rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Just now, Stanley said:

They said it during the Switch's launch period when the service was initially due to start in late 2017. 

Are you sure, I only ever remember them saying NES. I don't recall any official word on SNES at all.

Just now, rgraves said:

Are you sure, I only ever remember them saying NES. I don't recall any official word on SNES at all.

Well maybe I'm misremembering but I'm fairly certain they did, and tbh it's something they need to address - NES games are fine, but the SNES has a much better library. I could understand it if we were able to purchase them some other way but there's just nothing. I would imagine they'd get far more subs just by adding in SNES games, which is the whole point - enticing people to subscribe.

I know it's Wikipedia, but here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_Online

In January 2017, prior to the release of the Nintendo Switch console in March, it was stated that online features such as multiplayer would eventually require purchase of a paid "online service", but that they would be available to all users at no charge until the service launched. Features announced included a companion smartphone app, as well as access to a free Nintendo Entertainment System or Super Nintendo Entertainment System game per-month. The service was initially planned for late 2017

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well maybe I'm misremembering

Maybe ;)

I mean, I think we all know they are going to come at some point - but they've never officially said they are, so they can't be beaten up over it yet. I'd guess adding SNES games to the library is something they'll hold for when they need a momentum boost - either to overall sales or to online sub sales. Given both are OK right now (hardware certainly, subs are over 8 million apparently so they seem to be off to a good start as well), it's not hard to fathom why we've not yet seen what they've not yet said is coming.

It's frustrating for us, but it's not hard to see reasons for them not yet blowing their load when it's all going so well anyway. Maybe during the summer....

• Upvote 1

I do think there are gaps in their schedule considering they initially forecasted 20 million Switchs sold by the end of this FY and yet the only game we know about is Yoshi which arrives right at the end of that period.

55 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

They never said SNES games tho

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Maybe ;)

I mean, I think we all know they are going to come at some point - but they've never officially said they are, so they can't be beaten up over it yet. I'd guess adding SNES games to the library is something they'll hold for when they need a momentum boost - either to overall sales or to online sub sales. Given both are OK right now (hardware certainly, subs are over 8 million apparently so they seem to be off to a good start as well), it's not hard to fathom why we've not yet seen what they've not yet said is coming.

It's frustrating for us, but it's not hard to see reasons for them not yet blowing their load when it's all going so well anyway. Maybe during the summer....

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

They've never said anything about Snes games coming.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

I think Stanley is right.  It was when they first announced everything in Jan 2017:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/13/14261018/nintendo-switch-paid-online-subscription-service-membership

“Users will be able to try out Nintendo Switch online services for free during a trial period after launch,” Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima said onstage. “Then it will become a paid service beginning in the fall of 2017. We will provide additional details on this paid service and its features on our home page at a later date.”

Nintendo clarified after its press conference that the online service will give members a free game NES/SNES download per month, similar to the perks offered by Sony and Microsoft with PSN and Xbox Live. There will also be planned discounts and other software deals to make being a member more appealing. However, the company did not disclose pricing. But PSN and Xbox Live memberships both cost $60 a year, so we can expect something likely similar for Nintendo’s new online offering.

Time reported it as well - http://time.com/4634346/nintendo-switch-online-subscription-mulitplayer-2017/

Nintendo is launching a new online service that will be available for its Switch console debuting this March, the company announced during a press conference on Jan. 12. The service will be required to access online multiplayer mode for most games, according to Nintendo’s website.

In addition to online multiplayer gaming, the service will give Switch owners access to a companion smartphone app, which lets players invite friends to online games, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online games. That’s a departure from rival services, which include these features baked into the console experience.

The subscription will also bring some perks, such as a free monthly game download from the company’s NES and SNES retro games catalog. Nintendo’s website says players will be able to play these titles “for free for a month,” leaving it unclear as to whether or not the game will expire after that time period is up. Other deals are also included, like potential discounts on certain games and other digital content.

Like most things with Nintendo, they were never very clear.  For a while it looked like titles would appear for a month and then disappear. If they have an internal plan they haven't communicated at it all, the cynic in me suggests they do not have a particularly clear cut vision for their online service apart from needing to do something... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I do think there are gaps in their schedule considering they initially forecasted 20 million Switchs sold by the end of this FY and yet the only game we know about is Yoshi which arrives right at the end of that period.

And Fire Emblem

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

And Fire Emblem

No date yet as far as I know, just 'spring'.

An 'out there' guess is that they originally planned ro show the first trailer for Prime 4 during the Game Awards and announce MP Trilogy for an imminent release (which rumours suggest is finished and waiting) then they would have had Mario (Jan) MP (Feb) and Yoshi (Mar).

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

This is easily explainable by the success of Wii Music Nintendo Labo, that game's failure to launch is what will cause the shortfall in their forecasting, not gaps in their game schedule.

In the words of the man himself:

“We didn’t work hard enough to convince customers of the Switch’s appeal,” Chief Executive Shuntaro Furukawa said at an earnings briefing.

On 06/02/2019 at 08:20, The Mighty Ash said:

Super Mario Bros 2 and Kirbys adventure are the nes games coming on 13th Feb. 

The best Mario game :wub:

That’s Valentine’s Day sorted. :(

• Empathy 1

Been wanting a Switch for a few months now, but can't believe how much a second hand/faulty (so that I can buy parts and build it back up) Switch is on eBay/refurb websites. RRP is c. £250, but a refurb unit is £210, and broken Switches with all accessories go for £150-200 on eBay from the ones I've seen. 

Seriously impressive for a console that is two years old!

Probably because repairs are so expensive. You might have better luck buying the components you need separately. You can get most of them from China, very cheaply.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:13, deKay said:

Good eShop games on sale!

World of Goo (£6.29)

Slime-san (£5)

Pool Panic (£3.73)

West of Loathing (£6.93)

Rogue Aces (£3.80)

The Way Remastered is just 83p - gotta be worth a punt at that, right?

The Way Remastered is excellent - well worth 83p of anyones money - Thanks DeKay!

Nintendo on having the Switch and the 3DS coexist; wanting multiple Switch units on households:

Furukawa: "While the Nintendo 3DS market has contracted faster than we anticipated, currently many of consumers who newly purchase Nintendo 3DS are consumers purchasing Nintendo 3DS as their first game system. Nintendo 3DS is appealing as a portable game system, that is easy to carry around since it is small and light, and at a very desirable price point. Demand still remains from parents looking to purchase a first game system for their children. That is why our basic policy is to proceed with both Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS in our dedicated video game platform business.

Regarding future sales of Nintendo Switch, what we first need is to drive sales of one system per household, and we will work towards increasing demand to expand the installed base much further than now. On the other hand, in a survey of households asking how many family members use Nintendo Switch, we found that, while a certain number of households have multiple family members who play on a single console, some households have already purchased multiple consoles. Going forward, we aim to generate such demand among consumers as they feel like “I want to have my own Nintendo Switch console” through measures such as software offerings, not necessarily so that each person will have one, but so that each household will have multiple Nintendo Switch consoles."

"... so that each household will have multiple Nintendo Switch consoles."

:o  :o

Not at this price, Nintendo. Not at this price.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Got to be. No way people will be buying several £300 identical consoles.

We have three of them in our house :unsure:

I got my Switch a couple of months after release, my kids spent their savings on theirs. 

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

Rumours about Nintendo Direct coming 13th Feb.

We never did get the rumoured January Direct.