rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, Teeohbee said:

I'm sure I've read something similar in here earlier, so sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. 

My left joy con is playing up, but not just in wireless play. The left analogue stick appears to miss the bottom right corner entirely when doing quarter circles and seems generally unresponsive. Anyone had this?

Tried "updating controllers", sure that option didn't exist at launch, what does it do? Also tried actually turning the unit off and on again. Still really obvious. 

Out of warranty of course but still tempted to send it off to Nintendo to see what they do. Are they good/value for out of warranty repairs?

Ta!

I had the exact same issue. Where did you buy it from? Amazon replaced my Switch no problem after 13 months.

3 hours ago, kempstar said:

I had the exact same issue. Where did you buy it from? Amazon replaced my Switch no problem after 13 months.

Did they send you the replacement first so you could migrate your account over to the new machine?

31 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Did they send you the replacement first so you could migrate your account over to the new machine?

They did yes. And it was really simple to do.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kempstar said:

Ah, maybe I should have done this. 

Spoke to Amazon this morning and they did offer a full refund, but I didn't even think of requesting the replacement first so I could transfer, they didn't suggest it. 

Instead they offered a retroactive refund of £27.99 which I took. It nearly covers the Nintendo repair costs. 

Now I'm not sure if I should trust the Nintendo repair centre and pay up, or just put the refund towards new joy cons. 

22 hours ago, joffocakes said:

There's a Nintendo Direct on Wednesday at 3pm; this one will apparently be focused on Smash Bros, for a change.

Smash Bros might well be the most disappointing game I’ve ever played. 

It sounds like it should be brilliant, and something I’d love, Nintendo using all their characters to do to fighters what Mario Kart did to racers. But it’s just pants. 

They should focus less on squeezing in obscure characters from games no-one likes and more on a fighting system which isn’t reliant on button mashing. 

That Dead Cells game above looks alright I suppose. Just wish I hadn’t already bought a million similar rock hard metroidvania games to compensate for the lack of proper releases for the Switch this year. 

• Downvote 6
  • Empathy 1

I ain't no pro player or owt but Smash Bros' fighting system is far more complex than 'button mashing' there's loads of in-depth techniques, strategies and combos to master. Just need to watch some of the competitive tournament games to see how much more there is to the game. 

53 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

It sounds like it should be brilliant, and something I’d love, Nintendo using all their characters to do to fighters what Mario Kart did to racers. But it’s just pants. 

They should focus less on squeezing in obscure characters from games no-one likes and more on a fighting system which isn’t reliant on button mashing. 

I know youre just trolling but I absolutely adore Smash Bros. It's so simple and accessible while still having an incredibly high skill-ceiling for folk interested in learning more advanced play. Plus there's ludicrous attention to detail in its roster and references.

No game is for everyone but Smash does better than most fighters in appealing to a broader audience. I reckon after Smash Ultimate releases it may well beat out Tekken to become the biggest selling fighting game franchise of all time.

• Upvote 1

But, aye. Glory days for fans of the Metroidvania. To think Nintendo themselves spent something like three generations believing that nobody could possibly ever want to play games in that style :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

It's not usually that. It's more "Metroid... vania? Well we perfected Metroid before Symphony of the Night was even a twinkle in Konami's eye with Super. We had a few goes iterating on it after that, what else do you think think we should do with it?" 

Well that and it doesn't crap out money quite as fast as other a Nintendo franchises. 

49 minutes ago, kensei said:

It's not usually that. It's more "Metroid... vania? Well we perfected Metroid before Symphony of the Night was even a twinkle in Konami's eye with Super. We had a few goes iterating on it after that, what else do you think think we should do with it?" 

I mean, if they were trying to come up with new directions to take the genre I'd quite like to see a modern take on the more simulation-y, puzzle oriented proto-Metroidvania that was 1988's Exile. It would even fit with Nintendo's move to a reactive, dynamic world for its last Zelda game!

