IGNORED

Top Gun: Maverick

JohnC

Tom Cruise is problematic.  The US military-industrial complex which has killed 20m people since WW2 is insanely problematic.  The people that will like this movie the most will be the people I hate the most, and yet I think this is the movie I am most looking forward to this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Admiral Iceman is unsure.

A few shots look too CGI there, can jets really do all of that? <_<

1KoQTccz.png

LOL.  That ship sailed about 10 minutes into the original movie.

mav_and_the_bird2crop5.png

23 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Admiral Iceman is unsure.

A few shots look too CGI there, can jets really do all of that? <_<

1KoQTccz.png

Wait a minute- Val Kilmer is mentioned and his image shown, but isn't in it?

I do wonder what kind of role he’ll have in the film. His looks and his voice have been absolutely ravaged by cancer, and I haven’t seen a film he’s been in since Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It would be very odd if they did some kind of CGI tidying up of his looks, and recreated his voice using AI (which he has apparently been doing). I hope his part is suitably dignified. 

18 minutes ago, K said:

I hope his part is suitably dignified. 

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise petitioned for him to be in it, so if he's willing to go out to bat for him like that, I'd like to think they'll do him right.

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

He'll be the bad guy somehow. 

No way. He's now an admiral but if he doesn't dust off his flight suit and jump in a plane to help save the day as Maverick's wingman I'll demand my money back.

What is that stealthy plane/drone in the trailer?  It's the only thing in the trailer that bothers me.  The final act is either a Maverick in a (made up?) stealth plane solo mission to Someplacestan or him showing his dogfighting superiority over an AI controlled plane?

There's the flyover, and also a shot towards the end of a plane doing a cobra-like maneuver as seen from cruises cockpit. In that you get a good underside silhouette look at the plane; doesnt look familiar to me (unless it's one of those russian/chinese f22 copies). So yeah.

Also, if Kilmer looks like shit due to a battle with cancer, I dont see why they couldnt write that into the character. As admiral, he is in what is presumably a deskjob for the most part, afterall.

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Early on, there was talk of him having to go up against some kind of advanced drone.

So it's a remake of Stealth (2005) by Rob Cohen. I suppose it was 17 years ago so most of us will have forgotten the plot , as it were.

5 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

There's the flyover, and also a shot towards the end of a plane doing a cobra-like maneuver as seen from cruises cockpit. In that you get a good underside silhouette look at the plane; doesnt look familiar to me (unless it's one of those russian/chinese f22 copies). So yeah.

Also, if Kilmer looks like shit due to a battle with cancer, I dont see why they couldnt write that into the character. As admiral, he is in what is presumably a deskjob for the most part, afterall.

That’s an SU-57 I believe.

DFABC2A5-45ED-4A9B-827A-D25ED679DCD1.jpeg

21 hours ago, ilpostino said:

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise petitioned for him to be in it, so if he's willing to go out to bat for him like that, I'd like to think they'll do him right.

Me too. I just wonder whether Tom Cruise’s idea of what’s cool and normal is slightly different to everyone else’s.