rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

19 minutes ago, Capwn said:

No I just have several devices in my tv area socket. Also waste of electric to have EVERYTHING on standby

Not a total waste - as it'll install updates to firmware, software etc for you in sleep mode - so you're ready to go next time you do pick it up as well. Rather than waiting for it to charge, and then waiting for it to update, and then waiting for the game to update...

I can't fathom how anyone doesn't touch their Switch for weeks/months anyway, there is an absolute deluge of stuff right now. I can't get even close to being on top of it - and then last night Nintendo piled some free stuff on as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I can't fathom how anyone doesn't touch their Switch for weeks/months anyway, there is an absolute deluge of stuff right now. I can't get even close to being on top of it - and then last night Nintendo piled some free stuff on as well.

It's honestly like the wii units for me. I'll get it out when a new mario/zelda comes out and that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

It's honestly like the wii units for me. I'll get it out when a new mario/zelda comes out and that's about it.

Ah well at least you know now when the next new Mario & Zelda are out, so at least you can plan ahead.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Capwn said:

Your choice man, but I think for most people the notion that there is 'nothing worthwhile but Nintendo games' on Switch went out of the window some time back. There's plenty of stuff.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Not a total waste - as it'll install updates to firmware, software etc for you in sleep mode - so you're ready to go next time you do pick it up as well. Rather than waiting for it to charge, and then waiting for it to update, and then waiting for the game to update...

Baffles me too.

4A7CB3F2-DF05-4B9E-96B6-3E4DA036EB58.thumb.jpeg.9b581c5b279effd7c405c58c88706835.jpeg

I've got a PS4 though? 90% of the indie games are on that. The only ones I purchased for switch specifically are golf story, that Yookoo pinball game and Gris

33 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I've got a PS4 though? 90% of the indie games are on that. The only ones I purchased for switch specifically are golf story, that Yookoo pinball game and Gris

I have a PS4 too. Indie games all go on the Switch.

Guys, I don't believe in using stand-by mode for reasons but it's crucial that my device will turn on instantly after being left unplugged for months.  Nintendo need to get onto this immediately - top priority.

• Upvote 9

It does, doesn’t it? I mean, plug it in and use it powered immediately?

Not like the Vita which needs an hour’s charge first.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

It does, doesn’t it? I mean, plug it in and use it powered immediately?

Not like the Vita which needs an hour’s charge first.

Nah, it takes a few minutes. It needs a little bit before it'll power on.

Even when mine is left in the dock unused for weeks I'll come back to it and it's at 0%. Does anyone else's do that?

On 13/02/2019 at 18:02, Capwn said:

I remember coming in here a few times and moaning about the Switch's power method and got negged. Here we are again, not played it since xmas and now trying to turn it on to try Tetris. Does it come on? nope. 20mins have passed now and it's still not recharged. I cannot stress how mental this is, it really needs to be the no1 priority with Switch 2. It really shouldn't be more than 1 minute.

Do you turn it off when not in use for extended periods? If it's off, I'm not sure how it's drawing power.

17 hours ago, Naieve said:

Dunno, powering something you aren't going to use for months is a bit pointless, think of the polar bears. When I got my switch back from my sister's kids I was definitely surprised at how long it took to turn on after starting it charging, compared to a phone, laptop, ipad etc. Definitely long enough to prompt me to google if it was fucked or not.

The Switch in sleep mode in the dock fully charged uses less than 1W of power.

Even when charging in the dock, the Switch's max power consumption is 18W.

To put that into perspective, a PS4 Pro uses up to 300W of power - with 200W regular usage in a game like Red Dead 2. In sleep mode the PS4 uses 10W of power, 70W when downloading an update - almost 4x more than a Switch's max power consumption!

The conclusion is that if you really care about the polar bears, bin the PS4 and go Switch only ;)

• Upvote 2

Also, @Capwn why on earth would you buy indies on the PS4 when you can buy them on the Switch and play them on the commute/plane journeys etc?

Doesn't make sense, unless you never game outside the house I guess.

• Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Also, @Capwn why on earth would you buy indies on the PS4 when you can buy them on the Switch and play them on the commute/plane journeys etc?

Doesn't make sense, unless you never game outside the house I guess.

Yeah just not my lifestyle, takes me 80 seconds to walk to work and there are no trains here. I hardly ever commute. If an Indie is available on both I go with PS4, if I had to be brutally honest it's the trophies, I have this competition thing going on with my sister. We've been neck to neck for several years now. There is also the fact that I prefer the PS4 controller (I have a Switch PRO controller, I've NEVER used those small side controllers) and I'm convinced that the PS4 version is going to look the best and be the least likely to have frame rate drops.

• Upvote 3

O1CN01KErbSx251vue8ed9b_!!411747467.jpg_400x400.jpg.f5ab3c0bd475f24acc6d7f0193b57dc7.jpg

Tempted to try these third-party Joy Cons that are on Taobao now. They're pretty cheap and might solve the problem of the Hori d-pad controller not working with the Flip Grip. Might be complete shit as well, mind, but I'm curious.

They also look a bit wider for some reason.

I'VE-NOW-ACTUALLY-READ-THE-PRODUCT-DESCRIPTION-PROPERLY-EDIT: No NFC, no HD rumble, have to charge them separately using USB cables, won't fit into the Joy Con grip (might kill off my Flip Grip hopes),  can't wake up the console.

Bah.

Nintendo apparently resurrecting a previously cancelled game - according the senior editor of Game Informer:

“Let me hint at something, I guess. This is a thing that I’m going to write up at some point as soon as I get some more sources on it. But there’s a game that’s thought to be dead that Nintendo’s reviving, and it’s not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled.”

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Switch game I can play with my (almost) 7-year old daughter? She's not very familiar with games and not especially well coordinated, so something with relatively simple controls would be good. I'm looking for a co-op game we can work through together. I have Overcooked 2 which is great in lots of ways, but I think something less hectic would be ideal.

I also wondered about old school point & click adventure games, but both Thrimbledweed and Grim Fandango look like they are probably a bit mature. Shame Monkey Island isn't on Switch - think that would have been great. 

Snipperclips might be perfect. Can get a bit tricky later on but it's common that one player can do the mechanically more challenging stuff if the other keeps it simple and follows a plan. 

12 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Switch game I can play with my (almost) 7-year old daughter? She's not very familiar with games and not especially well coordinated, so something with relatively simple controls would be good. I'm looking for a co-op game we can work through together. I have Overcooked 2 which is great in lots of ways, but I think something less hectic would be ideal.

Kirby Star Allies? 

And don't underestimate your kids. I gave my son Super Mario Odyssey after he justed turned 7. Little tyke found more secrets than I ever thought he would, and became suprisingly good at it after just a few days of playing.

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Kirby Star Allies? 

And don't underestimate your kids. I gave my son Super Mario Odyssey after he justed turned 7. Little tyke found more secrets than I ever thought he would, and became suprisingly good at it after just a few days of playing.

I'll take a look, thanks. I think I need to build up her skills before trying something like a 3D Mario though - I downloaded the Captain Toad demo for her yesterday... beyond painful!

I play with my 4 and 6 year olds.

Mario Kart is perfect, as there's a really good autopilot mode you can put them on that basically keeps them on the road at all times.

Guacamelee is good as you can 'pull' player 2 along as you progress with difficult jumps etc. My kids loved being involved in the fighting bits. It's also got bright colours and sounds which engaged them.

Mario Party is good too, both mine can play about 75% of the minigames without any real help. It's also really cute and they love the board game idea.