Though, actually, considering the inevitable chorus of "oh my God why hasn't anyone else every done anything like this before!" that would inevitably follow, with Nintendo receiving ever higher plaudits for their great innovation as Jeremy Smith revolves in his grave at ever higher speeds, perhaps I'd be happier if they don't do that.

We’re a month out from paid online. I’ve just had a mooch about on Nintendo.co.uk and still no more details since the update they made pre-E3.

No date, no details about cloud saves, no details about the 10 extra games. 

Cutting it fine aren’t they? 

53 minutes ago, carlospie said:

If I buy a switch is a mem card essential? Would install fortnite, the f2p Pokemon and loladins

I'd not say it's essential but if you're planning on going digital (and there are a ton of digital only games on the system) to pretty much any degree and don't often clear stuff / redownload things you've bought then I'd personally say yeah, grab one.

These are spot on and well priced: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/checkout/cart/

40 minutes ago, Junker said:

We’re a month out from paid online. I’ve just had a mooch about on Nintendo.co.uk and still no more details since the update they made pre-E3.

No date, no details about cloud saves, no details about the 10 extra games. 

Cutting it fine aren’t they? 

It'll be a trainwreck. As per usual with Nintendo's online offering. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

If I buy a switch is a mem card essential? Would install fortnite, the f2p Pokemon and loladins

No but given the price of 128GB (and even 200GB in sales) cards it's hard not to recommend having one. It'll drastically up your impulse buying though.

On 05/08/2018 at 19:55, wretcherd said:

This is what my left joycon does when pushing right:

https://i.imgur.com/4dzlJc7.gifv

Only started doing it recently after gf played Toad for a week straight.

My left joycon started doing this when I pushed up.

I took the back off, blew really hard into the side and put it all back together and not had a problem since.    Seems like the same fix for all Nintendo hardware problems.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, the_debaser said:

:facepalm:

If you don't have anyone to play the game with then maybe you just never bothered to learn the controls to play it on your own. I do hope the new one has more single player modes and a decent online mode too though.

Whats the deal with IGN removing their Dead Cells review?!

DEAD CELLS REVIEW - REMOVED

Share.

BY IGN STAFF Editor's Note: As a group of writers and creators who value our own work and that of others in our field, the editorial staff of IGN takes plagiarism very seriously. In light of concerns that have been raised about our Dead Cells review, we’ve removed it for the time being and are investigating.

Just now, SMD said:

Plagiarised to fuck. Check the Dead Cells thread. Also why are you on IGN? :P

Yeah I just found out why. I do use IGN every so often, mainly for their trailers or news but i don't really take their reviews seriously. I have been using IGN for 20 years (i know it's not the same but hard to break a habit!).

5 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah I just found out why. I do use IGN every so often, mainly for their trailers or news but i don't really take their reviews seriously. I have been using IGN for 20 years (i know it's not the same but hard to break a habit!).

Ah man, 20 years ago it wasn't even IGN. I remember when they had the first big leak on the GBA, remember the hype over it. They were pretty on the money too. Less so with the Gamecube but still better than the competition. Its sad how they've turned out.

Just now, SMD said:

Ah man, 20 years ago it wasn't even IGN. I remember when they had the first big leak on the GBA, remember the hype over it. They were pretty on the money too. Less so with the Gamecube but still better than the competition. Its sad how they've turned out.

Yeah they started of as n64.com or something along those lines. Used the message forums there (and on ign) till about 2002 when I was told about edge forums (before that closed and this place became everyones new home). All the E3 "megatons" memes that never actually amounted to anything too :rolleyes:

Clearly putting a 16GB card in the Switch was a stupid idea. I assume the best way to upgrade is to archive everything and then download again on the new card when I get one?

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Yup.

I'm currently feeling that my 128gb card isn't enough, either.

You can just swap the cards out if you get another one. The official case I got has space in it for microSD cards and game carts, so just keep something like that nearby.