deKay

Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Duke said:

Can anyone recommend any switch titles that would be good for a three year old to play? 

Thinking about getting a switch or a 2DS for my son and not sure which one would be better.  Have visions of a cracked Switch screen happening quickly. 

I'd recommend one of those cheap kindle tablets. 

My daughter whose recently turned four loves playing the Kirby demo on Switch, as well as messing about in Mario Odyssey. 

A doorwedge style 2DS is quite cheap and can take some bashing though, would never trust a child as young as 3 with a switch in handheld mode. 

• Upvote 2

For that age, definitely. The kids version comes with a 2 year, no questions asked warranty (in US, anyway). And the thick bumper shell to put it in. They also (here) throw in a year's sub to the free apps/books thing.

My 5 year old still gets frustrated with my DS, as the screen is pokey and he needs to be better at ready. Fully touch interfaces tend to be more pre-reading friendly. Like, he knows his way around Pokemon Quest, for instance.

5 hours ago, Duke said:

Can anyone recommend any switch titles that would be good for a three year old to play? 

Thinking about getting a switch or a 2DS for my son and not sure which one would be better.  Have visions of a cracked Switch screen happening quickly. 

My 3 year old loves Mario Kart 8 with all the assists turned on. Picking his charaxter and vehicle is probably his favourite bit.

I don't let him play handheld though.

6 hours ago, Duke said:

We got our son a 2DS when he was 3, he hasn’t broken it, his sister did when she chucked it down the stairs in a car park, but it’s survived a surprising amount of abuse prior to this and my son has managed to learn how to game with NSMB2 and the two Kirby games, he’s now 6 and has all moons on Mario Odyssey, plays online Mario Kart/Splatoon and lots of Minecraft on Switch.

i think a Switch is a bit too much for a 3 year old to grasp but a 2DS is a great way to ease a child into gaming.

Thanks for the replies, going to go for the wedge 2DS with Mario Kart and see how he gets on with it.  I have a switch myself so will let him have a go when he is at my house and see how he gets on with it as well. 

18 hours ago, CovisGod said:

The version coming out next week you have to pay for apparently, you need to buy the Founders Pack but I have no idea how much that will cost. 

There's a free to play version coming later in the year 

The early access champions pack will be £24:99. It give you access to all the champions immediately, and any that are added in future as well. It's essentially a 'season pass'.

The free version, coming in a few months, will be the same game - but you'll have to grind to unlock the content, some will be on rotation etc

Waking up to Fallout on Switch :D

Waking up to Fallout Shelter on Switch... :coffee:

Though maybe I'm being unfair. Will definitely give it go but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a 3/NV remaster.

Suppose I could cling to the hope that this is a sign of something more to come, in the way Shelter preceded FO4.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Fallout Shelter is an FTP mobile game, it's no better or worse than most of the others.

It's free and available now on Switch - 1.4GB for anyone with storage concerns ;)

My SD card has run out of space - I need a bigger one but don't want to be swappig cards in and out... is it easy to get games off of my existing SD card and onto a new one?

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

Perhaps they'll port Fallout 4? They've already done some ground work by porting Skyrim, since it's the same engine.

Fingers crossed for that or a Fallout 3/New Vegas definitive edition. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Much.

Just now, Stanley said:

Fingers crossed for that or a Fallout 3/New Vegas definitive edition. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Much.

I was getting my hopes up - a chance to replay Fallout 3 and finally playing New Vegas handheld on the Switch. I'd have been very very excited.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

No word of a lie, this is my favourite game of E3 so far. Looks amazing. 

Edit: such is my enthusiasm, I'm made a thread for it. 

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, scottcr said:

My SD card has run out of space - I need a bigger one but don't want to be swappig cards in and out... is it easy to get games off of my existing SD card and onto a new one?

Just copy the contents of the old card to the new one with a PC.