Nintendo Switch

deKay

22 hours ago, scottcr said:

I see, so maybe. The trailer for the mobile version of PUBG shows that it is perfectly possible to get a decent looking version of the Battle Royale genre onto a mobile chipset device, though it requires something closer to a complete rewrite than a simple cheap and easy port of existing code, which has always been the sticking point for Nintendo versions of games designed primarily to work on different spec hardware.

19 hours ago, VN1X said:

I'm not questioning the Switch's succes in the sense that I don't think it deserves it or whatever. I'm genuinely curious as it's currently outselling the fuckin' Wii! You know... that thing which was on the news for months, the thing your mum brought up in conversation on birthdays, the thing your granny schooled you on with Wii Sports, etc. From my perspective it's not been part of the 'zeitgeist' in the same way the Wii was, yet it seems to be reaching an even bigger audience. Maybe it is truly down to the fact that you can play a full fat Zelda on the toiler that has made it such a succes? Either way, it's crazy how well it's done so far.

Now it remains to be seen if the Switch ever reaches those lifetime sales of the Wii but that it's currently doing better than the Wii probably even far exceeded Nintendo's wildest dreams as well. 

The official Nintendo view on it is that they've done well so far because they've hoovered up all the people who like Nintendo games and are early adopters, it certainly doesn't have the same wide demographic appeal as the Wii at present, that much would be obvious by the software line-up with the best selling games being the hardcore Nintendo fan games, not the more new casual stuff that typified the 2 most successful Nintendo hardware platforms. The current CEO, Kimishima said they need to keep on coming out with unique stuff to attract new people, especially those who aren't dedicated game fans if they want to get anywhere close to Wii levels of success, which managed to attract the sort of people who couldn't give a fuck about dedicated gaming devices prior or since. As they've since announced Nintendo Labo, that was clearly the first step in their audience expansion plans for 2018.

Speaking with Mainichi, Kimishima said: “In order to be playable in the long term, the second year is crucial. Our task is to add more users, including people who barely touch game consoles.” He also said Nintendo has to expand the game library, take in new players, and raise the Switch as “a game console with long lifespan.”

Nintendo has reached most of the people who were early adopters because they really like Nintendo’s games.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180112-00000078-mai-bus_all

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

The official Nintendo view on it is that they've done well so far because they've hoovered up all the people who like Nintendo games and are early adopters

That makes absolutely no sense and it's not what Nintendo have said really - they've just said they want to continue expansion into non-traditional gamers (in additional to the traditional ones). Because it's selling faster than any other platform in history. If it was as simple as 'hoovering up' all the early adopters it would be following a much more traditional path for them. It's capturing a wider market of gamers (outside of the Nintendo core that was basically the Wii U audience) because the hardware has some appeal and because the software breadth and quality is there.

This can't be written off as just 'early adopters' who'd buy anything. It's beyond that, clearly.

“On a time-aligned basis through the first 10 months on the market, Nintendo Switch has sold more consoles than any other platform in history,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said.

21 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Half of the folks IRL I know with switches never owned a WiiU... 

I know about a half dozen Switch owners in person and a few more by extension. Some of these are long-time gamers. Not one of them had a WiiU.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What point did you guys get up to in Stardew before you stopped playing it? I've been playing it exclusively since the start of the month and have only just got up to the winter of my first year. I think it's a great game, but as it doesn't have an 'ending' as such and, like others sims, could potentially go on forever, I think I need to draw a line for when I'll have 'completed' it, otherwise I'll never play anything else.

Just before the end of the 4th year, mainly because I'd run out of stuff to do and really wanted to move onto another game.

44 minutes ago, Jbone said:

I know about a half dozen Switch owners in person and a few more by extension. Some of these are long-time gamers. Not one of them had a WiiU.

Thats my point. The notion that the switch has only sold to Nintendo enthusiasts and has nowhere else to go now is total bollocks.  One of the guys in work has it and all he does is play Fifa on the train.

