Nintendo Switch

deKay

Exactly. Obviously the focus will be on imminent software (and given that includes the two mammoths that are Smash and Pokemon that makes total sense), but to say they'll not at least tease something a little further out (or that we've not seen at all before) seems mental.

20 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Yours appears to be to avoid answering direct questions, in favour of just repeating the same daft thing over again in a slightly more condescending tone.

What daft thing are you referring to? the likely lack of new key software drivers being announced at E3? or something else?

Going by their stated aim and how last year went, it seems highly plausible. Go back and watch that, any new things they announced were not key software drivers.

Gamers might hold niche game sequels in high regard, but the only thing an investor in Nintendo's shares cares about is software that can sell a shitload and help move more hardware. Are you confident they will be announcing anything that big at E3 when they've already announced arguably 2 of their top 10 brands already, and 3 of the other big ones already had a game last year. What does that leave that they could announce that would cause a big uptick in optimism leading to new people wanting to buy their shares in anticipation of ever more moneyprinting? This year is reliant on Pokémon/Labo and maybe Smash Brothers to push the system.

In terms of the online angle, here's what the article says, as you clearly haven't read it:

Nintendo is planning to launch its paid online network in September, with Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities Co. analysts estimating the service will bring in 19.2 billion yen ($175 million) in operating profit for the fiscal year ending March 2020. But a bumpy roll-out could put those expectations in jeopardy, potentially forcing Nintendo to invest more heavily into beefing up the infrastructure.

“They’re years and years behind on the network business,” said Anvarzadeh. “That doesn’t mean they can’t catch up, but Sony spent billions on fortifying the PlayStation Network expansion.”

What daft thing are you referring to?

There's loads.

Like the daft assumption that Nintendo are not going to announce anything new and exciting at E3 as they've already sabotaged themselves by letting it all out already. Those numpties. Like the daft idea that they simply can't support an online network despite having done so for a good few years already with a couple of small titles like Mario Kart, Splatoon, Rocket League etc. The n00bs. Like the odd assertion that the Mario Tennis demo was a terrible thing, despite it being praised by the majority of people. The amateurs.

Can they announce anything bigger than Smash or Pokemon? I doubt it, but then who could? And does that mean they should just stop with anything else?

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Same here, I already had a handheld case but the Orzly is straight up better. Thanks very much, apologies I can't remember who first recommended it! 

Twas me and you are all indeed welcome, for the price you really can't argue its effective - although I am still eyeing up that Skull and Co case as I'd still prefer more prominent grips.

Anyway day one in a now a two switch Dream household as bought the eldest his own for his birthday and am now officially the best dad ever (allegedly).  Very glad I'm mainly physical as no way to share accounts over two devices sadly, although its going to be a strict one cart in one cart out policy as trusting an 8 year old to look after tiny Switch cartridges may well be a recipe for disaster.  I did get him Splatoon 2 and Cat Quest (because reasons) digital though so will be nice to play linked games... Grandma got him Labo too so looking forward to building those over the next few weekends.

Might be crazy but two docks is kind of over kill for our needs - guess I'll set the other one up on the Conservatory telly but we only ever use the main living room one (Conservatory either tends to be too cold or too bright for the TV to be much use) and never going to be a situation where it wouldn't be easier for one person just to use the handheld mode.  Easier to have his charging in handheld mode too as that way can keep the case on most of the time (given the battering his 2DS has taken its going to need to stand a chance of surviving the odd drop).  That dockless option would have suited us much better at a discount (I'd sell a dock but its nice to have two proper chargers...)

Square Enix Devotes Division To Developing Switch Games

Square Enix is readying Octopath Traveler for launch as you read this, but that's not all it has up its sleeve for Switch. According to Tomoya Asano, division executive at Square Enix, more is on the way from the RPG juggernaut.

During my conversation with the team at Acquire and Square Enix about Octopath Traveler, Asano mentioned that the team became its own division in April. "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch," he says. "If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler."

When I ask Asano if games were already in development, or if Square Enix's future on the platform is contingent upon Octopath Traveler's success, he clarified his statement. "There are several other titles that we're currently working on for Switch," he says.  "If you could just wait a bit longer, we'll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future."

Switch will have all the games!

