rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Yeah but you didn't need the original GC disc to download and play it, right? Surely if it's in the store it's been released on that system.

It's a port, sure, but it's a port that's been released.

12 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Everyone has done that this year with the barrage of WiiU ports. 

I realise you're only being facetious but it's not the same thing. 

I mean Orange Box and Splinter Cell Backlist on Xbox aren't considered ports, and, say, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is not backwards on Switch, it's a separate release.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

Yeah but you didn't need the original GC disc to download and play it, right? Surely if it's in the store it's been released on that system.

It's a port, sure, but it's a port that's been released.

Would you call Mario 64 a Wii U game then?

1 minute ago, Xevious said:

Would you call Mario 64 a Wii U game then?

I've been playing that new Switch release, Balloon Fight, recently. A right con it's barely even standard definition and I'm sick of that 8 bit retro look now.

In any case, the main point was that @NickC said he regretted not getting a Wii U because he couldn't play Metroid Prime Trilogy.  And he could have played it on the Wii instead.

It doesn't really matter.

Spoiler

It does actually. It really really does. See, this is what happened:

I got Prime 1 & 2 on GC. Loved 1, got stuck on 2 on a bastard boss ('The Cunt' IIRC). Forgot to come back to it. Never bought Prime 3, and regretted that. Wail.

Fast forward a few years, and I wanted to play them all on GC. The urge was strong.

But. TRAGEDY! ANGER! RESENTMENT! The bastard TV connection doesn't fit anymore - I only had an HD TV with HDMI and no scart port! So I couldn't play the fucking amazing trilogy on GC even if I wanted to. And I've never been nerdy enough to figure out the required adaptors to make the GC magic happen again. I know, it doesn't need saying.

So when I saw it released (yes, RELEASED) on Wii U I screamed "Neurghhhh!" because I really really really really wanted to play it, and I technically could have played it, but I didn't fancy forking out to buy a Wii U that was otherwise a bit... umm... rubbish.

Glad that's out now.

I remember on the first GC Metroid game getting very far through then realizing I hadn't been collecting something or doing something which essentially meant complete backtracking. So i gave up. I don't remember the details, but I remember feeling cheated due to a tutorial/guiding failure. 

Does anyone remember what i'm talking about?

4 hours ago, vanronk said:

Does anyone remember what i'm talking about?

I'm struggling to recall any use of backtracking in any Metroid game, ever.

No, no, wait a minute...

Spoiler

;)

8 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

I'm struggling to recall any use of backtracking in any Metroid game, ever.

No, no, wait a minute...

Reveal hidden contents

;)

No no, it was a thing you had to collect from all the areas you'd been to, or something, that because i'd not gone into that room I just hadn't done... I need to work this out

1 minute ago, jimmbob said:

Did you drop bombs everywhere? That's the Metroid dance we all have to do sometimes when we can't figure out where to go. 

NNNGGGGG

The only thing I can think of that you "collect" in every area is scanning enemies and objects. But that's not necessary for progress, it's just lore.

20 minutes ago, vanronk said:

No no, it was a thing you had to collect from all the areas you'd been to, or something, that because i'd not gone into that room I just hadn't done... I need to work this out

Just listen for them.

8 minutes ago, dug said:

The only thing I can think of that you "collect" in every area is scanning enemies and objects. But that's not necessary for progress, it's just lore.

It's bugging me, I even started to read the walk-through on gamefaqs to try and remember. I just recall getting to a point where i'd not scanned enough stuff or done something enough at the end of every area (aside from killing the bosses) that meant I couldn't.. complete the game. Maybe I was doubly confused and it wasn't necessary 

afbeelding.thumb.png.e43a56d7818609205ea7a9fd42a9bc30.png

That's what you're searching for. All twelve pieces. If you're searching around during the levels you'll bump into them. They're not too hard to find.

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

afbeelding.thumb.png.e43a56d7818609205ea7a9fd42a9bc30.png

That's what you're searching for. All twelve pieces. If you're searching around during the levels you'll bump into them. They're not too hard to find.

That's the one! Well I didn't bump into any of them/knew they existed....

Just now, vanronk said:

That's the one! Well I didn't bump into any of them/knew they existed....

Items give off a buzzing noise as well, so if you've got troubles finding them, walk through areas with the BGM turned off. :) You'll pick them up quite quickly.

7 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Items give off a buzzing noise as well, so if you've got troubles finding them, walk through areas with the BGM turned off. :) You'll pick them up quite quickly.

I have my memory card, I might bloody get back into it!

Aside (or maybe this is the answer) from wii+wavebird and original disk, is there a better version of the original MP out there?

Good idea, the boss you fight after you've taken the macguffins to the place they go should serve as a gentle reintroduction to the battle mechanics of the game. ;)

• Upvote 1

Isn’t backtracking to find those bits 100% design intent, though, rather than something you missed?

Some of them need upgrades you only got later to find, from memory. 

I'm trying to arrange some work Mario Kart so I decided to be brave and try my Melopow M001 portable dock. I hadn't plugged it in since firmware 5.0 and general 3rd party dock bricking rumours.

So, it worked fine, still works in handheld mode and still works in the official dock.

*phew*

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Isn’t backtracking to find those bits 100% design intent, though, rather than something you missed?

Some of them need upgrades you only got later to find, from memory. 

Not sure