Jump to content
IGNORED

Top Gun: Maverick


JohnC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tom Cruise is problematic.  The US military-industrial complex which has killed 20m people since WW2 is insanely problematic.  The people that will like this movie the most will be the people I hate the most, and yet I think this is the movie I am most looking forward to this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Admiral Iceman is unsure.

A few shots look too CGI there, can jets really do all of that? <_<

 

 

1KoQTccz.png

 

LOL.  That ship sailed about 10 minutes into the original movie.

mav_and_the_bird2crop5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Admiral Iceman is unsure.

A few shots look too CGI there, can jets really do all of that? <_<

 

 

1KoQTccz.png

 

Wait a minute- Val Kilmer is mentioned and his image shown, but isn't in it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do wonder what kind of role he’ll have in the film. His looks and his voice have been absolutely ravaged by cancer, and I haven’t seen a film he’s been in since Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It would be very odd if they did some kind of CGI tidying up of his looks, and recreated his voice using AI (which he has apparently been doing). I hope his part is suitably dignified. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, K said:

I hope his part is suitably dignified. 

 

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise petitioned for him to be in it, so if he's willing to go out to bat for him like that, I'd like to think they'll do him right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

He'll be the bad guy somehow. 

No way. He's now an admiral but if he doesn't dust off his flight suit and jump in a plane to help save the day as Maverick's wingman I'll demand my money back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is that stealthy plane/drone in the trailer?  It's the only thing in the trailer that bothers me.  The final act is either a Maverick in a (made up?) stealth plane solo mission to Someplacestan or him showing his dogfighting superiority over an AI controlled plane?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's the flyover, and also a shot towards the end of a plane doing a cobra-like maneuver as seen from cruises cockpit. In that you get a good underside silhouette look at the plane; doesnt look familiar to me (unless it's one of those russian/chinese f22 copies). So yeah.

 

Also, if Kilmer looks like shit due to a battle with cancer, I dont see why they couldnt write that into the character. As admiral, he is in what is presumably a deskjob for the most part, afterall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Early on, there was talk of him having to go up against some kind of advanced drone.

So it's a remake of Stealth (2005) by Rob Cohen. I suppose it was 17 years ago so most of us will have forgotten the plot , as it were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

There's the flyover, and also a shot towards the end of a plane doing a cobra-like maneuver as seen from cruises cockpit. In that you get a good underside silhouette look at the plane; doesnt look familiar to me (unless it's one of those russian/chinese f22 copies). So yeah.

 

Also, if Kilmer looks like shit due to a battle with cancer, I dont see why they couldnt write that into the character. As admiral, he is in what is presumably a deskjob for the most part, afterall.


That’s an SU-57 I believe.

DFABC2A5-45ED-4A9B-827A-D25ED679DCD1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ilpostino said:

 

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise petitioned for him to be in it, so if he's willing to go out to bat for him like that, I'd like to think they'll do him right.


Me too. I just wonder whether Tom Cruise’s idea of what’s cool and normal is slightly different to everyone else’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.