rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Just now, deKay said:

We never did get the rumoured January Direct.

Well not that means anything but the source for this rumour also stated it was unlikely there would be one in January. He said one of the announcements would be Mario Maker 2, too.

I genuinely don't understand the thinking behind keeping people guessing and making people question if they have much in development. That first year, aside from the obvious, was so good because they published a road map of what they had in development, when they would be talking more and when things would be released. I understand that last year was a transition and was pretty port and indie heavy (no complaints from me) but the communication completely dropped off a cliff. This year, absolutely nothing aside from a very brief indie showcase.

I'm not necessarily saying they should do something completely different for Nintendo, but given how successful and reassuring and transparent their year one communication was, what do they have to gain from this more secretive reticent approach?

I know this reads as a whinge but...well, it obviously is, but I said similar this time last year and I think I was right about it then, too. 

I honestly believe it should have been Metroid Prime Trilogy in Feb following an announcement in Dec but with the decision to cancel MP4 meaning they had to change their plans, putting back the Jan Direct. I mean it's just odd we have that one isolated release date for Yoshi at the end of March and nothing else. Let's see what happens next week! 

Fingers crossed.

In pleasant surprising news, I woke up to find I bought BlazBlue Central Fiction last night after a few drinks. I mean, literally, a glass of wine and two pints. Totally forgot about it. I got plenty out of Cross Tag Battle and this looks to be the same but better. 

• Upvote 6

A few days ago, I came accross an indie game that's being released on the Switch later this year, but I forgot its name. It looked like 4 balloon characters trying to push each other into spikes. It used pixel art. That's all I remember.

Anyone know which game I'm talking about?

Nintendo are making a big mistake on a new Metroid prime. The only people who want that shit are internet geeks.

They could make a new Fzero, Wave Race and Star Fox for the same cost as another copy pasta Metroid Prime. They’ve made 3 poorly selling iterations already!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11
  • Empathy 2

5 hours ago, probotector said:

Nintendo are making a big mistake on a new Metroid prime. The only people who want that shit are internet geeks.

2 hours ago, Nequests said:

Always funny when some dickhead starts moaning about 'internet geeks', whilst posting on a video game forum. We're all geeks, mate. Get over yourself.

I can’t see any ‘moaning’ about ‘internet geeks’ and certainly nothing to trigger your extremely overly defensive reply Nequests. 

I think your reply probably betrays your own feelings about ‘internet geeks’ way more than anything probotector wrote. 

• Upvote 1

They could make a new Fzero, Wave Race and Star Fox for the same cost as another copy pasta Metroid Prime. They’ve made 3 poorly selling iterations already!

I think almost everyone is an internet geek these days and there are certainly more people out there who are also video game geeks. But how many of them have been playing games long enough to have played the originals?  I am 36 and have been playing video games since kickstart and Chuckie egg on my Acorn Electron and I've never had the opportunity to play a Metroid Prime game properly - I would welcome a remaster and there are likely many more who would too. 

If you didn’t play the other 3 over 2 console generations, why are you suddenly going to play the 4th?

The first was the best and that was nothing special, the others were pretty much expansion packs.

They should just make a 2d switch game 

11 minutes ago, probotector said:

If you didn’t play the other 3 over 2 console generations, why are you suddenly going to play the 4th?

The first was the best and that was nothing special, the others were pretty much expansion packs.

They should just make a 2d switch game 

Like all those people who played God of War on the PS4 after the other 4 games over the PS2 and PS3? 

And the first Metroid Prime was amazing. It's easily up there with the greats. Both 2 and 3 aren't as good, but to call them 'expansion packs' is ridiculous. 

And yes, they should make a 2D Switch game. 

• Upvote 4

Nintendo have a tenancy to listen to the US IGN audience a bit too much.

I can’t see this being a big seller compared to the cost, they’ve already cancelled one build of it and brought it in-house to retro, who could be making something more widely popular like another DK or other property.

If only. If only. :(

ive been waiting for the SNES follow up since 1996. 

Ironically it was the PSone that has come closest to the greatness of that console. Imagine an N64 with that level of 3rd party support, with Nintendo firing off on all cyclinders.

Wii was the closest they had, and they fucked it up.

But I have great hopes for Switch once it is fired up and the Nvidea tech means the follow up won’t have the issues of past Nintendo consoles of starting from square 1 with 3rd party support.

56 minutes ago, probotector said:

Nintendo have a tenancy to listen to the US IGN audience a bit too much.

What does this even mean? IGN are their landlords?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, probotector said:

You do realise, ironically, you are turning into turbo troll @kirby who is no longer with us having been perma banned?

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, probotector said:

This is such an idiotic way to think.

"If you didn't play the other Zelda games why would you play BotW?!"

"If you didn't play the other Mario games why would you play Odyssey?!"

"If you didn't play the other Mario Kart games why would you play MK8D?!"

"If you didn't play the other Pokemon games why would you play Let's Go?!"

"If you didn't play the other Smash games why would you play Ultimate?!"

This generation Nintendo have proven that they can make new entries into existing series that by far outperform previous entries and reach a far bigger audience.

If ever there was a time for Nintendo to give "under performers" another shot, this is it.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

brought it in-house to retro, who could be making something more widely popular like another DK or other property.

We still don't know what they've been working on for the past few years, it's highly unlikely they've been sat doing nothing waiting for Nintendo to give them Metroid back.

• Upvote 5

I agree with you but the difference Prime and your examples is that the 3 prime games are pretty much the same game with different levels. Retro pumped them out yearly from what I remember and ran it into the ground. We don’t need another prime game.

If anything we need a premium 2D Metroid game to show all the Metroid clones how it’s done.

I’m really hard on Nintendo because I love Nintendo, I’m a Nintendo gamer first but they’ve punished me for years and I’m fed up of being trolled.

With the Switch, they finally have a console and situation where they can please us all, but if we settle for mediocrity, then Nintendo will never push themselves.

I find it funny we used to have a troll called Kirby considering how much I hate the character and it’s disproportionate influence on Nintendo.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, probotector said:

I agree with you but the difference Prime and your examples is that the 3 prime games are pretty much the same game with different levels. Retro pumped them out yearly from what I remember and ran it into the ground. We don’t need another prime game.

If anything we need a premium 2D Metroid game to show all the Metroid clones how it’s done.

I’m really hard on Nintendo because I love Nintendo, I’m a Nintendo gamer first but they’ve punished me for years and I’m fed up of being trolled.

With the Switch, they finally have a console and situation where they can please us all, but if we settle for mediocrity, then Nintendo will never push themselves.

I find it funny we used to have a troll called Kirby considering how much I hate the character and it’s disproportionate influence on Nintendo.

We all love Nintendo, we're all aware of their foibles, you're not more enlightened than the rest of us. I think that you think your tough love stance makes you some kind of militant, but it makes you sound like the very "geeks" you're describing, pining after their long lost franchise. Also the longer you live up to this persona you've created for yourself the more difficult it is to engage with you without a nod or a wink and the understanding that it's only a joke.

tldr; you need to rein it in a bit.

• Upvote 4

The first was the best and that was nothing special

Top-level trolling. Superb.

• Upvote 2

We just had a solid year full of Metroidvanias. Give them some time to make a good game.

There will be hell to pay if turns into Federation Force 2.

• Upvote 2