deKay

Nintendo Switch

Nah, fuck that. Just bring them to the WiiU this year and next.

Delaying all the good shit like that and holding it like a dangling carrot behind the wall of new hardware would destroy all little good faith the company still has with their loyal 15mil fan-base. It would be ridiculously suicidal in terms of brand enforcement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your point? It's pretty good as far as mobile endless runners (ha) go. Micro transaction Mario won't have the blast processing that exists in SEGA's titles.

Blast processing micro transactions INTO YOUR FACE.

But then, if we assume NX is going to launch 2016, what're they going to have to launch? They could rush out a Mario game, or whatever shows off the unique thing they'll no doubt ship with. Or they could have a brand new open fucking world Zelda game and a brand new Star Fox on DAY ONE. If I was Iwata I know what I'd go with.

They said they don't have anything to say about it until next year. So I doubt it'll be around any earlier than late 2017. I suspect that like all Nintendo's vague early product annoucements (DS, 3DS) it's a spoiling action against a specific leak to the press.

But then, if we assume NX is going to launch 2016, what're they going to have to launch? They could rush out a Mario game, or whatever shows off the unique thing they'll no doubt ship with. Or they could have a brand new open fucking world Zelda game and a brand new Star Fox on DAY ONE. If I was Iwata I know what I'd go with.

Iwata would go for whatever sells Amiibos.

This is the breaking news equivalent of Sony and Microsoft laying the groundwork for their next consoles. Of course they all are. The only thing that really matters is how many idiots I have to encounter that tell me they've seen one on the internet, or that their uncle in America has one.

• Upvote 1

I'd be very surprised if the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U. Even Nintendo must realise that it can't stick with outdated PowerPC processor tech forever.

The Wii U is so underpowered and there are so few Wii U titles that it probably wouldn't be a ton of effort to port them all to a new architecture.

As long as it's backwards compatible they could release an electronic coconut and I'd buy it.

The Wii U is so underpowered and there are so few Wii U titles that it probably wouldn't be a ton of effort to port them all to a new architecture.

But the few titles there are blow away the combined wares of Xbone and PS4 combined.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

But the few titles there are blow away the combined wares of Xbone and PS4 combined.

The quality of the games is clearly the most important aspect when discussing the issue of backwards compatibility and changing architecture.
  • Upvote 2

I'd be very surprised if the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U. Even Nintendo must realise that it can't stick with outdated PowerPC processor tech forever.

The GC and Wii can be easily emulated on x64 hardware. Not a stretch to suggest the Wii U can be too.

The NX moniker is interesting because Nintendo used a similar one, DX, when porting over versions of gameboy software to the new gameboy colour. Tetris DX was basically the same as Tetris but with the bells and whistles of the colour screen and faster processor. It suggests NX software will be dual use, with portable and deuluxe home versions in the same box.

• Downvote 2

I can't get my head around why they'd make this announcement so early with zero information coming until next year. I've been toying with the idea of finally getting a WiiU this year but stuff like this just makes me want to hold fire. For all I know the NX could be backwards compatible making it well worth me waiting. Seems like a sure fire way of killing WiiU sales dead.

You're going to wait for a console you know nothing about which won't be released until most likely 2017, rather than buy one this year which is cheap and has a decent selection of great games already? Why is it worth waiting two more years to play Wii U games, maybe?

• Upvote 1

For me I'd be buying a WiiU for pretty much two games, Xenoblade & Zelda, the rest just arn't really my thing. I'd quite happily do that if I believed more games were on the horizon (Metroid would sell any system for me). Therefore it makes sense for me to wait one year for an announcement and see how things lie. Obviously price drops could change things.

Personally I think they've reversed the actual wording to throw people off the trail. The secret message they're trying to convey is "Xbox is Nob".

• Upvote 2

There's no way it'll be out by 2016.

Yah think?

..there's, not really a lot on the Horizon for the Wii U. I really don't expect them to announce a lot of software for it at E3. It's going to wind down.

Nintendo are still in the money making business shall we not forget and the Wii U (despite it's excellent current line up of software) is not selling. It's not hit targets, it's not making enough money.

Their physical stock of games appears to be drying up. Getting a physical copy of say, something like Pikmin 3 is pretty hard! They're not printing more copies as demand has been met by supply! Their games are pretty much NOT stocked by retailers. That's a fucked scenario for a business.

I fully expect an announcement of new hardware at this year's E3 with a release at the end of 2016.

I fully expect an announcement of new hardware at this year's E3 with a release at the end of 2016.

Never gonna happen - they said they "hope" to be able to speak more about it "next year" - I'd bet a bollock that rules out them unveiling it in 2 months time.

Besides, this E3 they are gonna be all about Zelda (and Starfox) - it's likely their last big Wii U title, and they are going to give it as much time in the sun as they can IMO.

They said they don't have anything to say about it until next year. So I doubt it'll be around any earlier than late 2017. I suspect that like all Nintendo's vague early product annoucements (DS, 3DS) it's a spoiling action against a specific leak to the press.

The leadtime for launch for their last 4 systems was within 2 years of official acknowledgement of its existence, they'd have to be going backwards in progress to have to regress to a near 3 year run-up, they've had since the 3DS launch in 2011 (or 2012 if people consider the bulk of the hardware R&D team to have been busy on the Wii U after that) to work on a new system. Software availability should be the only obstacle preventing them from launching by Christmas 2016. The N64 and GameCube might be considered to have been delayed from their initial launch plans.

What with the nature of modern software development, their current systems are going to be on rundown, much like how they dried up internal support for pretty much all their previous systems in the run-up to a new system launch.

Of course, if they are claiming that the NX is some sort of third pillar, which isn't supposed to replace the two existing systems, all bets are off in terms of how they plan to spread out their internal software development resources.

If they wait until late 2017, both the 3DS and Wii U will have run out of puff. The 'brand-new concept' tag for the NX alludes to some sort of hook to make it stand out.