deKay

Nintendo Switch

a 2DS android hybrid with Nintendo designed hardware controls to bridge the gap. Apple beat Nintendo to the punch with their QoL/Health stuff, in the west at least, so maybe the hybrid is the next best option.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some didn't understand what Wii U was when it was first announced. I understood then but they've completely messed with my silly little brain on this one. No idea what they're going on about.

I've heard a lot of speculation that Nintendo's next console will be some kind of portable/home hybrid, like the Wii U Gamepad but without the console component, which I think sounds like the worst of both worlds.

I would miss having a 'true' portable like the 3DS that I could take in my travel bag, & having slim everything down to fit into the form factor while still being affordable would mean the device would take a hit in power too. Nintendo have finally joined the HD age & their games look awesome on a 1080p TV, so designing for a portable screen again would be a step back IMO.

Some didn't understand what Wii U was when it was first announced.

Some? Some?! Christ, a lot of people don't understand what the Wii U is even now, so Nintendo trying to explain whatever the fuck this ends up being is a near guaranteed disaster.

• Upvote 3

Wasn't there that rumour that the new handheld and new home console would share a platform, so you'd be playing the same software on the handheld, just at a lower resolution? Kind of like how most of the PS4 indie games are also on Vita, but by sharing actual hardware similarities it could be implemented more gracefully.

I could see that working. Android microconsoles have been trying to crack that for ages but the failures have more to do with lack of software support than any issue with the concept.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't there that rumour that the new handheld and new home console would share a platform, so you'd be playing the same software on the handheld, just at a lower resolution? Kind of like how most of the PS4 indie games are also on Vita, but by sharing actual hardware similarities it could be implemented more gracefully.

I could see that working. Android microconsoles have been trying to crack that for ages but the failures have more to do with lack of software support than any issue with the concept.

Yeah, I think that's right. Whenever I hear about a new micro console, my heart always sinks when I read it's going to be based on Android. Nothing wrong with the platform in of itself, but the big games just aren't there. If Nintendo put their software houses behind the problem, they could well crack it, although they'll need all sorts of copy protection to protect software sales if they're going anywhere near Android.

If they're saying next to nothing aside from 'more info next year' - why even bother to announce it now?

Probably a tablet that slots into a Wii U style controller with a charging doc/receiver so you can play it on your TV also..

Sorry guys, this should probably be in the tech folder.

It's a game console. Rllmuk is a games forum. So it's on topic. If it were off topic, it'd go somewhere else.

I'm going to out my hand up and say the NX is a Steambox. Can you imagine the rivers of tears?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If they're saying next to nothing aside from 'more info next year' - why even bother to announce it now?

Probably a tablet that slots into a Wii U style controller with a charging doc/receiver so you can play it on your TV also..

I think their hand was forced by the mobile announcement - they had to reaffirm their commitment to hardware to avoid the 'Nintendo abandons consoles' headlines.

Still, it does rather cut the legs off of the Wii U. I reckon we'll see a late 2016/early 2017 release for whatever this is.

Touchscreen controls are the antithesis of how most Nintendo games have always worked - they rely on (and are known for) precise control..

Put buttons and a pad on it large enough to be worthwhile and it's no longer a slim phone..

There doesn't seem to be any workable solution to either of those things..

Even a controller add-on means something else to carry round with it..

My shot in the dark: it's a new DS (with easy porting from consoles yada yada), except the top screen now has a capactive touchscreen that can swivel around so you can play the touchscreen phone ports too. Game-changer! Or something.

If Nintendo managed to make an iPhone competitor? And actually pulled it off?

With added Nintendo games?!?

They'd own the world again.

They wouldn't. And Nintendo aren't good at software (not games), they're years behind the times. I mean, they've just announced an account system.