deKay

Nintendo Switch

54 minutes ago, David Heath said:

The official adjustable charging stand is nice.

I thought it could hold power within the unit and charge the Switch independently from a plug socket, and it can't, but it's still a smart little device, and about ten billion times better than dismantling the monstrous plastic Rubik's cube of embarrassment that is the Hori contraption.

Overall, eight Davina McCall's out of a possible ten Davinas.

The power cable going into the side rather than the back has dropped it down to 5 Davina's for me.

• Upvote 1

I think the vowel-manglers at My Life In Gaming did an episode on gaming on 4K TVs recently. They’re generally excellent, so it  could be worth a look if you’re not happy with your 4K output (I skipped it as I’m 1080p for the foreseeable). 

15 hours ago, JPickford said:

Nope.  You don't really need anything else if you are getting games on cartridge.

Not quite right - if you are going to record lots of video clips, you’ll need a card as the Switch limits itself to a hundred clips on board the hardware for some daft reason.

29 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Not quite right - if you are going to record lots of video clips, you’ll need a card as the Switch limits itself to a hundred clips on board the hardware for some daft reason.

And some games require extra space that you'll rapidly run out of if you don't have a sd card.

44 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah that's what I meant by needed to do so at some point, but I don't recon it's a day 1 thing :)

There are some really good games that are also only available digitally. You medically need DDMRDX in your veins

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

According to EG, the cable is legit

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-marseille-mcable-gaming-edition-review

But I have to concur it is nowhere near worth that money

To be honest. 4k monitors make an horrible conversion. The PS4 Pro upscale the games so well that I just wanted something like that.

But yes the price is a bit stupid. 

Not as stupid as any mobile phone over £300 thought. (I'm just celebrating  my £129 Moto g5 first birthday) 

Doesn't look quite as dire as the official Harvest Moon game, but still looks pretty crap:

In better news, Rock Boshers DX is coming to the Switch next month:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Flub said:

And some games require extra space that you'll rapidly run out of if you don't have a sd card.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah that's what I meant by needed to do so at some point, but I don't recon it's a day 1 thing :)

Nearly a year in with a big heap of physical games and a fair amount of screenshots, and I haven't had to think about internal storage at all. I have avoided those stupid "download required to play the game" un-carts though, which seem to be the worst of both worlds. Still amazed Nintendo allowed those to exist.

3 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Apologies if already asked... is Tetris Effect coming to Switch?

I hope so but I doubt it. Rez Infinite would be nice as well.

But never say never as the Switch is kicking ass in Japan at the moment so that might get the attention of the money men. 

The only games I still miss for the switch is are AAA fighting games.

I would love a portable version of SFV . I know it is impossible. Well then give me a Tekken , or a Soul Calibour.

I love Arms! It is like 90% neutral game and then some fun items.

But It needs more players. Hopefully smash will bring a lot of people.

On a side note I find weird that no GTA-like game has been ported to the console yet. 

33 minutes ago, daifuco said:

The only games I still miss for the switch is are AAA fighting games.

I would love a portable version of SFV . I know it is impossible. Well then give me a Tekken , or a Soul Calibour.

It has Dragon Ball FighterZ at least and that's one of the biggest fighting games of the moment.

I was quite surprised Soulcalibur wasn't announced for Switch. With regard to Street Fighter V I really wish the specifics of the deal with Sony were known. I'd love to see it on other platforms. I think I'd prefer USFIV on Switch though (especially if they made Team Battle available offline).

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Rumour is we may get some Metroid Prime 4 info at the VGAs. :omg:

There's also a rumour that F-Zero S is hitting the Switch eShop next week.

On 12/11/2018 at 23:25, ryodi said:

Sphinx and the Cursee Mummy was a great platformer where they bizarrely seemed to have done all of the animation work for voice acting and then not included any. 

Oh my! Sphinx is brilliant; very reminiscent of Zelda and one of the most underrated games of the PS2 era for me. Completely bizarre that they've plucked it out of nowhere to stick it on the Switch, of course. 

12 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

According to EG, the cable is legit

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-marseille-mcable-gaming-edition-review

But I have to concur it is nowhere near worth that money

I just realized that Linus  on YouTube actually reviewed the cable! It actually seems to be the Rolls Royce of the HDMI cables.

I think it is a super useful cable and great for legacy stuff.  Think of  vita TV, Wii games running on Wii U, Dreamcast with hdmi converter!!! , Retropie!!!

So I'm reordering it!!!. :facepalm:

https://ninjabox.bn-ent.net/

■ What is Ninja Box?

Ninja Box is a completely new and original project from Bandai Namco Entertainment.

■ What kind of game is it?

The theme is building. Create your very own secret base—the only one in the world! Build your own relaxation space! Gather materials to make parts and traps! You can even create gigantic forts!

■ Super Cool Characters

Tonkachi

A ridiculous, always festive, show-off ninja from Tatemakuri Village. He records and uploads videos from his smartphone, which is attached to his forehead, and while they are not popular, he is always only thinking about how to get more views. The hammer that he carries is actually a high-tech item!?

Hiroto

A fifth grade boy with normal grades, normal reflexes—super normal everything. However, his reactions are exceptionally large. He meets Tonkachi and gets wrapped up in building a base.

On 14/11/2018 at 11:47, daifuco said:

If sometimes you feel like a fool for spending too much money on something remember this:

I just ordered a £117 hdmi cable.

It has an upscaler so it should make a difference on how it looks on a 4k monitor.

Most decent TVs upscale 1080p to 4k fine but monitors look rough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075M4YDV8/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I bought it mainly for the switch but it will be interesting to try with other devices like vita TV or raspberry pies.

18 hours ago, daifuco said:

I just realized that Linus  on YouTube actually reviewed the cable! It actually seems to be the Rolls Royce of the HDMI cables.

I think it is a super useful cable and great for legacy stuff.  Think of  vita TV, Wii games running on Wii U, Dreamcast with hdmi converter!!! , Retropie!!!

So I'm reordering it!!!. :facepalm:

Second hand av amp has to be a better choice and will do component etc?

I took the plunge and bought a switch this week. I got a bundle from very with odyssey and Mario kart and bought into the breach as soon as it arrived.  First week impressions are that this is an incredible device, I'm loving the versatility of it and taking it handheld when I'm Cooking or in bed. I've already bought splatoon 2, Mario rabbids and tennis, oh and runner 3 on sale. And for anyone who hasn't already got into the breach must do immediately as it is brilliant, clever and extremely addictive. 

• Upvote 4