Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

What are the options on the Switch? Well other than Mario Kart 8... 

FAST RMX  is actually pretty good. Gear.Club is not that good. It seems really promising on paper and has a lot of features but the handling is awful. I have heard that the sequel is pretty similar.

I'm pretty bummed about Xenon, I was looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, El Stevo said:

FAST RMX  is actually pretty good. Gear.Club is not that good. It seems really promising on paper and has a lot of features but the handling is awful. I have heard that the sequel is pretty similar.

I'm pretty bummed about Xenon, I was looking forward to it.

Really? It lost me at the higher speeds - Unlike Wipeout I never felt like I was really reacting, just bouncing off the sides and hitting boosts by chance rather than as planned. 

Maybe im just shit. But the handling never really grabbed me. Wanted to like it but left feeling cold. Also really nasty rubber banding. 

Has this been mentioned yet?

Eurogamer has posted an article saying that "sources close to Nintendo" have confirmed to them the same rumour regarding two new Switch iterations this summer that the Wall Street Journal leaked yesterday:

several people familiar with Nintendo's current plans have told me the company has designed its budget Switch for an audience which uses it in handheld mode only.

As for the new souped-up Switch, the one for "avid videogamers", yesterday's report mentioned it would not be getting beefed up to the specs of either the PlayStation 4 Pro or Xbox One X - which shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I've heard the bump will be comparable to the one received by the 3DS upon its New 3DS relaunch. And, finally, there's no suggestion this model might remove the TV screen docking.

Could all be bollocks, although Eurogamer aren't especially known for posting click-baiting rubbish, particularly in relation to some other gaming sites, and the WSJ is pretty credible, as sources go.

I'm thinking 'Switch Lite' and 'Switch S' for the branding, or maybe 'Switch DX', seeing as we've had Mario Kart 8 'Deluxe' and Super Mario Brothers U 'Deluxe' as well. Or maybe even "Switch XL", if it's bigger.

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

Really? It lost me at the higher speeds - Unlike Wipeout I never felt like I was really reacting, just bouncing off the sides and hitting boosts by chance rather than as planned. 

Maybe im just shit. But the handling never really grabbed me. Wanted to like it but left feeling cold. Also really nasty rubber banding. 

My standards are not very high to be sure but I did enjoy my time with it.

57 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Eurogamer has posted an article saying that "sources close to Nintendo" have confirmed to them the same rumour regarding two new Switch iterations this summer that the Wall Street Journal leaked yesterday:

Could all be bollocks, although Eurogamer aren't especially known for posting click-baiting rubbish, particularly in relation to some other gaming sites, and the WSJ is pretty credible, as sources go.

I'm thinking 'Switch Lite' and 'Switch S' for the branding, or maybe 'Switch DX', seeing as we've had Mario Kart 8 'Deluxe' and Super Mario Brothers U 'Deluxe' as well. Or maybe even "Switch XL", if it's bigger.

Knowing Nintendo it will be a cost reduced version of the Switch and maybe one with a bigger screen.... They won't tweak the format too much. But then this is Nintendo and they do throw curveballs in now and again. The Switch itself is a prime example! :) 

A higher power switch could be something simple like a die shrunk X1 with its clocks increased. Homebrew emulators already allow you to access the higher CPU clock speeds of the x1 and they have little noticeable impact on battery life and a marginal impact on heat. 

6 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think that is the problem though. Its probably too good so nobody can be bothered to challenge it. Bit like when Mario 64 came out on the N64 with respect to platformers.

What?

Devs were absolutely pissing out 3D platformers after Mario 64.

10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

SSSV was a puzzle game not a platformer. It was cracking. Would love a modern update of it.

Same. It was great.

But that baby is a platformer (which had puzzles).

wikipedia:

Space Station Silicon Valley is a platform video game developed by DMA Design and published by Take-Two Interactive. It was originally released for the Nintendo 64 in October 1998.

What am I doing with my life.

59 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Nah

Off the top of my head there was:

Banjo Kazooie

DK64

Glover

Croc

Rayman

Space Station Silicon Valley

I’m sure a google will reveal more.

Sure, but the PS1 has WAAAAY more than that. Several Gex games. several Crash games, Croc 1&2, Glover, Rayman,  Spyro, Rascal, Lilo & Stitch, Bug's Life, Pac-Man World, Jersey Devil... no end of film licenced crap the N64 never got.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

Sure, but the PS1 has WAAAAY more than that. Several Gex games. several Crash games, Croc 1&2, Glover, Rayman,  Spyro, Rascal, Lilo & Stitch, Bug's Life, Pac-Man World, Jersey Devil... no end of film licenced crap the N64 never got.

PS1 had way more of everything. But the initial comment was that everyone gave up making 3D platformers after SM64 because it was so good. When in reality it spawned loads of them. 

14 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Wow, Eurogamer in 'previously mentioned nothing but suddenly have of course heard the same from their own sources as soon as somebody else says something' shocker. Those guys!

I, personally, just can't see a handheld-only option coming - it would entirely defeat the idea of 'Switch'. It would be a Switch that you can't switch. Maybe a version that comes without a dock in the box to save costs, but it'll have the ability to dock if you pick one up still. I know they did it with the 3DS/2DS thing, but it's just not the same to me, removing the 3D was because it wasn't recommended to young kids primarily.

This is "My Uncle, who works at Nintendo..." in overdrive.

I'd love a stereoscopic Switch with a 3DS cart slot/ability to play 3DS games from the SD card. The Nintendo 3DSwitch, if you will. It'll never happen, but I do miss the actual 3D in my 3D games.

To me, the removable joycons are much more fundamental than the big telly connectivity when it comes to the switch. There’s no games you can’t play by not connecting to the telly: there’s loads of games you can’t play if you can’t remove joycons. 

20 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hence: there won’t be fixed controls. Joycons are fundamental to the switch

Yep. Also a big money spinner for them. I can see them making the bundled joycons cheaper by removing the rumble though.