rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

What?, I didn't see anybody actually confirming it one way or the other, so I thought I'd do a public service for all the lazy bastards out there and confirm what was actually said. I suppose in future I'll be more interesting to see how long wrong information can remain in circulation, considering what was posted was from a supposed journalistic source and seemed credible as they even included "quotes".

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, mushashi said:

What?, I didn't see anybody actually confirming it one way or the other, so I thought I'd do a public service for all the lazy bastards out there and confirm what was actually said. I suppose in future I'll be more interesting to see how long wrong information can remain in circulation, considering what was posted was from a supposed journalistic source and seemed credible as they even included "quotes".

Aye, sorry Mushi. Don't know why I was so narky before.

24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Whats the verdict on that daemon something demo (the one with the mechs)? Worth my time?

It's worth a try - some people are liking it, others finding it not so much to their taste. It's a bit slow and ponderous, and the UI can be overly fussy, but earning upgrades even in the demo starts to fix the pace so I suspect it's not going to be like it all the way through.

Personally, I think it shows a lot of promise - I'm edging more towards giving it a chance now than I was before I played it. But YMMV absolutely.

Has anyone else tried the Trials beta? I had a go at it last night but concluded it probably wont be purchased on Switch for me. While the game itself looks and plays fine, the sub 30 fps made it a lot more difficult to master that needed. I know it's beta and all that, but that framerate was horrible at times. 

• Upvote 1

My favourite part of the DXM demo was creating the character. The style is there but the missions left me cold. 

They're asking for feedback. It might be that the game will never be for me but motion controls are a must if it's to ever win me over.

I felt with Daemon X Machina the way I do about all mech games really in that normal controllers just don't feel purpose built for what what they're trying to achieve. I know you can customise the controls but it just felt fiddly and awkward. Also the art style they've chosen means it's often hard to make out enemies against the background and I spend far too much time just trying to locate and identify threats. I'm not writing it off but it will have to receive glowing reviews to secure a purchase.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I felt with Daemon X Machina the way I do about all mech games really in that normal controllers just don't feel purpose built for what what they're trying to achieve. I know you can customise the controls but it just felt fiddly and awkward. Also the art style they've chosen means it's often hard to make out enemies against the background and I spend far too much time just trying to locate and identify threats. I'm not writing it off but it will have to receive glowing reviews to secure a purchase. 

Yeah, I was spending most of my time staring hard at little dots and triangles on the little radar than looking on screen!

How do you give feedback? I'd really like to tell them I couldn't see the enemiies.

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

Has anyone else tried the Trials beta? I had a go at it last night but concluded it probably wont be purchased on Switch for me. While the game itself looks and plays fine, the sub 30 fps made it a lot more difficult to master that needed. I know it's beta and all that, but that framerate was horrible at times. 

This is how I feel about most multi platform games on the Switch.  For me playability on another format overides playing on the bus.

I used I love playing Rocket league on the sofa but I play much better with a bigger screen, better res and smoother gameplay on the pc.  

13 minutes ago, simms said:

This is how I feel about most multi platform games on the Switch.  For me playability on another format overides playing on the bus.

I used I love playing Rocket league on the sofa but I play much better with a bigger screen, better res and smoother gameplay on the pc.  

Think the combination of PC and Switch is ultimately the way forward for me and how I consume games TBH. Loving the Switch because it feels like a pure console and the games are fun on it especially the Nintendo content (Can't wait for Yoshi's Crafted World!). The PC can do the more technical games I enjoy and with Steam link I can play on the big lounge TV if I want to. I think I am starting to realise the true merits of the Switch over the past few months... I don't have to dedicate an evening to gaming I can just fit it in around my busy life. So I can actually get a bit more gaming done between gaps. :) 

I still have an Xbox One -X and a vanilla PS4 but since I got Game Pass I've probably used the PC more to play games on. (FH4 and now Crackdown 3). Although TBH not sure how much use either will get now... I've even been spending more time on my Wii* than these consoles.

