rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, dadrester said:

KORRRGGGGG! Deffo gonna have a punt on that. I used to love Music and Music 2000 on the PS1.

Anyway. I'me here to peddle my filthy wares... Vostok Inc. Demo on the eShop now, plus 20% off the game. GET IT!!!!

I tried this and I loved it but it reminds me that twin stick shooters make me feel sick and I have no idea why.

• Empathy 1

Nobody mentioned that Runner 3 has an actual release date yet and a new trailer?

It's looking a bit more Sonic Colours now, but I'm confident that will end up being a good thing and it'll be amazing.

29 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Nobody mentioned that Runner 3 has an actual release date yet and a new trailer?

It's looking a bit more Sonic Colours now, but I'm confident that will end up being a good thing and it'll be amazing.

Looks like a HD version of Pandemonium to me.

Which given I love bit.trip.runner and have great nostalgia for Pandemonium is probably a good thing...

10 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Can anyone recommend a good shoot ‘em up for someone who’s not played many games in the genre? Perhaps one of the neo geo shooters?

As @Hylian says, Sky Force Reloaded is a good call because it's accessible, it has the hook of progressively upgrading your ship and replaying missions multiple times to tick off various objectives. It's fun to level up your weapons and go back to an earlier level and melt everything in sight and pick up mega bucks to upgrade further. On the other hand, it's not very highly regarded by some shmup fans (FWIW) partly because it lacks 'purity' with all these other progression systems going on. It does get challenging, though, in later missions on the harder difficulty levels.

Having played a shitload of shmups this year on the Switch, my top four would be:

Zero Gunner 2, a port of the fantastic Dreamcast game with an unusual but brilliant control scheme. It's short but very replayable and a lot of fun. It's arguably the most original/unique of this list, imagine a twin-stick shooter with Z-targeting lock on. You possibly can't until you play it but it feels great, it's very intuitive.

Gunbird, the best of the Psikyo shmups available at this point. It's a good challenge but manageable and plenty of choice of characters and ships and gameplay and presentation options. It's a classic vertical shmup. It's got some goofy and quite charming characters and art direction and a very brief bit of daft story, think SF2 levels.

Blazing Star, a side-scrolling Neo Geo belter. For me, it's better than R-Type. It looks and sounds gorgeous, the power ups are generous and pretty spectacular, it goes to some weird visual places. If you prefer side scrollers, this is the one. It's pretty tough but very very replayable.

And, slightly controversially, my last suggestion would be Danmaku Unlimited 3. It's a hard bullet hell game which is mostly about dodging and 'grazing' wave after wave of bullets, rather than shooting. It's very hypnotic, though, and maybe my favourite shmup on the system. It's probably one for a little down the line, though. 

• Upvote 9

17 minutes ago, friedgold said:

I keep seeing this thread and the Fortnite thread bumped alongside one another and I start hoping. Every. Single. Time. :facepalm:

Fortnite's been announced for mobile, hasn't it? I'd be very surprised if Switch isn't next. Epic will want to port their megahit to every relevant format. Just a bit of patience :)

57 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Just bought Sky Force.... now to see if I’m as bad at shmups as I remember!

Excellent difficulty curve on it, things start off pretty tame and before you know it, you're grinding Mission 3 on Insane to get some cash to unlock that extra wing cannon to give you a better chance on Mission 8 Hard...and so on and so on...

Anywhere doing cheap eShop credit? CDKeys seems to be selling them at cost. If I switch region, I can't use gold coins, can I?

6 minutes ago, kyletherobot said:

Don't forget the 5% CDKeys discount on Facebook. I know it's not much but every little helps. 

EDIT: Remember to check Quidco/TCB too. 

Whenever I use the discount code, I don't get cashback for some reason. For the sake of 75p I'd rather use my credit card and be able to switch region if there's a bargain on another store.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Anywhere doing cheap eShop credit? CDKeys seems to be selling them at cost. If I switch region, I can't use gold coins, can I?

Zeek

£6 cashback via Quidco if you're a new customer, too. £1 for existing customers. 

• Upvote 1

Had a game similar to that on the Atari Lynx, the name escapes me. How much is that in the store? I'd be interested in dipping in and out of it if it's not pricey.

23 minutes ago, Pug said:

Had a game similar to that on the Atari Lynx, the name escapes me. How much is that in the store? I'd be interested in dipping in and out of it if it's not pricey.

It's £8.99 on the UK eShop, approx £7.81 on the SA store (for which I use my UK VISA debit/credit card with no issues). 

https://eshop-prices.com/?currency=GBP

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Pug said:

Gates of Zendocon?

As for Switch Shmups, I'm loving Danmaku Unlimited 3 (see rantings in the Shmups thread) and have a soft spot for Blazing Star - it's a horrid credit gobbler after a short while but the opening few sections are sublime and caravan mode is where it's at with these games anyway :)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Excellent difficulty curve on it, things start off pretty tame and before you know it, you're grinding Mission 3 on Insane to get some cash to unlock that extra wing cannon to give you a better chance on Mission 8 Hard...and so on and so on...

The grind mechanic just shouldn't work at all but they've done such a good job of matching the upgrades to the increases in level difficulty and the whole systems seems very well thought out. It's all pretty pointless of course, you could grind the first level over and over until you are fully upgraded, but in practice the medals mean you're constantly trying different levels in different ways. Good game!

2 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Gates of Zendocon?

It was Zarlor Mercenary. LOVED that game, but looking at video of the gameplay it looks well shit, lol.

I suppose the tiny screen hid the low res graphics.

Behold :lol:

Zarlor Mercenary is not shit at all.  It holds up very well.  The action is a little slower than modern shooters, but it offers a decent challenge.  The screens are packed full of enemies and their shadows, but there is never a hint of slowdown.

The power-up system, with each character having one permanent power-up perk, was genius.

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2018 at 08:33, Bushtopher said:

Just bought Sky Force.... now to see if I’m as bad at shmups as I remember!

Really enjoying Sky Force - exactly what I was after, so thanks again for the recommendation. 

I’m still pretty bad, but it’s definitely accessible - currently switching between doing different missions, balancing pushing on and trying to get further into the game with upgrading my ship and going for the medals. Nice looking game too. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Flub said:

Has anyone else tried Tesla Vs Lovecraft? It's basically Crimsonland which I liked a lot. Seems fun so far.

Been playing it a fair bit and just about finished the normal plane. Quite enjoying it and it definitely seems to add depth the more you play. Plus it’s Tesla v Lovecraft! 

4 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Really enjoying Sky Force - exactly what I was after, so thanks again for the recommendation. 

I’m still pretty bad, but it’s definitely accessible - currently switching between doing different missions, balancing pushing on and trying to get further into the game with upgrading my ship and going for the medals. Nice looking game too. 

I think I've just unlocked level 11 but have got all medals on the first 3 or 4 stages. My approach now is to never bash my head against the wall on normal difficulty, since you don't tend to get many stars that way. If you're struggling with being underpowered, it's  best to try to earn medals on harder difficulties on the earlier stages, getting more stars in the process. Then go back to the latest stage you've unlocked.