rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I know we've laughed at it before but I stumbled across the new Harvest Moon game on the eShop last night and oh my god. It's like a kid just got given Scratch and decided to make Stardew Valley.

SxgW2cxrN9sJ52kSzGTCMe-650-80.jpg.04482d785b7e57453a9fd9b991b74ea9.jpghY3eLI2b51e-06PIYrLzLw10w0YWBmGr.thumb.jpg.f245cf99dbc99beee88128e19ac44f6e.jpg

24 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I'm 95% buying a Switch "for my son" this week.  Is it still just the standard blue/red or grey combos or are there cooler editions out there?

Also, what are the essentials I need to get me by for the first month (besides Zelda, Mario, a big memory card and a screen protector)?

Simplygames are doing the console only for £249 next day atm.  Can recommend them.  Got everything the next day as promised.  Although you can't have it sent to a separate address on their website, you can have dpd leave it in a safe place (front porch etc) if you check your confirmation emails. If you order games at the same time as the console they also don't charge p + p for them either which is nice.

7 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

I wouldn't bother with a memory card for a while unless you bought Mario and Zelda digitally. 

There's loads of games I can recommend, but if you get into Breath of the Wild you will be engrossed for quite some time anyway. 

There's also quite a lot of demos on the store, fortnite is free to download, and stardew Valley is one of the best bang for your buck games out there. 

Enjoy the Switch, and let your son play it sometimes. 

Cheers for that.  I'm getting the Mario Odyssey Switch bundle, which I think gives you a code to download the digital version of Mario.  Not sure if it'll fit on the internal storage.

2 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Simplygames are doing the console only for £249 next day atm.  Can recommend them.  Got everything the next day as promised.  Although you can't have it sent to a separate address on their website, you can have dpd leave it in a safe place (front porch etc) if you check your confirmation emails. If you order games at the same time as the console they also don't charge p + p for them either which is nice.

I live in Dubai.  Getting the Mario bundle for £310.  It comes with the system, the game and a case.  I think that's alright, no?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Cheers for that.  I'm getting the Mario Odyssey Switch bundle, which I think gives you a code to download the digital version of Mario.  Not sure if it'll fit on the internal storage.

Yeah it'll easily fit on it with plenty of room to spare.

11 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

You get 32gb internal storage and Mario is under 6gb.  Zelda is around 14gb.  There's a sale on the eShop at the moment until the 21st June, so if you want to get any digital content cheaper  than usual (Zelda, Stardew Valley, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, etc) I'd maybe purchase now.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?f=147394-5-7037-20

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I know we've laughed at it before but I stumbled across the new Harvest Moon game on the eShop last night and oh my god. It's like a kid just got given Scratch and decided to make Stardew Valley.

SxgW2cxrN9sJ52kSzGTCMe-650-80.jpg.04482d785b7e57453a9fd9b991b74ea9.jpghY3eLI2b51e-06PIYrLzLw10w0YWBmGr.thumb.jpg.f245cf99dbc99beee88128e19ac44f6e.jpg

Pretty sure fucking Farmville looked more aesthetically pleasing than this.

42 minutes ago, Duckula said:

Pretty sure fucking Farmville looked more aesthetically pleasing than this.

I've done shits that are more aesthetically pleasing than this.

• Upvote 4

I'm not going to say I understand all of this, but sounds like Nintendo have done a pretty rock solid job of stopping piracy on Switch this time out (online at least)...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

You get 32gb internal storage and Mario is under 6gb.  Zelda is around 14gb.  There's a sale on the eShop at the moment until the 21st June, so if you want to get any digital content cheaper  than usual (Zelda, Stardew Valley, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, etc) I'd maybe purchase now.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?f=147394-5-7037-20

Thanks.  Is it like steam in that you can buy the title now and download at a later date?

Also has anyone had any issues using their credit card on the shop?  I normally prefer to use vouchers so if it is hacked it's not a massive ballache to sort out.

Just now, davidcotton said:

Also has anyone had any issues using their credit card on the shop?  I normally prefer to use vouchers so if it is hacked it's not a massive ballache to sort out.

I have used mine but I don't store the details. Buying cards is always cheaper though so there's little point.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I have used mine but I don't store the details. Buying cards is always cheaper though so there's little point.

Best place to get them from atm?  Also do they email you the number to use or send the card?

Just now, davidcotton said:

Best place to get them from atm?  Also do they email you the number to use or send the card?

Last few I've had have been from Zeek, but CDKeys is reliable if they have stock. They email you the number.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Omizzay said:

I'm 95% buying a Switch "for my son" this week.  Is it still just the standard blue/red or grey combos or are there cooler editions out there?

Also, what are the essentials I need to get me by for the first month (besides Zelda, Mario, a big memory card and a screen protector)?

For me, portable Skyrim is the best thing about the Switch.  Skyrim isn't everyone's cup of tea, or you may have already played it to death, but for me it was an essential.

• Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm not going to say I understand all of this, but sounds like Nintendo have done a pretty rock solid job of stopping piracy on Switch this time out (online at least)...

The design seems solid, but many solid designs have been undone with poor implementation. I think the PS3 had a real howler with a hardcoded number that should have been random in the key generator. And the Wii security was a farce.

(Also, the level of detail makes it rather seem like a nod-and-a-wink way of documenting the current Nintendo auth process with a view of pooling knowledge and ultimately working around it! Maybe I'm too cynical, but the name of the Reddit makes me wonder.)

I did wonder if he was just sharing to try and encourage breaking - but he's pretty up-front that he feels they've done a good job - and he even says they've done it the way he would have done it himself. I think he's genuinely impressed with the implementation and just wanted to share. I'm absolutely no expert, but he seems to be suggesting it's pretty solid given the mixture of unique checks and balances in place and it's unlikely to be broken.

Just now, rgraves said:

I did wonder if he was just sharing to try and encourage breaking - but he's pretty up-front that he feels they've done a good job - and he evens says they've done it the way he would have done it himself. I think he's genuinely impressed with the implementation and just wanted to share. I'm absolutely no expert, but he seems to be suggesting it's pretty solid given the mixture of unique checks and balances in place and it's unlikely to be broken.

Even if that is his motive, if the scheme is solid it shouldn't matter. Fair play to Nintendo for getting their shit together in this regard anyway.

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Thanks.  Is it like steam in that you can buy the title now and download at a later date?

I think you have to access the store once on a Switch before it'll let you buy Switch games.

8 hours ago, davidcotton said:

If you use CDKeys go to the Facebook page and like it as you get a 5% discount code on any purchase. Can do that on multiple orders!

9 hours ago, davidcotton said:

I had issues paying with any cards for several months (regardless of eshop region). Rang Nintendo and the guy I spoke to said it was a known problem and that he had same problem! Must have been fixed as it let me get past the card details entry screen the other day when I almost bought Hollow Knight (and remembered how skint I was with a family to feed!). 

Where is Wargroove? I thought it would have been out ages ago.

Edit: Seems Chucklefish have basically said it's done when it's done, which is admirable. 

I also learned they're publishing this Chinese game that I've had my eye on for a while now. Just Mac and PC listed currently but hopefully it'll make it Switchwards. Looks perfect for it.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Christ. When did Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 come out?

VC2 and 3 were PSP only, VC3 never even made it outside Japan.