Nintendo just seem to tick the right boxes for me - played the demo of Yoshi the other day and I was completely captivated didn't know where the time went and thoroughly enjoyed myself which is what gaming should be about in the end.

Needless to say I have just put a pre-order in for Yoshi. In the end I went physical and bought from Nintendo's official online shop. Oh I get a Yoshi keyring with it! :D 

Did consider digital for convenience but alas think I just wanted a physical cart in the end. Wasn't even cheaper to me its worth the asking price. I will get a lot of fun out of this.... 

* Wii Fit+ (Yoga), New Super Mario Bros - love it.... 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, simms said:

The main issue for me is performance. I'm willing to give up graphical fidelity in most cases to own on Switch and be able to take it with me if I want to, but I don't want to put up with a worse framerate. You're also often paying more on Switch, frustratingly.

In a few rarer cases I wouldn't even mind buying twice but very few games have cross save functionality.

Fortnite is fantastic in this regard but it being F2P helps get around some of the barriers.

45 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The main issue for me is performance. I'm willing to give up graphical fidelity in most cases to own on Switch and be able to take it with me if I want to, but I don't want to put up with a worse framerate. You're also often paying more on Switch, frustratingly.

In a few rarer cases I wouldn't even mind buying twice but very few games have cross save functionality.

Fortnite is fantastic in this regard but it being F2P helps get around some of the barriers.

I think this is the thing with the switch-  just buy games that play to its strengths.If you do buy a game that is available on other formats don't compare it. Treat it as a separate entity... Or just don't buy it on the Switch and play elsewhere where it meets expectation.

The fact that many games appear on the Switch amazes me that it is even possible to get them running given the fairly limited hardware (in comparison to a PC or MS/Sony boxes).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I think this is the thing with the switch-  just buy games that play to its strengths.If you do buy a game that is available on offer formats don't compare it. Treat it as a separate entity... Or just don't buy it on the Switch and play elsewhere where it meet expectation.

The fact that many games appear on the Switch amazes me that it is even possible to get them running given the fairly limited hardware (in comparison to a PC or MS/Sony boxes).

The problem is the games which have awful performance issues aren't always the ones you would think. Stuff like Mr Shifty looks like it would be well suited to the platform but runs really poorly. It's not the only 2D indie game that has this issue, either.

Could be GameMaker based. GameMaker was ported to Switch in a hurry, because a lot of indies depend on it and its devs were blind-sided by the Switch's success. Depending upon the porting process it might have thrown a spanner in some of the works. (Downwell runs like a dream, but I guess you'd have to do crazy stuff to make that game tax any engine.)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The problem is the games which have awful performance issues aren't always the ones you would think. Stuff like Mr Shifty looks like it would be well suited to the platform but runs really poorly. It's not the only 2D indie game that has this issue, either.

Ah OK. Guessing that will be down to engine optimisation... I think the days are pretty much gone where third party developers write specific engines for consoles and rely on 3rd party engines and tooling. Of course most of the tooling available will be geared towards PC/PS4/XBox One. Unless the developer takes care in the conversion and does write Switch specific tools to get the best out of the hardware. Probably explains why Ninty first party content is buttery smooth and some third party content not so good.

Think there are exceptions though... wasn't Doom pretty impressive on the Switch? So it can be done with the will and investment...

40 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Wasnt Mr Shifty patched?

Just subbed to Nintendo Online for 3 months to see what its like... Tetris 99 was the hook although like the idea of playing some classic NES titles too....

9 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Downwell runs like a dream, but I guess you'd have to do crazy stuff to make that game tax any engine.

Um, not when things get busy it doesn't. My first time playing it has been the Switch port, and while the game itself is fantastic, I literally asked out loud "How does THIS have performance issues?" when the slowdown kicked in.

8 hours ago, Kauwiks said:

Um, not when things get busy it doesn't. My first time playing it has been the Switch port, and while the game itself is fantastic, I literally asked out loud "How does THIS have performance issues?" when the slowdown kicked in.

Then the GameMaker curse it is...