deKay

Nintendo Switch

Fusion was pretty good. I don't rate it anywhere near as highly as Prime or Super (or Hollow Knight) but I played through it in one four-hour sitting and never returned to it so maybe I should replay it.

Pretty excited for the new Prime. It's been a while. I hope they still use lock-on because I'm useless at aiming.

I hated Fusion. We went from wordless, isolated freeform exploration of a hostile alien world to being ordered around a boring space station by a wordy, bossy computer who helpfully locks all the doors for any route other than the one you should be taking. Plus the aesthetic wasn't great - hated new lumpy Samus, and the enemies reminded me of VGA Apogee games like Blake Stone or Halloween Harry. Plus there was the Emo Telebug enemy.

Good thing Nintendo learnt from their mistakes and didn't make a poorly received Wii title with even more dialogue and arbitrary barriers to progress from a bossy computer/man. Oh, wait.

I still completed it twice, because Metroid.

• Upvote 1

I tried to play a bit of the first one on the Nes yesterday. complete shite

Also why do none of the Nes games in the stupid online thing show you the title screens?

• Upvote 1

Not single player - special.

There are special releases of Zelda, Metroid, Ghosts 'n' Goblins and others that tweak the game to give a different challenge. Zelda, for example, gives you a load of items at the start rather than requiring you to collect them as usual.

These versions jump straight in rather than having title screens, because they're basically save states. You can tell them apart because of the whopping great rosette on the boxart.

On 10/02/2019 at 08:26, mdn2 said:

Like all those people who played God of War on the PS4 after the other 4 games over the PS2 and PS3? 

So you're suggesting, that despite being named as a sequel, it's actually going to play differently and be a reboot with the same main character? ;)

Best selling 3D Metroid confirmed (though not exactly a high bar to clear), should probably drop the 4 though in that case.

23 minutes ago, mushashi said:

So you're suggesting, that despite being named as a sequel, it's actually going to play differently and be a reboot with the same main character? ;)

Best selling 3D Metroid confirmed (though not exactly a high bar to clear), should probably drop the 4 though in that case.

Well it's been what, 10 years since MP3, and that introduced motion controls (a pretty big game changer) so I'm sure it'll bring something new to the table. At this point MP4 is just a placeholder name given the troubled development, so that might change. It might not (probably won't) even be a Switch mk I title now.

25 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Which they probably will do. If Nintendo are trying to broaden the appeal of Metroid, they aren't going to call it Metroid Prime 4. I could see it being a reboot of sorts. 

On 31/12/2018 at 19:02, deKay said:

Grim Fandango is full of weird game breaking bugs. On the PS4 and Vita at least. So many times I thought I’d done something wrong but it was the game being broken :(

Yeah - here's one where I was in the central forest location, returned to where I left the car; this is what I saw. That weird blob to the right of the shed is the car with Glottis in it, top-down view. I thought I was properly boned (geddit), but a restart sorted it.

I mean, I've heard about placeholder art, but this is ridiculous.

grim_error.thumb.jpg.81562df6e9ff20c590c7871639c9c91d.jpg

• Upvote 2

I remember coming in here a few times and moaning about the Switch's power method and got negged. Here we are again, not played it since xmas and now trying to turn it on to try Tetris. Does it come on? nope. 20mins have passed now and it's still not recharged. I cannot stress how mental this is, it really needs to be the no1 priority with Switch 2. It really shouldn't be more than 1 minute.

• Downvote 5

Just 100% the Yoshi demo.

Its aright. Like a less shit Yoshi’s story rather than a more basic Yoshi’s Island.

it took 20yrs but we finally have a decent 2.5D platformer that makes use of 3D really well

So, it was Tetris 99 that made me finally pony up for family online. Well played, Nintendo.

(Pokemon Let's Go doesn't sync, that sucks)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Capwn said:

I remember coming in here a few times and moaning about the Switch's power method and got negged. Here we are again, not played it since xmas and now trying to turn it on to try Tetris. Does it come on? nope. 20mins have passed now and it's still not recharged. I cannot stress how mental this is, it really needs to be the no1 priority with Switch 2. It really shouldn't be more than 1 minute.

I'm not really convinced this will be their first priority.

If you know it's going to take so long to turn on then you should put it on charge earlier or not shove it in a draw and forget about it for a few months....

Mine's only ever gone flat once or twice and I don't recall it taking so long, it's supposed to need 5% to start up which should work out to be just over 10 minutes when you consider 4 hours are needed for a full charge. Are you using the nintendo charger or are you using something 3rd party i.e. phone charger? Have you tried hard resetting it at all?

I mean, you leave it in the dock when you aren't using it, right? Why would you NOT do that? Totally artificial problem.

EDIT: The Vita is similar - because it saves a little bit of juice to go into a rest mode and not blitz your in progress game. Downside being that if you charge it from empty it has to get past this threshold of being able to go into this suspended mode before it starts. So it's a feature, not a bug!

• Upvote 4

Just now, SozzlyJoe said:

I mean, you leave it in the dock when you aren't using it, right? Why would you NOT do that? Totally artificial problem.

Maybe the dock isn't included in Canada?

I mean, consider the 3DS. Yes, it lets you start up with a minute of plugging in, but what happens when you run out of juice? You're screwed, that's what. Instant off, game lost - mid save whatever, tough shit. With a Switch or Vita, you get to 5% power (or whatever), it suspends and gives you a chance to plug it in at your leisure. The trade off being, if you are charging from zero you need to get to that 5% threshold.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Luseth said:
2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Mine's only ever gone flat once or twice and I don't recall it taking so long, it's supposed to need 5% to start up which should work out to be just over 10 minutes when you consider 4 hours are needed for a full charge. Are you using the nintendo charger or are you using something 3rd party i.e. phone charger? Have you tried hard resetting it at all?

Yeah I leave it in the dock all the time. Just unplug it once I'm 'done' with a game and it can be left unplugged for months. I'm using all official equipment. For sure I could put it on 20mins before using it but sometimes something just happens and you want to turn it on, like last night upon hearing of Tetris99. 

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Yeah I leave it in the dock all the time. Just unplug it once I'm 'done' with a game and it can be left unplugged for months. 

This is weird

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TehStu said:

So, it was Tetris 99 that made me finally pony up for family online. Well played, Nintendo.

(Pokemon Let's Go doesn't sync, that sucks)

Same here!

£26 on shopto for anyone after a bit of a deal!

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

EDIT: The Vita is similar - because it saves a little bit of juice to go into a rest mode and not blitz your in progress game. Downside being that if you charge it from empty it has to get past this threshold of being able to go into this suspended mode before it starts. So it's a feature, not a bug!

My Vita took a week (I’m not kidding) to come back on after it ran flat, plugged in for 7 days befor pe it came on :o 

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah I leave it in the dock all the time. Just unplug it once I'm 'done' with a game and it can be left unplugged for months. I'm using all official equipment. For sure I could put it on 20mins before using it but sometimes something just happens and you want to turn it on, like last night upon hearing of Tetris99. 

Is electricity in limited supply in Canada?

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

ss-02.original.jpg

:omg:

How, when, what, whaaaa :o 

Dunno, powering something you aren't going to use for months is a bit pointless, think of the polar bears. When I got my switch back from my sister's kids I was definitely surprised at how long it took to turn on after starting it charging, compared to a phone, laptop, ipad etc. Definitely long enough to prompt me to google if it was fucked or not.