rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Top Gun: Maverick

14 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Oh aye, good spot!

It'll be interesting to see why they're being used I guess.

EDIT: The one they used was apparently pulled from a museum!

It's still a cracking plane. Maybe Tom pops over to Iran and nicks one of theirs? :lol:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

It's still a cracking plane. Maybe Tom pops over to Iran and nicks one of theirs? :lol:

Mission Impossible tie-in! 

• Upvote 2

Just as a side note. The Tomcat at the end was the only downside of the trailer for me. It's very obviously CGI and really detracts from the absolutely marvellous other shots. The rest of the trailer tho, so so good.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this looks like how I imagined it in my head, rather than how I expected it to turn out. Which is great! Looks like people are putting proper effort in!

• Upvote 1

It boggles the mind that Ed Harris is only ten years older than Tom Cruise. Cruise’s satanic, ageless face is going to look odd in scenes with Val Kilmer, unless they’re giving him the Marvel digital de-aging treatment just to keep pace with Tom. 

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Great trailer that.

Nice to see theres more volley ball in it :eyebrows:

You just know Cruise is going to look the most shredded in it too.

Favourite trailer of the year so far. Total fan service but that is absolutely fine :wub: 

2 hours ago, K said:

It boggles the mind that Ed Harris is only ten years older than Tom Cruise. Cruise’s satanic, ageless face is going to look odd in scenes with Val Kilmer, unless they’re giving him the Marvel digital de-aging treatment just to keep pace with Tom. 

Ed Harris is an old-looking guy by Hollywood standards. He was only 46 when he was in The Rock and already had a grandad look about him.

It’s become pretty much the most important film in production for me! That trailer just hits all the right notes of nostalgia while keeping it fairly subdued.

Visually it already looks incredible so biggest, loudest screen day one I will be there.

When Maverick says (and he fucking will) “Mustang, this is Maverick requesting flyby” people are going to cheer. Its going to be like Endgame when certain things happen.

Ive never been overly precious about remakes or sequels of this nature but if they fuck this up it will break my heart.

• Upvote 1

I didnt even know this was a thing 5 minutes ago, but fuckit, I'm on board.  :D

Now, to invite a bit of baseless speculation ontop of all the plane-talk........as well as the hornets and tomcats (good eye btw), I also noticed they have unusual looking flightsuits/helmets in a few scenes (you can see cruise has a neckring during his 'chat'). Have to wonder what that is about. Reminds me a hell of a lot of the high-altitude gear you'd have U2 pilots using back in the day.

I think the helmet is basically ‘Hollywood’ license. The proper super hornet helmet, which tracks targets etc pretty much obscures the pilot’s face. So they’ve  just gone and retconned some other design. It’s an odd design choice as it’s far too small but hey ho I can live with it.

The neck ring is an odd one and does point to some pressurised malarkey. I hope we’re not going to go down a too implausible route (of course, within the bounds of a film about an aging top gun pilot who flew upside down a meter above a mig). There’s plenty of topics they could cover yet still keep the tech and mechanics of flight reasonably accurate.

It looks like they've actually got him in the back of a two seater F-18 in some of those shots. I hope that's true, it all looked real enough that the F-14 at the end looked well janky.

Kenny Loggins/10, can't wait. 

Yesterday shall been henceforth known as Top Gun 2 day and what a day it was - so much so I had the Top Gun sound track booming out in the way into work.

Soo hyped for this film, that trailer is an utter banger and the way the music was used was perfect.

Obv if it was a video game it would be a cynical cash grab playing on the nostalgia of idiots ;) 

Watched Top Gun for the first time in maybe 15 years last night with the wife. So, so, so good.

Then put this trailer on. First time I’ve ever said Tom Cruise looks old.

As a kid I always thought Top Gun was total boring shit and it’s never crossed my mind since, so I’ve got zero nostalgia for it.

Now everyone around me is going on about this new trailer like it’s the second coming and I feel totally left out of this love in. What have I done?

• Empathy 1