deKay

Nintendo Switch

'Stonermonkey' will be called Gorillemur. I guarantee it*.

* I don't guarantee it, but it does look like a gorilla/lemur hybrid.

Oh, and #TeamPlatyduck

I have it on X1, but never play it because, you know, I have a Switch. Will pick this up when I can find time.

Still working my way through Steamworld Dig 2, Skyrim, Zelda (still have two more shrines to find + DLC), Odyssey and I have an unopened copy of Bayonetta to work through for the third time on as many consoles. 

Switch is the tits.

• Upvote 1

Got a dispatch message from Simply Games for Payday 2 so should arrive tomorrow.

Got FIFA 18 coming also from Amazon. Rude not to at that price. 

32 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I need to know if Payday uses gyro controls now like Doom.  I won't accept anything less.

It doesn't no. Not on release anyway.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/guide_payday_2_faq_-_everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_co-op_heist_shooter

Are motion controls supported in the Switch version of Payday 2?

Sadly not! At least not at launch.

This might be of interest to anyone considering it (which I am, hence I found it):

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/guide_how_does_payday_2_on_switch_compare_to_other_console_versions

In terms of content, the Nintendo Switch edition isn't that much different from the current version available on PS4. There are 58 missions on PS4 right now, and 50 available on Nintendo Switch. However, it should be noted that some of these heists on PS4 require paid-for DLC, while a number of these heists have been included as standard on Switch at launch.

Weapons
Regarding weapons, there's the same number of killing tools available in both the Switch iteration and the one available on other consoles. 

Masks
There are well over 300 masks on PS4, but only 278 on Switch. Many of these locked behind progression tiers and post-game card rewards in both versions, so while one number is higher than the other, that's still a massive selection of identity-hiding accessories packed into the handheld version. 

Playable Characters
There 17 playable characters on Switch and 16 on other consoles, but that additional heister - Joy, the hacker - is a timed exclusive only. She'll eventually come to the other versions of the game.

Technical Updates
The other area where things get a little more complicated - and something that's been getting a lot of traction on Reddit - is where the Nintendo Switch entry stands in terms of technical updates.

Based on the content included alone, it appears the game is around a year behind other platforms, but it's still a murky situation as the game includes the John Wick character but no Continental missions. However, it does include the Hotline Miami missions and a tie-in mask. 

The Switch version includes community-made billboard designs, but doesn't include the other content that was patched in when these changes were made on other platforms. It's a complicated situation, to say the least.

It's also important to note that the PS4 and Xbox One versions are behind the PC entry in terms of updates, and the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions haven't been updated since 2015. Issues with update parity have dogged Payday 2 on other platforms for years, so the problem is a frustrating one, but not all that surprising. 

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Plenty of games... I fancy this but will wait to see if they patch in gyro controls

I think that's where I'm at - I fancy it, but will wait to see some reviews and if it gets anything in terms of post-launch support...

10 hours ago, clippa said:

You prefer it to mousey keyboard?

I do.  I’m probably slightly more faster and accurate with mouse and k/b.  But I’ve become more proficient with the Steam controller using a combination of right track pad which replicates a trackball for mouse like quick movement and gyro for fine tune aiming.  I generally I prefer using the Steam controller as it lends itself more to a comfy couch setup.

The trackball is a minor revelation on the Steam controller, a notch up from an analogue stick for FPS games, but the most important thing for aiming are the gyros in there. I think sticks are fine for camera movement and general looking around. It's pointing at things quickly  on a screen where they feel really clunky and clumsy.

Personally, my preference is for the free reticle of pointer controls and the separation of camera and aiming. The feeling of actually pointing a weapon in FPS games and it not being weirdly locked to your head movement. Sadly it looks like the only place we'll be getting that kind of thing in future is in VR. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

The steam controller has a trackball? Where?

It's actually a trackpad but you can setup it up to emulate a trackball which is quite brilliant as the haptics tick over as if there is a ball within the pad as you swipe.  You can adjust the amount of friction from high, medium to low to adjust the amount of momentum you generate from a swipe.  Really the Steam controller is amazingly flexible.

Jesus. I managed about 2 mins of that PD2 video. When he couldn’t open the big bin I bailed.

Shit graphics, terrible voice acting, dire interface, long, random pauses, twitchy controls.

That was fucking embarrassing. :lol:

Seriously, anyone who was planning to spend money on that put your hard-earned into Dragon Quest Builders instead. You will name your firstborn after me.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

£32.99 in Argos for anyone brave enough to get Payday 2. 

Do you have some sort of investment in it? Everytime someone says something bad, or posts a link to something bad from the game or the company, you're straight in with a defensive post.

@Mr TonyNot at all. 

Its a game I’ve enjoyed coming to the switch. I would hardly say posting where it’s cheap or hoping for a patch is defensive?

What’s your problem? Is this because I corrected you about the micro transactions? 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

What’s your problem? Is this because I corrected you about the micro transactions? 

There's no problem. It wasn't an attack, it was just a question. Every time someone has posted something negative, you've had a defensive answer. If you enjoy the game, that's awesome.

My payday posts have amounted to:

The dlc is included good, I’m preordering.

I hope there is a patch.

Correcting you on the micro transactions.

Assuming VNIX hasn’t played it as it always has looked dreadful.

Thats it. Not sure where I’m defending it, I don’t even know if I’m going to buy it yet.