rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

43 minutes ago, deKay said:

No you don’t.

Actually, it makes sense. If you're treating it now like a mobile PS4/Xbox, then I suppose it would seem like there's "no games". 

13 hours ago, boybrown said:

What the feck is happening with Starlink Battle for Atlas. Can you only get a physical copy with tat and a digital copy with digital tat? I want the game but £65 is taking the piss

It's $60 digital on the US eShop - which I went for as it's a) significantly cheaper and b) unlocks everything the plastic tat would have done - maybe more.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bm said:

It's $60 digital on the US eShop - which I went for as it's a) significantly cheaper and b) unlocks everything the plastic tat would have done - maybe more.

Cheers. It’s still more than I’d like to pay and I’d prefer a physical copy but looks like there’s no chance of that. I’ll have a look on the South African store as well for pricing. Does anyone know when the review embargo is up? 

Looks decent, I'm sure it appeared in some Nindies Direct. I'll definitely be picking it up for my shmup fix.

In other stylised shooting game fun, I'm really looking forward to Black Bird this Thursday.

Throw up a "loading" screen, Team 17 should know better from their Amiga days. That's interesting though Ste, I figured there Switch would just hammer along naturally with solid state storage.

22 hours ago, TehStu said:

Throw up a "loading" screen, Team 17 should know better from their Amiga days. That's interesting though Ste, I figured there Switch would just hammer along naturally with solid state storage.

Not all solid state is created equal though, NVMe or Enterprise solutions are fastest and most expensive, bog standard SSDs are pretty quick, eMMC and SD cards and cheap junk USB memory sticks come in last in the pecking order.

It's the same confusion people have when they hear the term 'cartridge' and assume they will have zero loading times like in the ancient past.

On 13/10/2018 at 22:21, bm said:

If that's the Deluxe version then yeah you get everything available. If I'm playing it with my daughter she wants to use the toys and wants to make the changes even if I'm playing. If I'm on my own it's much simpler with the pro controller.

I think so far she prefers the toys to the game though.

40 minutes ago, sandman said:

Anyone taken the plunge on The World Ends with You?

Yep, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm away next weekend so I'll probably get stuck in then I'm between Toilet Souls sessions. 

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

Not all solid state is created equal though, NVMe or Enterprise solutions are fastest and most expensive, bog standard SSDs are pretty quick, eMMC and SD cards and cheap junk USB memory sticks come in last in the pecking order.

It's the same confusion people have when they hear the term 'cartridge' and assume they will have zero loading times like in the ancient past.

Also in the past cartridges loaded fast because the amount of data being pulled out of them was far smaller than the data transmission rate of the cartridge. Now though we are pushing through a lot of data while the transmission amount isn't that high. Basically the pace of capacity increase has been greater than the pace of transmission increase. 

Even in the old days though there was loading on some cartridge games (noticeable loading). For example wipeout 64 on the N64 was one. 

• Upvote 2

I'm heading to New York for work next month, thinking of picking up a Switch game or two if I can find any bargains.

I'm right in assuming anything I buy in the US will just work, with no downsides?

Will there be issues with things like DLC codes?

My left Joycon has started playing up :(

The Switch doesn't always seem to recognise when its attached to the console, meaning I have to mess around with resyncing it everytime I wake the console up.

I've noticed the battery in stand-by is going down much faster too but I'm not sure if that is related, although it seems strange to have cropped up at the same time. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I only use it in handheld mode so it's rather annoying. 

I have a couple of joy con problems, the left stick drifts to the left regularly and the right stick drifts down regularly.

I'm sure I read a while back it's quite an easy fix. Anybody have experience with getting them working properly again? My Zelda session lasted about 5 minutes because it was infuriating.

22 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I have a couple of joy con problems, the left stick drifts to the left regularly and the right stick drifts down regularly.

I'm sure I read a while back it's quite an easy fix. Anybody have experience with getting them working properly again? My Zelda session lasted about 5 minutes because it was infuriating.

I had the right stick drifting to the right, but I just kept ignoring it (on its own it doesn't really make much difference playing Zelda, the view just rotates which you can halt) and it's stopped doing it, so I assume the dirt has shifted. I had it booked in for a repair but never bothered sending it. Definitely give it the air blasts before worrying unduly.

2 hours ago, Adrock said:

changing out the stick is a fairly straight forward task, it's pretty cheap to grab a replacement from aliexpress :)

At the moment I have very little time and on my 4k  monitor the switch looks awful. 

I'm thinking to sell my switch but I want to keep my "digital" games. 

That is possible now, right?

Is there anything I have to do on the Switch before selling it?

Yomawari: The Long Night Collection arrived this morning. A quick count means I now have 33 physical Switch games and 95 games on the console in total. :blink:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

On 16/10/2018 at 10:32, Isaac said:

I'm heading to New York for work next month, thinking of picking up a Switch game or two if I can find any bargains.

I'm right in assuming anything I buy in the US will just work, with no downsides?

Will there be issues with things like DLC codes?

The games are multiregion. Not sure about DLC.

Note that at current exchange rates and once you factor in sales tax you’ll be looking at the equivalent of £50 for a new release. Some eShop only games in Europe such as Code of Princess, Cave Story etc have received physical releases in the US, so might be worth tracking down.

On 14/10/2018 at 13:21, the_debaser said:

2017 was probably my favourite ever year for games and that was because of Sonic Mania on the Switch. 2018 was pretty terrible until Sonic Mania Plus was released.

FTFY

On 14/10/2018 at 15:00, Ste Pickford said:

I don't know for sure (never done Switch development), but I suspect that the slow load times of a lot of games are just what you'd expect to load in the data needed on that hardware.

The much faster load times on most Nintendo titles are almost certainly the result of lots of work, lots of effort, lots of care, lots of imagination, lots of time and lots of money spent by the developer.  There's probably one or two people on the team spending all day scratching their heads working out little tricks they can employ to improve load times.  What if we just load in a small chunk of the level then let you start, then load in the extra bits while you're playing?  Maybe we can do an extra little background load during the count-down to start a race in Mario Kart?  Chop up the data in funky ways that are tons of extra work for the artists, just to shave 0.1 secs off the loading times.  Rearrange part of UI so that some assets can be loaded in the background once you start playing, etc.

It's not like indie games are stupidly choosing the 'load_slow' command when Nintendo are cleverly choosing the 'load_fast' command in their code.   Nintendo are just rich enough, and incentivised enough, to go the extra mile to hide any deficiencies in their hardware.

And they're making platform exclusives, so they can arrange their data in ways that suit the quirks of the Switch hardware, even if it would make the game run much worse if it was on a different platform.  Multiplatform developers can't easily work that way.

A lot of it will be engine dependent too, especially Unity based indie games. Unity’s Scene-centric workflow means that unless you sit down and write your own asset management system or work out a very tidy way of structuring things around Scenes early in development you tend to get obvious load times.

• Upvote 1