Anecdotally, I still don’t know anyone with a Switch who isn’t a gamer. Nintendo are nowhere near the casual market yet - they’re hoovering up existing Nintendo fans, and PlayStation and Xbox owners who didn’t buy a Wii U. There are millions and millions of the latter, so they have plenty of time to work on expanding the Switch’s appeal to so-called casuals and non-gamers.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I gave up on this dream when the DLC came out and I just played it on the WiiU.

It was glorious. 

Then I bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze :ph34r:

Quick, buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions 

35 minutes ago, Diggity said:

I can’t tell if the “functional” part is a joke or not? If not please explain how.

Sure, I use one of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076Q7R2ZV/

I've put a review on there dated 10th Jan for more specifics :)

I needed something to clear a bit of space on my desk when using it, hence the ghetto creation.  The 'dock' is also hiding my capture card underneath along with keeping the wires all together.  

If I get some time once the weather improve I'll make something a bit tidier with wood. 

On 1/19/2018 at 17:13, rgraves said:

That makes absolutely no sense and it's not what Nintendo have said really - they've just said they want to continue expansion into non-traditional gamers (in additional to the traditional ones). Because it's selling faster than any other platform in history. If it was as simple as 'hoovering up' all the early adopters it would be following a much more traditional path for them. It's capturing a wider market of gamers (outside of the Nintendo core that was basically the Wii U audience) because the hardware has some appeal and because the software breadth and quality is there.

This can't be written off as just 'early adopters' who'd buy anything. It's beyond that, clearly.

Hey, that's the official Nintendo view on it, take it up with them, they have the statistics to prove it too, and the game sales certainly back up their view, with the biggest sellers being the most hardcore Nintendo games, not the more casual stuff which historically has outsold 3D Mario and Zelda on nearly every prior Nintendo platform, especially the really successful ones.

Let’s take a look at the kinds of consumers who are purchasing Nintendo Switch. These are the results of an Internet survey that was given to consumers in the U.S. market who had linked a Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system after launch. It is clear to see that purchases are primarily made by male consumers in their 20s and early 30s. The results also show good interest among consumers in the 10 to 19 age range, which we see as a sign of our expanding demographics.

Am7RMIm.jpg

7 hours ago, dood said:

Sure, I use one of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076Q7R2ZV/

I've put a review on there dated 10th Jan for more specifics :)

I needed something to clear a bit of space on my desk when using it, hence the ghetto creation.  The 'dock' is also hiding my capture card underneath along with keeping the wires all together.  

If I get some time once the weather improve I'll make something a bit tidier with wood. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Switch-Compact-PlayStand-Nintendo/dp/B01N9RTMWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516471365&sr=8-3&keywords=hori+switch

54 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Hey, that's the official Nintendo view on it, take it up with them, they have the statistics to prove it too, and the game sales certainly back up their view, with the biggest sellers being the most hardcore Nintendo games, not the more casual stuff which historically has outsold 3D Mario and Zelda on nearly every prior Nintendo platform, especially the really successful ones.

Am7RMIm.jpg

Yeah it's hard to argue with really and not a bad thing either. They've obviously deliberately targeted those customers to begin with as every game is aimed at them, even 1-2 Switch. 

It'll be interesting to see how it changes with products like Labo.

46 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Trying not to spend more than I need tbh :) I did see that while shopping for the hdmi box thing. 

I have a bunch of spare timber in the garage and necessary tools, its no biggie. (plus I was planning on basically nicking my design from the various ones I've seen on amazon) 

On 1/20/2018 at 12:42, mushashi said:

Am7RMIm.jpg

Shock - games they have released on Switch have outsold games they haven't so far. More news as it breaks. Let's see how 'Labo' goes....

Also, are we seriously going to argue that the male 25-34 demographic is the Nintendo Core now? I thought that was kids and parents? It seems like the argument against Nintendo doing well moves all over the shop as needed - anything apart from just saying "yep, they are doing well".

Hold on, more good news - but it's still just that Nintendo core and early adopters right....

Totally anecdotal but its amazing how many of the kids in my son's class (he's 8) have gotten Switches (So far 6 of 30). There are friends of his begging their parents to trade in their Xbox One S's/PS4's for a Switch as they perceive the GFX to be better, and that's what all there friends now have. I'm pretty amazed that is has caught on so quickly.