rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I am now actively looking for Switch deals as defo getting one (for the familiy....).

Strewth they aren't exactly cheap are they....

Once you add anything of nte you're well over 300 quid - oof.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

ISG will certainly get my business. THey make good games. 

This is a complete remake of their IOS game Fruitorious. Which I liked but didn't get along with due to the touch controls. Pad support should fix that though.

Random question.. I pulled the thumb pad off one of my joycons. Is there anyway to get it back on flat? It’s got lots of little raised bits of rubber on the underside and tiny little slots for them to all slot into, but it’s impossible to line up. So my thumb pad is lumpy :hmm:

42 minutes ago, deKay said:

Siliconera reporting Nintendo are planning a new Switch this year despite Nintendo saying they weren’t only last week: https://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/31/nintendo-rumored-to-be-planning-a-smaller-switch-console-with-a-focus-on-portability/

They'll have to come up with some seriously value added stuff to charge more for their online, not to mention getting the current version up to scratch.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Popo said:

Regarding Switch as a tablet - it’s not even 1080p resolution, it wouldn’t be a great experience for watching Netflix surely?

YouTube on the Switch has replaced viewing stuff on the phone for me. I also play several games using just the screen (puzzlers and music titles), Switch is fine as a tablet, even if it's not the focus 

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They'll have to come up with some seriously value added stuff to charge more for their online, not to mention getting the current version up to scratch.

Or it’s just made up bollocks.

• Upvote 4

So how do people feel about the Switch Mini that's being rumoured at the moment?

I don't think it's something I'd be interested in but if you look at it from Nintendo's POV it makes sense in that it appeals to handheld only customers, younger players, families etc. They've also halved their 3DS hardware sales target so clearly they need to fill that gap with a cheaper more family focussed product of some kind.

Also if you look at the software they've got planned this year, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, traditional Pokemon RPG, Dragon Quest XI, even Luigi's Mansion - this is software that does well on Nintendo handhelds so it certainly ties in with those plans.

My main concern would be the screen size, everything functions on Switch as it should in handheld mode but I can't help thinking some games will really suffer; people already complain text and menus are too small in some games, and the likes of Zelda or Mario will lose quite a bit of depth and clarity, so it depends I guess on just how much smaller they can make it in order to focus more heavily on portability at the expense of fidelity.

I dunno, as an entry level Nintendo console for kids it makes more sense, but for me I'd rather they went the other way and did the Switch Pro which has also been rumoured. I'll probably end up buying both :rolleyes:

Will we see a sub £200 Switch Mini to launch with Pokemon and Animal Crossing by next Christmas?

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Or it’s just made up bollocks.

Depends, I noticed there are no details about how the current service is performing (install base).

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

So how do people feel about the Switch Mini that's being rumoured at the moment?

I feel it’s nonsense but I’d buy one.

• Upvote 1

Downwell is a game I've never bothered to play anywhere else and I probably wouldn't bother playing it on the telly but in handheld, with or without the FlipGrip, it's a little banger. The price is a joke, as well. Virtually free. I'd have paid a tenner for it but got it for 3p on the Botswanan eShop. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

Downwell is a game I've never bothered to play anywhere else and I probably wouldn't bother playing it on the telly but in handheld, with or without the FlipGrip, it's a little banger. The price is a joke, as well. Virtually free. I'd have paid a tenner for it but got it for 3p on the Botswanan eShop. 

Oh it's out? I love Downwell, was very much a Vita favourite for me.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

I feel it’s nonsense but I’d buy one.

I think we'll see something this year in order to bring the price down, even if it's just a Switch sans dock, but would that be enough? 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

I think we'll see something this year in order to bring the price down, even if it's just a Switch sans dock, but would that be enough? 

Why do they need to bring the price down? In terms of monthly sales they’re the market leader.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

Why do they need to bring the price down? In terms of monthly sales they’re the market leader.

Shareholder value. They've just cut their forecast from 20m this year to 17m, and 3DS from 4m to 2m and shares dropped 5%, so whilst they're doing well investors always ecpect more and they will point to the drop off in the previously healthy 3DS market, with norhing to replace it in that price bracket.

21 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

It is indeed brilliant.

How do you pay for stuff using the Botswanan eshop? Do you have Botswanan credit?

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Shareholder value. They've just cut their forecast from 20m this year to 17m, and 3DS from 4m to 2m and shares dropped 5%, so whilst they're doing well investors always ecpect more and they will point to the drop off in the previously healthy 3DS market, with norhing to replace it in that price bracket.

Exactly. They'll just do what they did with the 3ds, have a normal one and a cheaper, smaller one. The interesting thing about the smaller one is firstly they will likely have a die shrunk Tegra X1 as this would help with using a smaller battery size and keeping battery life about the same as the current switch. Also if you're going smaller then they might try to go passively cooled with no fan. It would be pretty amazing if they can do that.

Interestingly recent home brews on the switch have allow it to use higher speeds on the CPU and shown that with a mild overclock of around 250mhz the switch uses virtually the same amount of power and generates very little, if any, extra heat. Even a clock up by 500mhz is pretty easy on the machine. Very strange why nintendo would no allow this to happen.  

8 hours ago, deKay said:

Good eShop games on sale!

World of Goo (£6.29)

Slime-san (£5)

Pool Panic (£3.73)

West of Loathing (£6.93)

Rogue Aces (£3.80)

The Way Remastered is just 83p - gotta be worth a punt at that, right?

If I didn't already have all of the games to play I'd be sorely tempted by most of those. Including the games I already own on other platforms.

8 hours ago, therearerules said:

How many times are you going to be burnt by this way of thinking?

8 hours ago, deKay said:

I thought the consensus was it was pretty good though? Not fantastic, but decent enough?

Yeah, that's my take on the game. It's a perfectly decent riff on Another World. Doesn't live up to the game its aping, but nice enough. Certainly 83p nice.

I think the Switch is portable enough as it is. More to the point, Nintendo have just released a series of ads which focus on the benefits of exactly how portable it is, so that article sounds like bull to me.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Playafrica codes. 

Is that a website, like Playasia?  Did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything. Could I trouble you for a link? I'm guessing you just change your region, like on the US eshop?

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Is that a website, like Playasia?  Did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything. Could I trouble you for a link? I'm guessing you just change your region, like on the US eshop?

Cranking+the+soldier_b65eb1_4903290.gif

• Upvote 1