Nintendo Switch

17 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Anyone else have their Switch getting really hot in the case and picking it up with low battery, having powered off? Seems to be whenever I'm not connected to WiFi but I don't have airplane mode on.

I had this but only when I had played Starlink.

The sad thing about the analyst story is that some tech sites, who should really know better, really ran with it. Like, "yeah, Switch just outsold GameCube and the games are doing great, but they haven't sold as many in total as the PS4, it's actual competitor."

You what, mate? 

I haven't bought a Switch game since Odyssey, well.. i might have bought Super Meat Boy since then but i can't remember. I still play MK8 DX every couple of weeks but that's about it.

I'll get Smash but i really hope it has a decent single player (and decent online for that matter).

edit: thats not to say there hasnt been games ive been interested in, it's just that pc/other consoles have got them first .

3 hours ago, friedgold said:

With Dark Souls on the go and Civ coming in a couple of weeks the LAST thing I need to see is positive impressions of a game I've wanted to play for years. Geez.

Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, and now Diablo and Civilization

fucking hell man.  There are not enough hours in the day - even when I include lunch breaks and train journeys!

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

It just shows how the industry is a bit fucked up imo. Sales of hardware and software are up on last year, massive titles just ahead, yet analysts still give their reasons to be concerned. It has sold 22 million in 18 months for God's sake! 

Nintendo gave a forecast for what they expect total sales for this FY to be, analysts work on a 3 month forecast basis aswell as a total year basis. If Nintendo hasn't reached an expected sales milestone at this point in the year, then that means they have to exceed projections for the rest of the FY to stand a chance of hitting their own stated 20 Million unit sales goal.

It's like if somebody is running a race, and they are behind the forecast pace at the halfway point, what are the chances they are going to run really, really fast for the remainder of the race and set a new personal best or world record like they claimed they would before the start of the race?

That's the crux of the concern. If a company isn't beating forecasts, there is little reason to buy the shares and they will fall as a result as investors look to back another company instead which will outperform and have a rising share price.

17 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It's like if somebody is running a race, and they are behind the forecast pace at the halfway point, what are the chances they are going to run really, really fast for the remainder of the race and set a new personal best or world record like they claimed they would before the start of the race?

Depends on how naive the analysis is - if they're just dividing Nintendo's annual projection across four quarters, then that's clearly flawed. Christmas is coming, as are Pokemon and Smash Bros. To take the racing metaphor, the next leg of the race is downhill, on a rocket sledge.

That said, only 5m at the half-way mark against a target of 20m for hardware does sound like they're going to need some Mario Kart-grade rubberbanding.

44 minutes ago, mushashi said:

they have to exceed projections for the rest of the FY to stand a chance of hitting their own stated 20 Million unit sales goal.

If only there was something like, oooh, Christmas coming up.

Despite the above, I’ve bought a Switch for my son and now I have some questions that are probably daft.

I have a Nintendo account from a while back and I added him as a family member under that. I’ve put a profile for him on the console and have linked it to his own Nintendo ID that I set up.

What I’m unsure about is buying games etc. If I buy on my account will he have access? (My account isn’t on the Switch but I can put it on there). Or do I have to buy using his account (but then no access for me if I wanted it?)

I’d prefer to buy everything on my account if possible :)

I understand there’s an online access thing now like Xbox live/PSN - would he need this for minecraft to play with someone on an Xbox One (I’m assuming this is possible...) Is the online access needed for anything else exciting?

Thanks!

If you have your account on the Switch, he can play your games on his account, no problem there.

I think you'll need the online for Minecraft, but I'm not too sure. I remember reading that free games don't need the service, but everything else does. There is a family pass if you both want online, but I haven't taken the plunge, so others here could advise better.

Some great games (especially for co-op) on Switch, hope you both love it!

17 hours ago, mushashi said:

Nintendo gave a forecast for what they expect total sales for this FY to be, analysts work on a 3 month forecast basis aswell as a total year basis. If Nintendo hasn't reached an expected sales milestone at this point in the year, then that means they have to exceed projections for the rest of the FY to stand a chance of hitting their own stated 20 Million unit sales goal.

That's the crux of the concern. If a company isn't beating forecasts, there is little reason to buy the shares and they will fall as a result as investors look to back another company instead which will outperform and have a rising share price.

They sold what, 14 or 15 million by the end of the last fiscal year and they're up on those sales quarter on quarter so it's still possible. The crucial one is this Oct to Dec period and when you consider the software and bundles they have they're looking pretty good. Software sales are also above their own projections so there's some wiggle room revenue wise. I still think 20m is a big push but I wouldn't be surprised to see sales of around 18m which is still a phenomenal achievement. 

31 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m just sad that if they don’t hit 20 million sales we all have to smash our Switches.

:(

We can all do it together, literal Smash Bros.

It'll be like 19.9 million Switches all crying out together....

8 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

So if I put my profile on there too we should be all ok? Smashing, thanks

You’d need to make your second Switch your primary one, otherwise they’d have to play your games logged in as you.

You won’t be able to play the same purchased game at the same time either - the second launch logs the first one out.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

You’d need to make your second Switch your primary one, otherwise they’d have to play your games logged in as you.

You won’t be able to play the same purchased game at the same time either - the second launch logs the first one out.

I don’t have a second Switch, I’ve just bought one for my son.

Just to backtrack then, I put a child/sub account for him on the console and I’m the family admin (I did this on the website) but now I should put my profile on there and I may as well set it to the primary console since we only have the one? It didn’t ask me if I wanted to make it my sons primary console yesterday so I assume this won’t be a problem setting it as mine. I’m not planning on playing on it much really as it’s his, I just want the control over the purchases etc