IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

58 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Zelda i wasnt feeling, getting my ass kicked at the beginning but after a couple hours in getting into it. Any tips for a beginner who has not played a Zelda game since ALTTP?

Be creative with your powers. Freeze stuff, stasis stuff, pick stuff up and swing it around with your magnet, bomb bomb bomb bomb. You're not supposed to melee your way through the game, you're expected to use your powers and there's so much you can do that you probably imagine you can't in an open world game. There's so much to explore and exploit with the physics and elemental effects and even the weather. Be creative.

Treat weapons as consumables. They break pretty quickly but they're replaced constantly. Use weaker weapons on weaker enemies and just use your stronger weapons on stronger enemies. They'll drop more strong stuff. If you're cold, carry a torch or eat some chilli. If you're hot, cool down however you can. There are so many systems at play and they pretty much all work as you'd imagine, if you can imagine them working so naturally in a game.

There's no order, no set path, no best route, no min maxing. It's just all there for you to explore in your own way. 

Did anyone ever end up replacing the outer shell of the Switch when the cracks started to appear? Is it easy enough to do? I.e. just unscrew, remove old shell, put new shell on and screw in or is there more to it?

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Did anyone ever end up replacing the outer shell of the Switch when the cracks started to appear? Is it easy enough to do? I.e. just unscrew, remove old shell, put new shell on and screw in or is there more to it?

I think the main Switch case is relatively easy to do, but the joycons are much more fiddly. I got @Das to fit a new translucent case to mine (he did an excellent job), so he'll have more of an idea.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

I think the main Switch case is relatively easy to do, but the joycons are much more fiddly. I got @Das to fit a new translucent case to mine (he did an excellent job), so he'll have more of an idea.

Exactly. Case is pretty easy. Joy-cons...they are a whole other matter! I actually broke one of the trigger switches doing my own Switch recently. Luckily I managed to bodge a repair with some superglue! To be more specific the see-through joy-con cases are the trickiest. If you are changing for a solid colour case it's not as fiddly due to not having to change the centre part of the housing.

5 hours ago, rgraves said:

4 hours ago, Das said:

Exactly. Case is pretty easy. Joy-cons...they are a whole other matter! I actually broke one of the trigger switches doing my own Switch recently. Luckily I managed to bodge a repair with some superglue! To be more specific the see-through joy-con cases are the trickiest. If you are changing for a solid colour case it's not as fiddly due to not having to change the centre part of the housing.

Thank you both. Its just the switch case im going to look at getting done (has a couple of cracks from those early issues and there is 1 in particular that really bugs me when i play in handheld mode

42 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Thank you both. Its just the switch case im going to look at getting done (has a couple of cracks from those early issues and there is 1 in particular that really bugs me when i play in handheld mode

Cool. If you don't fancy diving in then I can do it for you for a small fee.

I recently got a switch and am loving it but the joycons are too small. I hear there's two new switch models coming out, any word on these? I just want bigger joycons, I like to use the switch in mobile mode, joycons connected, so a pro controller is not a great solution.

Also, I believe there's an eshop sale starting tomorrow on premium games, Zelda, Mario etc

@Max Damage Slightly pricey but I can enormously recommend the Satisfye grip which makes it feel almost like a Pro Controller in handheld. I went from playing 1% handheld to about 33% handheld because of this grip. I've owned several others none has really done the trick til the Satisfye. 

Started playing Zelda. After about 2 hours all im thinking is "is this supposedly the best game ever?" But im on the 4th hour and i think i may be warming to it. 

How do you get more hearts, i take it i have to just keeping completing shrines?

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

@Max Damage Slightly pricey but I can enormously recommend the Satisfye grip which makes it feel almost like a Pro Controller in handheld. I went from playing 1% handheld to about 33% handheld because of this grip. I've owned several others none has really done the trick til the Satisfye. 

I really need a grip as i get cramp after 30 mins play and i will be mostly using it in handheld mode. I cant seem to find a decent priced (cheap) grip and cant find uk stock of the one you mentioned.

5 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I really need a grip as i get cramp after 30 mins play and i will be mostly using it in handheld mode. I cant seem to find a decent priced (cheap) grip and cant find uk stock of the one you mentioned.

I ordered it from abroad, think I went direct to their website, actually. It came pretty quickly. For me, as I say, it's well worth it and having tried and discarded three other 'recommended' grips, I can honestly say this is the only one I'd recommend. 

1 hour ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Started playing Zelda. After about 2 hours all im thinking is "is this supposedly the best game ever?" But im on the 4th hour and i think i may be warming to it. 

How do you get more hearts, i take it i have to just keeping completing shrines?

Yes you get a spirit orb for completing a shrine, once you have four you can upgrade your health or stamina by praying at a Goddess statue.

2 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

No it's not the best game ever. It's not even the best Zelda game ever. In fact, it's not even a proper Zelda game.

46 minutes ago, Das said:

No it's not the best game ever. It's not even the best Zelda game ever. In fact, it's not even a proper Zelda game.

Guess its just consensus what makes a "best game". Like everything I guess. Just because a majority rate a game highly don't mean to say you have to like it! :)

Personally at times I can appreciate the technical innovation a game brings to the market... however not really that keen on the actual game itself. Just don't gel with me for whatever reason! GTA series is one like this... appreciate the tech but the gameplay leaves me cold. 

Zelda BOTW I have struggled with since I got it. That's because I enjoyed the iterations on the N64/Wii/GC. Didn't really like the 2D Zeldas. Not feeling it with the BOTW. For me a game must be fun and give me some entertainment. Not getting either with Zelda really. Still can't figure out why. Love the presentation visuals and sound are great. Love exploring about. But just can't be bothered to make any progress in it. Just play it for an hour or so and get bored. Just seems a bit repetitive. Go to a shrine build health. Attack monsters. Get weapons.. weapons break. Look for new weapons etc etc. Make food. Cook food. Again great technical details... but you know what? I cook in the real world and gather resources in the real world. :D When I play I want to escape from that!!! Spent in total probably around 6 hours on it so far. 

I think it will be sold shortly.