Nintendo Switch

17 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Folks did I dream it or did Nintendo announce some branded portable battery's for Switch? Anybody had any problems taking stuff like that in hand luggage on a plane? 

They did, and they're Anker but I can't see they're going to have anything but a Nintendo logo and an artificially high price.

I have a 27,800mAh Anker and I took it in hand luggage last week and have done before.

3 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I posted about my Melopow equivalent a few months ago. No one knew then and I'm still too afraid to plug mine in.

Debating getting a 2nd dock and 3D printing a smaller enclosure for it.

Cheers man. I'm tempted to get a second dock too, not sure it's worth risking! 

Annoyingly I can't seem to find one without the power supply, as I already have 2 official PSUs.. 

18 hours ago, grindmouse said:

If you're going to own a Switch you will need to buy an SD card.

I don't see why this is so surprising in an age of 500GB hard drive consoles and enormous patches & DLC.

17 hours ago, Stanley said:

You don't on Switch either but just like other consoles you'll need to delete content when it gets full. Switch games are generally smaller in size than PS4/Xbox though.

It's still a bit naff that the storage is so low when you have games like Starlink coming out and using over half the free space on the internal storage on their own. If there were 250gb downloads needed for single, retail PS4/XBone games I'd call their default storage insufficient too. 

It's not as bad as the Wii U basic shipping with insufficient storage for individual games, but it's still a bit frustrating. 

8 minutes ago, robdood said:

Cheers man. I'm tempted to get a second dock too, not sure it's worth risking! 

Annoyingly I can't seem to find one without the power supply, as I already have 2 official PSUs.. 

Aye, I got a 2nd official PSU too. The price of the dock separate is nuts!

I did read some unsubstantiated claims on Reddit that the USB-C style hubs we have are fine with an official PSU, but I dunno...

6 hours ago, robdood said:

Hello all, I've not used my Switch with the Mac USB-C multiport thingy I use in my office for a while, and remember seeing some reports of third party docks bricking Switches, so just wanted to know if anyone here's used something similar since the 5.0 system update?

Here's the thing I have.

I'm using something similar with the official Nintendo power supply with no issues. 

Stuff I'm regularly playing on the Switch at the moment:

Paladins

Ikaruga

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus

Splatoon 2

Fortnite

Just Beats And Shapes

Octopath Traveler

ARMS

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Wizard of Legend

What an amazing machine. Eight of the above I've got in May or June. I've never played so many games so much in my whole life. 

11 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Quick question. My switch doesn’t seem to charge using the cable that came with the pro controller. It shows the charging icon but never gets any charge. Is that normal? Charges fine in the dock. 

What is the Pro Controller wire connected to? The Switch need a power adapter with a bit of oomph,  a regular iPhone charger will take about 8 hours to charge a Switch. 

19 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Stuff I'm regularly playing on the Switch at the moment:

Paladins

Ikaruga

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus

Splatoon 2

Fortnite

Just Beats And Shapes

Octopath Traveler

ARMS

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Wizard of Legend

What an amazing machine. Eight of the above I've got in May or June. I've never played so many games so much in my whole life. 

Yeah man it's awesome. Playing Fortnite in bed last night, the coolest. And Octopath is absolutely gorgeous. 

2 minutes ago, Barnard said:

What is the Pro Controller wire connected to? The Switch needs power adapters with a bit of oomph,  a regular iPhone charger will take about 8 hours to charge a Switch. 

Oh, didn’t know that, cheers. It’s just plugged into a random USB plug adapter thing. So can you get specifically more powerful ones of those, and if so can you blow up your phone if you plug it in to that accidentally?

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Oh, didn’t know that, cheers. It’s just plugged into a random USB plug adapter thing. So can you get specifically more powerful ones of those, and if so can you blow up your phone if you plug it in to that accidentally?

Here’s a great Reddit post detailing the power options for the Switch. I think modern power adapters do little handshakes and stuff to work out what the chargee is capable of taking. 

The 56k ohm resistor in the USB-C cables is part of the protection against overloading and breaking things. 

12 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Bloody hell. Thanks for the details, but I’m not paying that for a charger. The dock will have to do. 

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wall-Charger-Syncwire-Plug-Interchangeable/dp/B011KPRE1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529313089&sr=8-1&keywords=syncwire+charger

It'll at very least maintain the battery level - and obviously you have to use one of the higher rated black dot 2.4A sockets on it.

In the table above it will land in the 'Good' section, which I'd say is good enough.

I usually run the Switch down to the battery warning indicator (15%) the plug in.  After an hour or so playing Xenoblade with it plugged in last week, I checked the battery and it was up to 33% so obviously going up, if a little slower than the main one would.  I've never had it run dead, though I guess some games are more intensive than others, and if it's running the fan etc it'll be using more battery.  I've used it for a year or so when in portable mode with no issues, plus obviously 4 port, so I use it as my main phone and tablet charger too.

It'll happily charge a Switch overnight too of course..

I use it with a good quality really long USB-C cable, but the cable with the Pro controller will be good enough quality.

18 hours ago, robdood said:

Hmm OK, that makes sense, so that leads me to think that, given I'm using a proper Nintendo charger that it might be OK.. 

We discussed this a few pages back, and the consensus was that it's the charger causing bricking, not the dock, and with an official charger, it'd be fine.  No one was brave enough to try it though, or at least no one had confirmed it as ok....

16 hours ago, Marvellous Chester said:

I'm using something similar with the official Nintendo power supply with no issues. 

...until now :)

I went on holiday and just took the charger from the dock with me. It would have been easier to use my Anker battery pack but I'm so wary of bricking the thing by using the wrong cable or an incompatible charger that I thought I'd best play it safe. It's all so needlessly complex in the way that only Nintendo ever really seem to manage.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I went on holiday and just took the charger from the dock with me. It would have been easier to use my Anker battery pack but I'm so wary of bricking the thing by using the wrong cable or an incompatible charger that I thought I'd best play it safe. It's all so needlessly complex in the way that only Nintendo ever really seem to manage.

When I take it away, I use the USB cable that came with my Pro controller and either my RAVPower battery pack or my iPad charger.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I finally need a mem card for Mario tennis, did we ever discover if faster cards can be hand,ed by the Switch or should I go for cheapest £/GB?

Of course, capacity is only half of the equation - what about speed? Well, here the Switch isn't quite so future-proof. The console only supports UHS-1 cards, which have a maximum possible speed of 104MB/s, compared to the 312MB/s speed limit of the more modern UHS-2 standard. However, our testing revealed only a tiny differential between the slowest and fastest UHS-1 Micro SD cards on the Switch, so our recommendations are tailored towards capacity and value rather than speed.