Has anyone had any connectivity issues just lately with their joycons? I was playing last night and both sets were having issues just from me sitting on my sofa, maybe a few metres from where the Switch was docked. Button presses wouldn’t register consistently or would register with a delay. Sitting closer or pointing directly at the Switch seemed to resolve the issue, and my Pro controller was absolutely fine. I’m absolutely certain this hasn’t happened before. Latest firmware update perhaps?

I've had it on and off, particularly with the right Joycon, since I bought the Switch at the back end of last year. it's definitely been worse since the last update though. Went so far as emailing Nintendo about it then chanced upon this on Reddit:

First, ensure both joycon are updated. You can update your Joycon from settings. Then, attach both joycon to the system and dock it. You must completely power off the system with both joycon attached to it, and while in the dock. Power back on, see if it's working better.

It does sort it for me, albeit temporarily and it's a bit of a pain to have to keep doing it. Might as well carry on though as some people with the same problem said sending the controller in for repair didn't make any difference.

I put off getting a Switch for ages due to concerns over the hardware and design issues and I certainly can't say those concerns were unfounded based on my own experience with it. It's a good job the first-party games are so good really.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has anyone had any connectivity issues just lately with their joycons?

I mentioned here that since launch I've had no issues whatsoever with either my grey or my neon joycon. Then I got Labo a few weeks ago, which updated my neon joycon, and now they frequently disconnect. My grey ones, which I've not tried with it yet, haven't been updated and are fine.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

I mentioned here that since launch I've had no issues whatsoever with either my grey or my neon joycon. Then I got Labo a few weeks ago, which updated my neon joycon, and now they frequently disconnect. My grey ones, which I've not tried with it yet, haven't been updated and are fine.

Yes, good point, I did update mine a couple of weeks ago so that’s almost certainly it. Seems to be only the right joy con in each pair for me. How frustrating - but hopefully fixable. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

All the talk of hardware problems makes me nervous to buy a Switch. Does the Pro Controller work flawlessly? That's what I'd be using.

Never had an issue with it.

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has anyone had any connectivity issues just lately with their joycons? I was playing last night and both sets were having issues just from me sitting on my sofa, maybe a few metres from where the Switch was docked. Button presses wouldn’t register consistently or would register with a delay. Sitting closer or pointing directly at the Switch seemed to resolve the issue, and my Pro controller was absolutely fine. I’m absolutely certain this hasn’t happened before. Latest firmware update perhaps?

My left JoyCon has never had any proper reception distance beyond 30cm away from the docked console, sadly.

Tested further and it appears to be simply a line of sight thing. If I block line of sight to the console with anything (e.g. my leg) then it starts acting up. If I have my hands out in front of me then it all works fine.  They must have really cheaped out on the strength of the Bluetooth transmitter in the joycon for it to be so easily obstructed like this.

Thankfully the Pro Controller works fine, but at this rate I'm going to have to buy a couple more of the things when Smash Bros arrives. I'm not sure I can rely on the joycons as multiplayer controllers like I was hoping to.

EDIT: actually I wonder if putting the wrist strap attachments on them would make them any more reliable. Might add some distance between the transmitter and my hand, maybe. I'll try later and see if it helps.

21 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Tested further and it appears to be simply a line of sight thing. If I block line of sight to the console with anything (e.g. my leg) then it starts acting up. If I have my hands out in front of me then it all works fine.  They must have really cheaped out on the strength of the Bluetooth transmitter in the joycon for it to be so easily obstructed like this.

Thankfully the Pro Controller works fine, but at this rate I'm going to have to buy a couple more of the things when Smash Bros arrives. I'm not sure I can rely on the joycons as multiplayer controllers like I was hoping to.

EDIT: actually I wonder if putting the wrist strap attachments on them would make them any more reliable. Might add some distance between the transmitter and my hand, maybe. I'll try later and see if it helps.

You’re using them without the slidey grips?! Why?

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

You’re using them without the slidey grips?! Why?

I assumed no-one used them. They’re pointless and a pain to get on and off, especially if you’re reattaching the joycons to the Switch afterwards to charge. 

Just now, Garwoofoo said:

I assumed no-one used them. They’re pointless and a pain to get on and off, especially if you’re reattaching the joycons to the Switch afterwards to charge. 

What?! They improve the ergonomics of the joycons hugely, and take a split second to pop on and off.

I never use the joycons split without them, which is essentially whenever it’s plugged into the telly. 

Probably coincidentally, I’ve never experienced any connection issues.