alternative. I think that is the kind of market they would go with for this.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Well look at the 2ds. Took out the main gimmick of the 3ds and yet still sold well as a cheaper, kid friendly alternative. I think that is the kind of market they would go with for this.  

Hard to see why they would take out the docking capability though.  It doesn't cost anything.

1 minute ago, JPickford said:

Hard to see why they would take out the docking capability though.  It doesn't cost anything.

The wall street journal leak suggested there would be two machines, one a portable only version (cheaper) and the other a Premium version (more expensive than the standard switch). I think that the cheaper one is going to be for kids and the premium for adults. Oh and as for the GPU speed increase I was wrong, the speed listed is the boost portable mode speed on a standard switch. So it's simply a smaller, cheaper switch with no changes to hardware. 

All I can think of is that the smaller one can only run at the slower speed (due to lack of space for a fan?) so docking isn't happening.  Although I don't see why they couldn't just have a 720p video out which just mirrored the undocked mode image.

15 minutes ago, JPickford said:

All I can think of is that the smaller one can only run at the slower speed (due to lack of space for a fan?) so docking isn't happening.  Although I don't see why they couldn't just have a 720p video out which just mirrored the undocked mode image.

There is still the venting holes at the top and back so active cooling is still being used. The switches fan is pretty small really. They may even use passive cooling if the chip has been shrunk as then it could run cooler.

5 hours ago, sharak said:

Hello I think I am going to get a switch.

What 3 games should I buy so I don't miss out and to get the ball rolling? Fav genres are schmups, platformers... maybe RPG... racing games...

Sonic Mania already purchased :)

If you like shmups Rolling Gunner is a must. You'll have to get it from the Japanese eshop, but it isn't too much hassle. 

• Upvote 1

If it can't dock why does it have the big notch at the bottom that the Switch uses to line up for docking? And why does it have the same HAC 001 model number?

Probably true if I've said it's fake of course.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

It says no dock MODE. As in it doesn’t get boosted when it’s in the dock and will output the same 720p image as it does when portable. 

2 minutes ago, sharak said:

Bought one! I haven’t ordered the switch yet! :)

I know you won't have received the game yet, but the transaction itself went through ok?

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I know you won't have received the game yet, but the transaction itself went through ok?

Transaction did yes, sad to hear it’s a scam but not really surprised. But hey ho. I’ll find a switch through a real channel and odyssey likewise when the time comes. 

11 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

It says no dock MODE. As in it doesn’t get boosted when it’s in the dock and will output the same 720p image as it does when portable. 

Why would that ever happen - that would save absolutely nothing. If you've got the dock and power/connector there, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from not putting out the 1080p image. It's not using different hardware or anything, it's just making use of the fact it's not running on battery power basically.

4 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Has anyone heard of Game2K? Switch for £189.99 anyone? Never heard of them personally and it might be a scam. 

https://game2k.co.uk/consoles/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-console-neon.html

Don't know the rest of the stock seem to have standard-ish prices and the Switch is on sale. Maybe they are flushing some stock before the new units arrive? Give them a call. Buy with a credit card if you do.... you'll be covered anyway.

22 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Switch footage of MK11 is starting to appear - looks decent enough I guess.

compression and low res video there suggests that it probably looks much much better IRL

There's no platform in mind just yet - funding and a publisher must come first - but Goddard would like the game to eventually be designed with a single one in mind so that the game can be built out to that particular platform's strengths.

• Upvote 6