rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's not on the Wii U.

Damnit, I've made a mistake. For some reason I read it as Mario KART, not PARTY. Sorry @RYAN WHITELAW, you need to erase everything I said about your question about Mario Party :(

There seems to have been some confusion over Mario Party/Karty. 

Kart is a must-own; Party can be very good fun if you’ve got 3 others to play with, especially the rafting mode. I wasn’t familiar with the board game mode, which I understand is the meat of the game, and found it quite boring just sitting around waiting for others to finish their turns so I could get a chance to roll a 1, land on a turd square and be sent to the other side of the board... but the rafting game is ace, non-stop participation for all and with a lovely cooperative element. 

Out of all my digital games the only ones I play regularly are

Hollow Knight

Dead Cells

Enter the Gungeon

Celeste

Just shapes and beats 

24 minutes ago, Delargey said:

For Party - does everyone need the game for thr rafting to work or only one person?

You only need one copy of the game as you all play on the same console.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

There seems to have been some confusion over Mario Party/Karty. 

Kart is a must-own; Party can be very good fun if you’ve got 3 others to play with, especially the rafting mode. I wasn’t familiar with the board game mode, which I understand is the meat of the game, and found it quite boring just sitting around waiting for others to finish their turns so I could get a chance to roll a 1, land on a turd square and be sent to the other side of the board... but the rafting game is ace, non-stop participation for all and with a lovely cooperative element. 

This is true but the rafting game only features about eight of the minigames so it gets quite repetitive very quickly.

24 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I just bought Mario Party!

Luckily it’s quite good too, but it’s almost pointless to play it alone.

11 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I hear ya. I have Zelda and picking up Civ and Mario Odyssey today. Not really interested in Splatoon as im more focused on single player games. But if i can get it at a good price i might be tempted.

That'll see you through quite nicely for awhile I would of thought.  I'm quite enjoying half an hour, forty minutes of odyssey before bed time.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Having picked up about two hundred games on the eShop since it launched, my honest assessment would be that you'd be a lot better off saving your money for the bigger titles which have a shitload of depth and replayability. I know that's not what you're asking but there's a shitload more to Splatoon 2 for forty quid than eight games for a fiver, for example.

Agree with this. 

I bought loads of crap in the infamous drought of 2018, much of which was lauded in here.  Celeste, Hollow Knight, Steamworld, Golf Story, Axiom Verge. 

For the price of all them you could get any of Mario, Zelda, Mario Cars or Splatoon, each of which are 10x better than the aforementioned and which you’ll play for 10 times longer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

I only hear good things about Celeste and Hollow Knight.

In other news, hopefully we find out today if the rumored Nintendo Direct for thursday is a real thing or not.

10 hours ago, davidcotton said:

That'll see you through quite nicely for awhile I would of thought.  I'm quite enjoying half an hour, forty minutes of odyssey before bed time.

Holding off on Civ for now. Currently have Mario party and Odyssey, Enter the Gungeon (which i have on xbox already but i love it) Steamworld Dig 2 and Zelda.

Zelda i wasnt feeling, getting my ass kicked at the beginning but after a couple hours in getting into it. Any tips for a beginner who has not played a Zelda game since ALTTP?

If you're finding one way too difficult then go another. There's no right or wrong way to play, just explore, follow your nose, and see where the adventure takes you. You can increase your hearts and stamina with spirit orbs obtained by completing shrines, that should also make things a bit easier.

53 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Zelda i wasnt feeling, getting my ass kicked at the beginning but after a couple hours in getting into it. Any tips for a beginner who has not played a Zelda game since ALTTP?

Its a very different Zelda game to what has gone before and leans more heavily to open world RPGs. So its far less linear and scripted in comparison to the Zeldas of old. 

Found the best tactic at the beginning of the game is just run from most of the enemies! :) 

Still unsure about the new direction of Zelda myself. Keep trying to persevere with it but sometimes it feels like working.... :D (managing resources etc). Also the weapons wear out and break. Don't like this aspect personally.

58 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Be creative with your powers. Freeze stuff, stasis stuff, pick stuff up and swing it around with your magnet, bomb bomb bomb bomb. You're not supposed to melee your way through the game, you're expected to use your powers and there's so much you can do that you probably imagine you can't in an open world game. There's so much to explore and exploit with the physics and elemental effects and even the weather. Be creative.

Treat weapons as consumables. They break pretty quickly but they're replaced constantly. Use weaker weapons on weaker enemies and just use your stronger weapons on stronger enemies. They'll drop more strong stuff. If you're cold, carry a torch or eat some chilli. If you're hot, cool down however you can. There are so many systems at play and they pretty much all work as you'd imagine, if you can imagine them working so naturally in a game.

There's no order, no set path, no best route, no min maxing. It's just all there for you to explore in your own way. 

• Upvote 6

Saw some game on Twitter the other day where you play as a pair of panties and shoot stuff, played a bit like star fox. Looked alright, actually. Can’t remember the name though. 

It was Japanese unsurprisingly. 

Did anyone ever end up replacing the outer shell of the Switch when the cracks started to appear? Is it easy enough to do? I.e. just unscrew, remove old shell, put new shell on and screw in or is there more to it?

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Did anyone ever end up replacing the outer shell of the Switch when the cracks started to appear? Is it easy enough to do? I.e. just unscrew, remove old shell, put new shell on and screw in or is there more to it?

I think the main Switch case is relatively easy to do, but the joycons are much more fiddly. I got @Das to fit a new translucent case to mine (he did an excellent job), so he'll have more of an idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

I think the main Switch case is relatively easy to do, but the joycons are much more fiddly. I got @Das to fit a new translucent case to mine (he did an excellent job), so he'll have more of an idea.

Exactly. Case is pretty easy. Joy-cons...they are a whole other matter! I actually broke one of the trigger switches doing my own Switch recently. Luckily I managed to bodge a repair with some superglue! To be more specific the see-through joy-con cases are the trickiest. If you are changing for a solid colour case it's not as fiddly due to not having to change the centre part of the housing.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rgraves said:

4 hours ago, Das said:

Exactly. Case is pretty easy. Joy-cons...they are a whole other matter! I actually broke one of the trigger switches doing my own Switch recently. Luckily I managed to bodge a repair with some superglue! To be more specific the see-through joy-con cases are the trickiest. If you are changing for a solid colour case it's not as fiddly due to not having to change the centre part of the housing.

Thank you both. Its just the switch case im going to look at getting done (has a couple of cracks from those early issues and there is 1 in particular that really bugs me when i play in handheld mode

42 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Thank you both. Its just the switch case im going to look at getting done (has a couple of cracks from those early issues and there is 1 in particular that really bugs me when i play in handheld mode

Cool. If you don't fancy diving in then I can do it for you for a small fee.

• Upvote 1